With reservations still pending, Mailbox app gets updated with smarter snoozes and UI tweaks

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Popular Gmail iOS client Mailbox reached version 1.2 on Monday, bringing enhanced features like smarter snooze settings and swipe gestures to those lucky enough to have had their account activated.

Mailbox

The latest update to Mailbox is one of the most substantial since the app launched in February, and builds on the title's main feature of "snoozing" emails for later perusal. Mailbox v1.2 comes less than one month after version 1.1 added "shake to undo" functionality in March.

AppleInsider was able to take a look at the app and found it to be a unique and effective system of organizing stacks of emails that may otherwise go unread. Monday's update brings the idea of snoozing emails further by refining the notification structure to include "week starts on..." and "weekend starts on..." options to the alert menu.

The user interface also received some polish, as swipe gestures now support multitouch, meaning more items can be selected for snoozes at one time, while a double-tap brings up a contact's email address from within a message.

From the release notes:
  • smarter snoozes (adjust based on time of day and week)
  • faster swipes (swipe as many items at one time as you want)
  • UI improvements (e.g. double-tap a name bubble to see email address)
  • bug fixes (including swipe-to-open bug) and performance improvements
Since its debut, Mailbox has filled over 1 million reservations and was recently acquired by cloud storage giant Dropbox in March for between $50 and $100 million.

Mailbox is a 9.2MB free download from the App Store, though with demand still high, the company is currently filling reservations on a first come, first serve basis.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Is there a wait list for the update?  image

• Reply 2 of 11
    undedunded Posts: 43member
    Very nice app but it only works for gmail :(
  • Reply 3 of 11

Doesn't forward attachments so having to jump from this to mail is a pain.  Otherwise, great ideas with snoozing and reminders.  Had to shelf this app until it acts more like a true email client. 

• Reply 4 of 11
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Stood in line for two weeks. Installed and instantly realized that as always, the easiest (system) is the one you know. Deleted app.

If I'd really been down on Mail I would have persevered but Mail works fine for me and I have bettter things to do than screw around with mail apps. Don't know what I was thinking.
  • Reply 5 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Stood in line for two weeks. Installed and instantly realized that as always, the easiest (system) is the one you know. Deleted app.

If I'd really been down on Mail I would have persevered but Mail works fine for me and I have bettter things to do than screw around with mail apps. Don't know what I was thinking.

Exactly the same for me.

• Reply 6 of 11
    Mailbox is a great app, just really limits itself being only for gmail
  • Reply 7 of 11
    So glad some of the bugs of 1.1 have been fixed. I expect this app to get better and better and one day be able to show my Payslip PDF attachments.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    paxman wrote: »

Ditto.

Having said that, I would like to see more features and functionality in Mail for iOS but I suspect that is an iterative process.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Horses for courses, I think it's great.  Would be fantastic if they could sort out compatibility with iCloud mail too.

• Reply 10 of 11
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by unDED View Post

Very nice app but it only works for gmail image

Quote:

Originally Posted by btracy713 View Post

Mailbox is a great app, just really limits itself being only for gmail

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Horses for courses, I think it's great.  Would be fantastic if they could sort out compatibility with iCloud mail too.

This is just for starters. They may well expand beyond supporting Gmail. And, if one had to choose one mail service to support first, then Yahoo or Gmail would be a better choice than iCloud, wouldn't you agree?

• Reply 11 of 11
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

This is just for starters. They may well expand beyond supporting Gmail. And, if one had to choose one mail service to support first, then Yahoo or Gmail would be a better choice than iCloud, wouldn't you agree?

True.  I mean, if you don't care that Google indexes the words in your emails, why care that someone else has access to your inbox?  In that regard, Gmail was a good fit.