Rumor: iOS 7 to see significant overhaul, development running behind schedule

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
According to the well-connected John Gruber, iOS users will see a difference in the operating system's UI when iOS 7 is released presumably alongside the next-generation iPhone, but Apple is struggling to implement the changes on time.

iOS

Gruber, who runs Apple blog Daring Fireball, said Senior Vice President of Industrial Design and new head of Human Interface Jony Ive has apparently made noticeable visual tweaks to Apple's mobile platform. So much so, that "word on the street" has it that iOS engineers are required to put a polarizing filter over their iPhone displays to prevent onlookers from getting a glimpse of the new UI.

The rumor was revealed in a Branch discussion regarding the latest Apple talk, with a number of well-known bloggers airing out their thoughts on what the company has in store for 2013.

Rene Ritchie of iMore, another well-informed blogger, chimed in, saying, "Ive's work is apparently making many people really happy, but will also apparently make rich-texture-loving designers sad." The quip is in regard to the skeuomorphic designs seen in iOS 6, such as the stitching elements found in Apple's Find My Friends app.

Gruber claims that iOS 7 development is "running behind," prompting OS X 10.9 engineers to be pulled from their work to lend a hand in getting the mobile OS ready in time for launch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 91
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    I am cautiously optimistic. I think Tim and other execs felt extreme embarrassment over the Maps fiasco. I think they not only want to wow us again with many improvements but also test the hell out of it to avoid any bad press similar to what ensued with 6.0. I expect 7 to be the biggest change to iOS since they added the app store.
  • Reply 2 of 91
    A universal UI needs to be implemented between iOS and OS X. Hopefully sooner than later. This will surely benefit new Apple customers with ease of use and familiarity between the iOS devices and Macs. The experience is too messy right now. Do it right though, Apple, even it if takes time.
  • Reply 3 of 91
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    I hope they take their time. Redesigning iOS is a massive, and complex endeavor, seeing as how hundreds of millions of people use it and love it on a myriad of devices. Whatever new UI paradigms they implement will need to last for the next decade. There's also the vehemently anti-Apple press that will tear them a new one if there's any flaws/bugs/complexities/usability/compatibility issues. I'm looking forward to it, but they need to take their time and only unveil it when it's ready. On top of that, no doubt they're also redesigning OSX in parallel for unity of UI and features. This is quite possibly the biggest and most important software overhaul in Apple's history. The stakes couldn't be any higher.
  • Reply 4 of 91
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

So, if Apple is moving away from rich-texture designs and is opting for simple, then what's the point of a retina display, if the OS won't be taking full advantage of it? I'm not sure what I think of this new direction, but I guess that we'll know soon enough.

As for OS X and iOS, I hope that an OS X user sitting on a Mac Pro is not using an iOS desktop in the future. As for me, I haven't upgraded past Snow Leopard yet, and it's not because I don't have 19 dollars.

• Reply 5 of 91
    apple ][ wrote: »
    So, if Apple is moving away from rich-texture designs and is opting for simple, then what's the point of a retina display, if the OS won't be taking full advantage of it? I'm not sure what I think of this new direction, but I guess that we'll know soon enough.

As for OS X and iOS, I hope that an OS X user sitting on a Mac Pro is not using an iOS desktop in the future. As for me, I haven't upgraded past Snow Leopard yet, and it's not because I don't have 19 dollars.

That's stupid. Look at the passbook app for example, very flat and simple. Compare it on an iPhone 3GS and iPhone 5. The differences are huge.
  • Reply 6 of 91
    khitkhit Posts: 7member
    iOS is very good OS. I hope Apple will add widgets in the next OS.
  • Reply 7 of 91
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

You're right. The OS design is the only reason to have retina display.  image

• Reply 8 of 91
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    According to the well-connected John Gruber, iOS users will see a difference in the operating system's UI when iOS 7 is released presumably alongside the next-generation iPhone, but Apple is struggling to implement the changes on time.

So let's see if I can predict the FUD that's going to come from the usual trolls:

- Apple is incompetent since they are behind schedule.
    - Apple will have bugs because they didn't take their time releasing it.

- Apple is arbitrarily changing the UI and confusing users.
    - Apple's UI is stale and needs to be changed.

There will be 100 other self-contradictory complaints, but I'm to tired to write them all down.
  • Reply 9 of 91
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

You're right. The OS design is the only reason to have retina display.  image

It's not the only reason, but it is interesting and perhaps a little bit ironic that Apple is going more and more retina, and people keep whining about a mythical iPad Mini retina, and the OS is getting simpler looking at the same time.

I'm not passing any final judgement on the new OS, I haven't seen it and used it yet. It may end up being great, we'll see.

