Samsung announces new Galaxy Mega smartphone with 6.3" display

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Pushing the trend of big-screen smartphones even further, Samsung on Thursday announced a pair of new handsets dubbed "Galaxy Mega," with the larger version sporting a jumbo-sized 6.3-inch display.

Galaxy Mega

Samsung's latest jumbo-sized handsets are even bigger than the Galaxy Note II, which features a 5.55-inch display. Samsung claims the new Galaxy Mega is "ultra-thin and portable enough to put in a pocket or hold in one hand" even with its 6.3- and 5.8-inch screen size options.

The device is pitched as the "best of both worlds," positioned between a tablet and a smartphone. It's powered by a 1.7-gigahertz dual-core processor for the larger model, while the 5.8-inch version has a 1.4-gigahertz CPU. Both will run Android 4.2 Jelly Bean.

The smaller screen model will come with 8 gigabytes of internal memory, expandable up to 64 gigabytes with a microSD card. The 6.3-inch model has options of either 8 or 16 gigabytes, and can also be expanded up to 64 gigabytes with a separate card inserted. Both feature 1.5 gigabytes of RAM.

"We are aware of a great potential in the bigger screen for extensive viewing multimedia, web browsing, and more," said JK Shin, CEO and head of IT & mobile business at Samsung Electronics. "We are excited to provide another choice to meet our consumers? varying lifestyles, all while maintaining the high-quality features of the award-winning Galaxy series."

Galaxy Mega

Other features of the Galaxy Mega highlighted by Samsung are:
  • 'Group Play:' Enables easy content sharing for up to 8 devices on the same Wi-Fi network.
  • 'Samsung WatchON:' Transforms into an IR remote controller for a richer TV experience. Connect the device to your home entertainment system, and it will provide program recommendations, schedules, and even remotely control your TV.
  • Samsung Link:' Easily streams photos, videos, notes, or music to your television, tablet or computer.
  • 'S Translator:' Say or text what you need translated into the GALAXY Mega, and it will provide instant translation, using text or voice translation on applications including email, and ChatON.
  • 'ChatON:' Share what?s on your screen with friends to stay more connected.
Samsung is planning a global roll-out of the Galaxy Mega, beginning in Europe and Russia and May. Availability will vary by market, as Samsung has promised the device will be rolled out "gradually."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 166
    ankleskaterankleskater Posts: 1,287member

So Samsung has 4 lines now in the mobile space - Galaxy S smartphones, Galaxy Note (could be smartphone, could be tablet), Galaxy Mega smartphones and Galaxy Tab tablets.

Do I have this right?

• Reply 2 of 166
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

My razor has SIX blades! Now I can shave my back in only a couple of strokes.

• Reply 3 of 166
    j1h15233j1h15233 Posts: 274member
    I thought we were past April Fools already
  • Reply 4 of 166
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Looks like the convergence of the smartphone and tablet. Time will tell if this is what the public wants to happen.
  • Reply 5 of 166

6.3 inches just seems way too big.  I wonder if there will be a significant market for them?

• Reply 6 of 166

What a fugly, awkward-looking device.

• Reply 7 of 166
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    6.3 inches just seems way too big.  I wonder if there will be a significant market for them?

People who like their pants hanging down I suspect.
  • Reply 8 of 166

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex iPhone Owner View Post

I hear that there are 12 guys in Singapore that want them as well as a guy in Topeka... but beyond that...

• Reply 9 of 166
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Samsung only just announced this?

Didn't the Romans have these?

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/23402/width/200/height/400[/IMG]
  • Reply 10 of 166
    In further news, Samsung has also announced that I can use my 50 inch Samsung plasma screen tv as a phone, too. All I have to do is hoist that bad boy up to my face (with out toppling over) and I am free to make calls and surf the web on the Giant/Mondo/Mega screen from my home, work or car (of course I would have to buy a larger car just to fit it in there)!

Dear Samsung....you are really starting to get a little ridiculous now! But hey, if I'm going to be seen with a piece of crap phone on my face, why not a giant piece of crap phone on my face!
  • Reply 11 of 166
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Definately not a one hand device. Probably great for handbag carriers or the modern man with his man bag. Bit too big for my jeans though.

I will stick to my 5 inches max. Fits easily in pocket, easy to use with one hand.
  • Reply 12 of 166

Typical Android OEM... ANOTHER flagship phone release when they JUST released their "flagship" S4. Didn't Samesung already say they're releasing MORE flagship phones running their new Tarzan OS by the end of the year? If I were an Android (namely Samesung) customer who just spent top dollar for their latest flagship phone, I'd be royally PO'd. 

It's a good thing I can count on Apple to only release one flagship iPhone per year. 

• Reply 13 of 166
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Samsung's latest jumbo-sized handsets are even bigger than the <a href="http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/06/samsung_galaxy_note_ii_rumored_to_get_even_bigger_with_55_display">Galaxy Note II</a>, which features a 5.55-inch display. Samsung claims the new Galaxy Mega is "ultra-thin and portable enough to put in a pocket or hold in one hand" even with its 6.3- and 5.8-inch screen size options.

You left off the fine print:

If you're an NBA player.
  • Reply 14 of 166
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Wow. This is ridiculous. Sammy is using the shotgun approach. I'm holding out for a 10" phone.
  • Reply 15 of 166
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    It's the elephant in the forum so we might as well get it out of the way

6.3 inches just seems way too big.

That's what she said. ;)
  • Reply 16 of 166
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Oh and I'm sure the analysts will drool over Sammy's "innovation"
  • Reply 17 of 166
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

I find 4.3" too big. This reminds me of the 19 and 20 inch laptop craze around 2005.
  • Reply 18 of 166
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    charlituna wrote: »
    It's the elephant in the forum so we might as well get it out of the way
    That's what she said. ;)

Sorry, I'm not taking 4 inches off for anyone.
  • Reply 19 of 166

These are definitely too big for most people, however, I do like the ratio of screen to bezel on that black phone. 

• Reply 20 of 166
    A co-worker of mine is a huge guy, standing 6' 4" and weighing 300+ lbs. He has been using an iP4s, but always complains that his fingers are too big to type on the phone. He ends up using his iPad because it almost looks iPhone sized in his hands.

I can see people like him wanting a giant screened phone like this, but beyond that, I'm not sure what demographic they are going after.