user account transfer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
errr...yah..i want to transfer my current user to a fresh account...

any tools?

any guides?

thx

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    What do you mean? Do you want to move your current user over to a new computer? Do you want to create a second account on your system that is identical to your current account?

I find the best way to transfer a user's settings to a new account is to just copy everything over to an external hard drive, then move it back to the right places once you've created the new user.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    If you want to create a fresh user, goto Accounts in the system prefs and create the user. Make sure that the user can administer the computer.

Log out and then log in as the new user. You can then delete your old account and it will create a disk image of the data in that account. That way you can save anything you want and get rid of all the muck that can accumulate. I've never tried this, so I can't say if there will be permissions problems if you move stuff from the dmg to your new account. Maybe someone who's tried it can shed some light.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    it works like that, torifile. after you completed the transition, fix your permissions with Disk Utility.

HTH