BlackBerry surprises with quarterly profit, ships 1M Z10 phones

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
BlackBerry on Thursday said demand for its new flagship Z10 handset helped produce a net income of $98 million ? a minor surprise during a transitional quarter for the previously spiraling company.

While the Canadian smartphone maker, formerly known as Research in Motion, surprised by posting a profit, its quarterly revenue of $2.7 billion was still seen as a disappointment. In addition, the company only shipped 6 million total smartphones, while a million of those were its new Z10.

BlackBerry 10

A poll of Wall Street analysts by Thomson Reuters had forecast BlackBerry to post a loss of about 29 cents per share. In the same quarter a year ago, the company had lost $118 million.

Still, the Z10 shipments were a relatively positive sign for the company's revamped BlackBerry 10 platform. That device launched a few weeks before the end of the quarter, and only in Canada, the U.K. and United Arab Emirates. It began expanding to the U.S. last week.

While BlackBerry was once a dominant player in the smartphone market, major shifts in recent years have made it a fringe competitor. For example, Apple sold nearly eight times as many iPhones last quarter as BlackBerry shipped smartphones in its latest print, demonstrating the gap between the two companies.

"We have implemented numerous changes at BlackBerry over the past year and those changes have resulted in the company returning to profitability in the fourth quarter," said Thorsten Heins, BlackBerry's president and CEO. "With the launch of BlackBerry 10, we have introduced the newest and what we believe to be the most innovative mobile computing platform in the market today. Customers love the device and the user experience, and our teams and partners are now focused on getting those devices into the hands of BlackBerry consumer and enterprise customers."

As of the end of the company's fourth fiscal quarter of 2013, which concluded on March 2, BlackBerry had about $2.9 billion in cash, cash equivalents, short-term and long-term investments.

"As we go into our new fiscal year, we are excited with the opportunities for the BlackBerry 10 platform, and the commitments we are seeing from our global developers and partners," Heins said. "We are also excited about the new, dynamic culture at BlackBerry, where we are laser-focused on continuing to drive efficiency and improve the Company?s profitability while driving innovation. We have built an engine that is able to drive improved financial performance at lower volumes, which should allow us to generate additional benefits from higher volumes in the future."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    rabbit_coachrabbit_coach Posts: 1,114member

I wish them luck!

If it wasn' for the lack of ecosystem, the Z10 is certainly the second most appealing smartphone to me.

• Reply 2 of 58
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Who the hell bought the other 5million 2YO smartphones?

Anyway, Good luck blackberry. F*ck the analysts and media always trying to push the ones that try new and good things down.

• Reply 3 of 58

Hmmm... and the shares were less than $8 per a few weeks ago. Might have been sensible to have picked up a few for shits and giggles.

• Reply 4 of 58
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Curious as to how they generate $2.7 billion.

I wish them luck too
  • Reply 5 of 58
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    It was 1,000,000 shipments, not sales. With a new device, its called filling the channels.
  • Reply 6 of 58
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  

• Reply 7 of 58
    umumumumumum Posts: 76member

Quote:

Originally Posted by FreeRange View Post

It was 1,000,000 shipments, not sales. With a new device, its called filling the channels.

according to complaints made by european carriers, apple does exactly the same...

carriers get a quota to sell, if they don't sell them, the carrier has to eat the cost

i.e. apple shipped, called them sales, but no way to know how many were actually bought by end-users

it's called screwing the carriers, which i heartily approve of, they screw their users enough

• Reply 8 of 58

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  Inflated records!  

Take a look at my reply, hope it might give you some knowlegde about that country lol http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156668/apple-said-to-triple-retail-operations-in-india-by-2015

• Reply 9 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by umumum View Post

carriers get a quota to sell, if they don't sell them, the carrier has to eat the cost

Ummm..... do you have a point you're trying to make here? You just defined "actual sales" for Apple, since the carrier has to "eat the cost". Not shipments. (Btw, do you see a lot of "buy one get one free deals" on the iPhone where you live? On which carrier? When?).

Also, you're exaggerating the EU situation, which calls into question your credibility. (i) It is not a formal "complaint" yet; (ii) The competition guys have proactively taken this on, and are at the exploratory stage to see if there's something here; (iii) It's only the smaller carriers that are 'complaining'. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/22/business/global/iphone-contracts-with-carriers-under-scrutiny-in-europe.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

This is not a forum for FUD (which, in my book, is an acronym for F'in Useless Data). Thanks.

• Reply 10 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by helicopterben View Post

I know you are on a spring break so your school is closed but make a good use of your time if you cannot afford a Vacation. 

Also take a look at my reply, hope it might give you some knowlegde about that country lol http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156668/apple-said-to-triple-retail-operations-in-india-by-2015

Ha ha hhaa!  I love you man!  

• Reply 11 of 58

Take a look at my reply, hope it might give you some knowlegde about that country lol http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/156668/apple-said-to-triple-retail-operations-in-india-by-2015

Definitely you are also from a third-world country. No doubt about it. :D :D You rock man! Hider.

• Reply 12 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

You're definitely on spring break.

• Reply 13 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You're definitely on spring break.

You definitely belong to the same country as helicopterben :) 

• Reply 14 of 58
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    WS spin: BBY gaining on iPhone. It's only a matter of time before the Z10 outsells the iPhone.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    I wish them luck!

If it wasn' for the lack of ecosystem, the Z10 is certainly the second most appealing smartphone to me.

They have a ecosystem it just lacks a multitude of quality apps.
  • Reply 16 of 58

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

They have a ecosystem it just lacks a multitude of quality apps.

Yep, that's what I actually meant to say. Compared to iOS and Android, it is as good as inexistent.

• Reply 17 of 58
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabbit_Coach View Post

I wish them luck!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Who the hell bought the other 5million 2YO smartphones?

Anyway, Good luck blackberry. F*ck the analysts and media always trying to push the ones that try new and good things down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Curious as to how they generate $2.7 billion.

I wish them luck too

I join this chorus; let's hope they are slowly on the way to recovery. It will be good news for all parties involved - competitors and consumers.

• Reply 18 of 58
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jungmark wrote: »
    WS spin: BBY gaining on iPhone. It's only a matter of time before the Z10 outsells the iPhone.

Why not? Microsoft is bragging their WinPhones are outselling the iPhone in certain countries.:lol:
    http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2013/03/28/idc-windows-phone-outsold-iphone-during-q4-in-argentina-russia-south-africa-ukraine-india-and-poland/
  • Reply 19 of 58

Blackberry success in this space just helps push Android (as a brand) further down to cheap/low margin handsets.

• Reply 20 of 58
    gusy32gusy32 Posts: 18member
    I doubt blackberry would be able to keep up with the innovation demands of the smartphone industry.