Google, Microsoft both post big profit jumps

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Tech giants Google and Microsoft reported their quarterly earnings on Thursday, showing big jumps in profits thanks to solid performance in their core divisions.

google

The Mountain View-based search company reported "a very strong start to 2013," according to CEO Larry Page. Google's revenue for the quarter came in at $13.97 billion, up 31 percent year-over-year. Quarterly profit stood at $3.35 billion, up from $2.89 billion for the same quarter in 2012.

The search leader's rate of paid clicks was up 20 percent from a year previous, while the price advertisers pay per click was down about four percent. Google's big moneymaker, advertising revenue, was up 16 percent.

Google's Motorola division continued to lose money in the last quarter. Motorola Mobile posted an operating loss of $271 million on revenues of $1.02 billion. Google is selling Motorola's set-top box business to Arris Group for $3.25 billion in a deal that is expected to close some time in April.

Thomson Reuters-surveyed analysts had projected that Google would post earnings of $10.66 per share and revenues of $14.31, according to The Wall Street Journal. Shares closed down 2.13 percent on Thursday at $765.91, though they were up 1.22 percent in after hours trading as of press time.

Software giant Microsoft also posted a boost in profits for the past quarter, with third-quarter earnings at $6.06 billion up 19 percent year-over-year. Microsoft saw revenues increase 18 percent year-over-year to $20.49 billion.

Microsoft's Business Division saw revenues of $6.32 billion, a year-over-year increase of eight percent, while the Server & Tools division grew 11 percent to $5.04 billion in revenue. Revenue for the Windows Division was up 23 percent year-over-year to $5.7 billion, though adjusted they're flat year-over-year at $4.6 billion.. The Entertainment and Devices Division ? which includes Microsoft's Xbox console ? saw revenues up 56 percent year-on, with $2.53 billion generated. The company's Online Services Division saw $832 million in revenue, up 18 percent year-over-year.

Microsoft's CFO Peter Klein will be leaving at the end of June, the company announced in its conference call. The company will name a new CFO from within its current financial team within the next few weeks.

AppleInsider will be providing immediate coverage of Apple's quarterly results and conference call on April 23.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 53
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    I'll take credit for the MS profit jump. I bought an OEM license of Windows 7 for bootcamp.

Sorry gang.
  • Reply 3 of 53
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    That is surprisingly good, considering all the negativity surrounding Windows 8 and general decline in laptop and desktop sales.

Any details where the growth comes from? Numbers of sold copies over OEM and retail compared to last year? I can imagine OEMs making more money by reducing quantity but improving quality (and margins) of sold machines, but MS makes money per sold copy either way, so from their perspective quantity should mostly be more important. Unless they managed to sell more Pro/Ultimate copies at expense of lower SKUs.
  • Reply 4 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    That is surprisingly good, considering all the negativity surrounding Windows 8 and general decline in laptop and desktop sales.

Any details where the growth comes from? Numbers of sold copies over OEM and retail compared to last year? I can imagine OEMs making more money by reducing quantity but improving quality (and margins) of sold machines, but MS makes money per sold copy either way, so from their perspective quantity should mostly be more important. Unless they managed to sell more Pro/Ultimate copies at expense of lower SKUs.
    According to the Verge, Windows revenue was flat.
  • Reply 5 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I'll take credit for the MS profit jump. I bought an OEM license of Windows 7 for bootcamp.

Sorry gang.

There's one game that I would like to buy and play (AOE II HD), and it's Windows only, but I just can't get myself to actually buy a Windows install, no way in hell. If it was $19, then maybe I might consider it.

• Reply 6 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

A healthy tech sector that raises a few other boats along with Apple is always welcome, as long as Apple raises the highest... :)

• Reply 7 of 53
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    rogifan wrote: »

3Q2013 Revenue — $20.49 billion

3Q2012 Revenue — $17.41 billion

I get an increase in revenue of 17.69%. That looks pretty damn good to me. Compared 3Q2011 to Q32012 was only 6%. Why are these news outlets (save for AI) trying to paint a bad picture that isn't there?
  • Reply 8 of 53
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

3Q2013 Revenue — $20.49 billion

3Q2012 Revenue — $17.41 billion

I get an increase in revenue of 17.69%. That looks pretty damn good to me. Compared 3Q2011 to Q32012 was only 6%. Why are these news outlets (save for AI) trying to paint a bad picture that isn't there?

