Rumor: Apple television with 'iRing' motion controller to launch this year

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2014
After meeting with Apple suppliers in a tour of China and Taiwan, one analyst now believes Apple will launch a television set this year with a new ring-shaped accessory that will allow a user to control the TV set by pointing their finger.

iRing
iRing concept from 2007 by Yanko Design.

Alleged details of Apple's so-called "iTV" were published in a research note by Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets provided to AppleInsider on Wednesday. White believes that Apple will launch a full-blown television set in the later part of 2013 that promises to "revolutionize the TV experience forever."

The "iRing" accessory described by White is a new concept that has not been previously detailed in other reports. His visits with Apple suppliers suggested the ring will act as a "navigation pointer" for the television, and will allow the TV set to enhance motion detection and replace some of the functionality found in a remote.

White also believes the "iTV" will come with a "mini iTV" screen that will allow users to view content on a smaller 9.7-inch display -- the same diagonal screen size as a full-size iPad. He believes this secondary display could also be used for home security, phone calls, video conferencing and more.

"Essentially, we believe the 'mini iTV' screens will be able to capture content from the 60-inch 'iTV' across a distance of up to 200 meters, allowing a user to view 'iTV' content in the kitchen, washroom, garage, bedroom, backyard, etc.," White wrote. "We believe Apple will offer one 'mini iTV' per 'iTV,' but package options will include up to four screens (i.e., one screen is part of the standard package and pay extra for each additional."

While this smaller screen will be of a similar shape to the iPad, it will have limited functionality and will not serve as an iPad replacement, the analyst said.

Apple TV

White also sees Apple's rumored smart watch accessory tying in to the "iTV" ecosystem and complementing the "iRing." Together, he believes an "iWatch" and an Apple ring would supplant the need to carry a smartphone around the house.

In all, he expects Apple's television and the included accessories to be priced between $1,500 and $2,500, depending on the number of "mini iTVs" a user opts to include and the screen size of the television. He expects Apple to offer a 60-inch television, but believes options could also be available in the 50- to 55-inch range.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Is it still April fools?

• Reply 2 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I reckon this is Apple trying to find leaks or an analyst talking through lack of experience, or his ass.

If it's an April fools, I ain't laughing. Like the iCade, that was in fact turned into a real product, and also wasn't in any way funny when it was "announced".

Assuming this is not an April Fools story, I think the best thing Apple can to for iTV is give us as much content in one AIO cohesive product with a simple Bluetooth remote (read: no Siri, no Cameras, no gimmicks) at the cheapest Apple-price imaginable. And to sell a separate, dedicated hardware Bluetooth controller for gaming. A must!

As for remote viewing of iTV around the house? That could be solved with an app. Although I'm not too sure that's a mentionable issue.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    oneaburnsoneaburns Posts: 354member
    I was thinking the same.
  • Reply 4 of 57
    drewyboydrewyboy Posts: 73member

Oh right, like that's not going to cause any confusion. "It's the same size and shape as the iPad, but it's not. It just looks a heck of a lot like one." So... why not just use the iPad via an app? To me that's one huge hole in this guys "plans". Not saying Apple couldn't, but I'd pretty much bet the farm that they wouldn't. Why not just sell the idea of what the iPad paired w/ the "iTV" can do? Pretty much anyone getting an "iTV" is going to have an iPad anyways.

• Reply 5 of 57
    macgizmomacgizmo Posts: 102member
    The "iTV" all these jackwagons are screaming about is actually just an app/service attached to the AppleTV.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    Stupidest rumor ever. Completely Unbeliveable. Even if the format wasnt wrong supply side sources would never know the pricing structure, certainly not this early.

It fails on so many levels, not the least of which is ring size!

Apple is never going do something this stupid because they would have to make a dozen different models based on finger thickness.
  • Reply 7 of 57
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is it still April fools?

Must be.

• Reply 8 of 57
    joogabahjoogabah Posts: 139member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I reckon this is Apple trying to find leaks or an analyst talking through lack of experience, or his ass.

If it's an April fools, I ain't laughing. Like the iCade, that was in fact turned into a real product, and also wasn't in any way funny when it was "announced".

Assuming this is not an April Fools story, I think the best thing Apple can to for iTV is give us as much content in one AIO cohesive product with a simple Bluetooth remote (read: no Siri, no Cameras, no gimmicks) at the cheapest Apple-price imaginable. And to sell a separate, dedicated hardware Bluetooth controller for gaming. A must!

As for remote viewing of iTV around the house? That could be solved with an app. Although I'm not too sure that's a mentionable issue.

You went from dismissing analyst speculation, to reinforcing it.  What iTV?

• Reply 9 of 57
    chrispoechrispoe Posts: 80member

One iRing  to rule them all...LOL

• Reply 10 of 57
    hydrhydr Posts: 146member
    Everyone thinks this is fake or April Fools.. This is actually genious.. A ring is brilliant for scrolling with your thumb and selecting something by clicking. Love the idea.
  • Reply 11 of 57
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Announcing... The iPrecious!
  • Reply 12 of 57
    joergsijoergsi Posts: 17member

iTV is a British TV-Station!

• Reply 13 of 57
    dewinterdewinter Posts: 14member
    When the ipad mini was introduced, I thought that it would be the remote for the iTV whenever it comes out. The part of mini TV makes sense to me.
  • Reply 14 of 57
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,721member
    So the Apple TV now comes with Lord of the Rings and a MiniMe. What's next? A flying saucer for free included? Sigh.... Analysts...
  • Reply 15 of 57
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

The next Apple product will be iRIE. Everybody will be ... happy.

• Reply 16 of 57
    jimbo123jimbo123 Posts: 153member
    No no no, any itv will be controlled by other iOS devices.

Can't see what Apple could bring to the table. Lets face it any panel tec would probably be Samsung.

Apple should concentrate on the current Apple TV which can be added to any TV at low cost.
  • Reply 17 of 57
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by joergsi View Post

iTV is a British TV-Station!

Is it? Only joking, we know.

• Reply 18 of 57
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

One Ring to rule them all and in darkness forever bind them.

I think there is something lost in the translation here. Apple has shown an aversion toward accessories to just make their devices function. Steve Jobs famously got rid of the stylus for touch screens. Perhaps what the manufacture said was a circular device that you can put on your hand to control the TV, may be the fabled iWatch.

• Reply 19 of 57
    alexmitalexmit Posts: 112member
    Is this for the new Pope?
  • Reply 20 of 57
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacGizmo View Post

The "iTV" all these jackwagons are screaming about is actually just an app/service attached to the AppleTV.

Unless you work for Apple and have some proof, you can only use the word "probably".