• Reply 10 of 91
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Retina displays impact TEXT above all else.

iOS will not stop displaying text.

"Textures" are not needed to get value from a retina display. (For that matter, even pure solid colors look better: less "screen door" effect.)

And I'll pile on with: take your time, Apple!
  • Reply 11 of 91
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member

Quote:

Gruber claims that iOS 7 development is "running behind," prompting OS X 10.9 engineers to be pulled from their work to lend a hand in getting the mobile OS ready in time for launch.

Doesn't Apple have enough money to hire some more good engineers?

• Reply 12 of 91
    slurpy wrote: »
    I hope they take their time. Redesigning iOS is a massive, and complex endeavor, seeing as how hundreds of millions of people use it and love it on a myriad of devices. Whatever new UI paradigms they implement will need to last for the next decade. There's also the vehemently anti-Apple press that will tear them a new one if there's any flaws/bugs/complexities/usability/compatibility issues. I'm looking forward to it, but they need to take their time and only unveil it when it's ready. On top of that, no doubt they're also redesigning OSX in parallel for unity of UI and features. This is quite possibly the biggest and most important software overhaul in Apple's history. The stakes couldn't be any higher.
    I agree. I've said it before and I say again...

They need to have a transformable iOS.

1) The tried and true iOS

2) A new button or down load that has the ability to load the new version.

This is the only way they can proceed without alienated everyone that loves and is familiar with the current iOS.

If they just create a new version with a shiny new coat they may just piss everyone off. The fan droids will say its lipstick on a really pretty pig, while the others will cry that everything's unfamiliar.

They will have new features perhaps maybe even some customization, but if they just take off the skewmorphism and add simplistic shades, icons, colors and interfaces, I'm afraid it may take just a short couple months beofre people start to cry....

iOSgate -Softgate?-Skewgate-IveGate-whatever gate.
  • Reply 13 of 91
    radster360radster360 Posts: 546member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

... Whatever new UI paradigms they implement will need to last for the next decade...

So we can continue to hear bitching from all those people out that keeps complaining that the iOS looks the same from the day of iPhone inception? 

• Reply 14 of 91
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

So let's see if I can predict the FUD that's going to come from the usual trolls:

There will be 100 other self-contradictory complaints, but I'm to tired to write them all down.

You forgot:

- Apple is just copying Halo and Metro

• Reply 15 of 91
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

Um, go look at their job openings. Lots of reqs for software engineers.

• Reply 16 of 91
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Ya know Rag, when you try to beat them to it, it becomes sort of a self fulfilling prophecy.

And my only complaint with iOS is that last part you mentioned: It's stale. Not the UI, the OS itself and it's functionality. There is a lot that Android clearly wins at when it comes to innovation, and I would really like to see Apple try some new things and shake it up a bit. You know what I miss about the early days of the iPhone? That "wow" factor. When you pulled one out in public, people instantly cluttered around it because it looked like nothing else out there. The same goes for products like the original iPod, the iPad, heck even the iMac. A friend of mine who works for AT&T corporate has been field testing the new HTC One, and he gets the same reactions when using it in public that I used to with my iPhone. People are excited, ask questions, want to try using it. I don't think Apple has seen anything like that since the 4 was released, and that's sad.

• Reply 17 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by smalM View Post

More engineers is not always better!

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mythical_Man-Month

• Reply 18 of 91
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    "Gruber claims that iOS 7 development is "running behind," prompting OS X 10.9 engineers to be pulled from their work to lend a hand in getting the mobile OS ready in time for launch."

I am curious why this is happening again. It first happened with the development of the original iPhone and iOS causing delays for a Mac OS update Wouldn't you think that Apple with all their billions would hire more engineers in general to handle these inevitable development overloads? Maybe I'm wrong and throwing warm bodies at the problem is not the right way . . . but it seems like something needs to change.
  • Reply 19 of 91

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

"Gruber claims that iOS 7 development is "running behind," prompting OS X 10.9 engineers to be pulled from their work to lend a hand in getting the mobile OS ready in time for launch."

I am curious why this is happening again. It first happened with the development of the original iPhone and iOS causing delays for a Mac OS update Wouldn't you think that Apple with all their billions would hire more engineers in general to handle these inevitable development overloads? Maybe I'm wrong and throwing warm bodies at the problem is not the right way . . . but it seems like something needs to change.

Echoing my answer above!  More engineers can be like a football team where every player thinks they are the Quarterback!  No, you're doing it wrong.  No you are doing it wrong!  Well, what I did in my last project was...

Check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Silver_Bullet

More Engineers is what created Windows Vista!   At the time Microsoft had unlimited resources!  

• Reply 20 of 91
    amar99amar99 Posts: 181member
    How disappointing for Samsung...now they'll have to wait longer to find out what to make next.