Apple now hiring for Oregon data center as project moves closer to completion

Posted:
in iCloud edited January 2014
Apple may be close to having its Prineville, Ore., iCloud data center up and running, as the company has begun advertising new job listings for engineers to staff the facility.

Prineville Data Center
Possible site of Apple's Prineville data center (bottom right) joins Facebook'salready active server farm (top left). | Source: iOS Maps

Apple on Monday published a notice seeking a Data Center Operations Planner to be based in Prineville, Ore. The listing, discovered by AppleInsider, comes just days after another listing for a Prineville-based position, this one for a Data Center Site Services Technician. In late March, the company posted yet another position, for a Prineville-based Data Center Chief Engineer.

The jump in Prineville hiring could indicate that Apple is close to bringing its iCloud data center that's based there online. Apple began construction of the facility in October, clearing and flattening the land where the two 338,000 square-foot buildings would eventually stand.

Land preparation and construction are thought to have cost Apple around $68 million. Including server hardware, construction costs, and labor costs, the facility is expected to cost in the hundreds of millions, and perhaps billions, of dollars.

As with Apple's other data centers, the Prineville facility will be 100 percent renewable energy-powered. Locally sourced wind, hydroelectric, and solar power will go into making the iCloud facility run.

iCloud, Apple's cloud media service for iOS and Mac OS devices, is the most popular cloud storage option in the United States, beating out competing services from Dropbox, Amazon, and Google.

The new facility is expected to take on some of the iCloud load that Apple currently routes through its servers in Maiden, North Carolina. In addition to Maiden and Prineville, Apple operates data center facilities in Reno, Nev., and Newark, Calif.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Look down, now up. Your data center is now diamonds.

• Reply 2 of 5
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

You could fit a nice Superman logo in that plot plan

• Reply 3 of 5
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Have they built any data centers outside the US? I only know of the 3 in NC, OR, and NV.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Have they built any data centers outside the US? I only know of the 3 in NC, OR, and NV.

Apple doesn't have any known, significant data centers overseas.

• Apple has a smaller data center in Santa Clara off which is leased hosting.
    • Apple has a data center in Newark, CA which they purchased for a song due to the bankruptcy of MCI Worldcom.
    • As you know, the data centers in Oregon and Nevada are not near completion.

There has been speculation of an Apple data center in Hong Kong (not completed).

There has been speculation of an Apple data center in Altoona, Iowa as well (obviously inside the United States) (not completed).

I believe I have seen reports that Apple has data centers in Austin, TX; Cork, Ireland; Elk Grove, CA (US) and; Munich, Germany but those reports were misinterpretations of Apple's environmental reports. While Apple likely has small data centers to support operations they do not have any known, significant data centers in those regions.

I believe I made a fairly substantial post about Apple data centers recently.

1. http://images.apple.com/environment/reports/docs/Apple_Facilities_Report_2013.pdf
    2. http://www.datacenterknowledge.com
  • Reply 5 of 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't think so..They didn't build it outside the US..NC and OC are favorably works for data computing and it's management..I am truly astounded by how they manage it in a very keen manner!!!!

www.bigdatacompanies.com