WINDOWS revenue was written as flat, those numbers are for Microsoft as a whole, they were making an OS point it seems.

• Reply 9 of 53
    jfc1138 wrote: »
    WINDOWS revenue was written as flat, those numbers are for Microsoft as a whole, they were making an OS point it seems.

Ah yes, it does say Windows revenue in the title on The Verge. Mea culpa. Still, not a fan that they pull out a negative for the title when there are clearly positives. For instance, what other areas accounted for the substantial rise if Windows was flat YoY? Or, how was Windows able to remain flat YoY when Windows 8 is such a complete mess? :smokey:
  • Reply 10 of 53
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Ah yes, it does say Windows revenue in the title on The Verge. Mea culpa. Still, not a fan that they pull out a negative for the title when there are clearly positives. For instance, what other areas accounted for the substantial rise if Windows was flat YoY? Or, how was Windows able to remain flat YoY when Windows 8 is such a complete mess? :smokey:
    According to CNBC their entertainment division did well.
  • Reply 11 of 53
    tbstephtbsteph Posts: 95member

If you depend on the Verge for your financial information be prepared to be disappointed.

• Reply 12 of 53
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Google was down over 2% today. Tomorrow should be interesting.
  • Reply 13 of 53
    rogifan wrote: »
    According to CNBC their entertainment division did well.

That is also interesting considering that next-gen consoles are (or will be shortly) announced, and everyone already seem to be in PS4/X720 overdrive hype.
  • Reply 14 of 53

Exactly... however you spin it, Windows 8 seems to be selling at least as good as "saviour" Windows 7. It is still good for them even if we leave it at that.
  • Reply 15 of 53
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Ah yes, it does say Windows revenue in the title on The Verge. Mea culpa. Still, not a fan that they pull out a negative for the title when there are clearly positives.

Why not? They do it to Apple all the time.

Wondering why the drop in Google's price per click wasn't highlighted. That's easily as important a metric as gross margin - and Apple gets hammered every time gross margin drops even slightly.
  • Reply 16 of 53
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Wondering why the drop in Google's price per click wasn't highlighted. That's easily as important a metric as gross margin - and Apple gets hammered every time gross margin drops even slightly.

Yeah. Like when Apple reports the largest profits ever for a tech company in recorded history, some people and media with an agenda don't mention much about that, they just look for any small thing that can be spun as a negative, and boom! They've found their headline.

• Reply 17 of 53
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Software giant Microsoft also posted a boost in profits for the past quarter, with third-quarter earnings at $6.06 billion up 19 percent year-over-year. Microsoft saw revenues increase 18 percent year-over-year to $20.49 billion.

Enjoy those profits while you can, Microsoft.  Your post-PC devices and OS-es aren't even moving the needle.

Quote: AppleInsider "Apple's iPad expands lead in tablet use at the expense of Amazon, Android, Microsoft Surface

Microsoft's beleaguered Surface is being used at the same rate as Motorola's failed Xoom. Together, the two share less than one percentage point.

Full AppleInsider story:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/04/18/apples-ipad-expands-lead-in-tablet-use-at-the-expense-of-amazon-android-microsoft-surface

• Reply 18 of 53
    jragosta wrote: »

I don't think it's right or fair when it happens to Apple either.
  • Reply 19 of 53
    But their profit won't be able to jump to Apple amount in the next 10 years .
  • Reply 20 of 53
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    There's one game that I would like to buy and play (AOE II HD), and it's Windows only, but I just can't get myself to actually buy a Windows install, no way in hell. If it was $19, then maybe I might consider it.

I need it for what I do for work or there's no way in hell I'd own it. I wish the IT guys would go platform independant. Soon I'll have just a slice in the cloud when I need access to an MS machine. Counting the seconds.