Reset on iBook

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I need to reset the battery thing in my iBook dual usb 500.

I read that the way to do this is to turn off the computer, take out battery and stick a pin into the little thing on top of the audio out port for five seconds.

This doesn't work.

What do I do now?

Plus, I noticed that before I could press that thing and the computer would force restart. That no longer works.

Help!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I would like to help, but I don't know what you mean by 'reset the battery thing'. Is it the power manager you wish to reset? Isn't that accomplished by zapping the PRAM? (this is accomplished by holding

'cmd (apple key)' + 'option (alt)' + P + R

I have never heard of the remedy you speak of, but that may be me. Maybe you should try to make the problem clearer.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Maybe you mean you want to reset the power manager? According to Apple's knowledge base, that's how you reset the power manager on pre-Radeon iBooks - you remove the battery and power adapter, press a paper clip into the little button above the headphone jack once, and then put everything back together.

Also, what problem are you trying to fix? You say you want to do this but it "doesn't work" but you never say what doesn't work or why. Could you elaborate, please?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    Thanks for replying.

Yes, that is exactly what I mean.

The reason I want to do this is because the battery doesn't recharge beyond 80 percent.

I know it doesn't work because my problem has not been remedied.

Apple says to stick the pin in the little hole but it doesn't work.

Is is there an alternative?

No, I'm not talking about pram

Thanks.