Apple increases dividend by 15%, boosts capital return spending to $100B through 2015

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday announced what the company characterized as a "significant increase" to its capital return program, with plans to utilize $100 billion in cash by the end of calendar 2015.

Apple

The component of most interest to investors will be Apple's new, greater quarterly dividend, which has been increased by 15 percent, to $3.05 per common share. It will be payable on May 16, 2013, to shareholders of record as of the close of business on May 13.

Apple will also repurchase $60 billion in shares, up from its previously announced plans to buy back $10 billion. It's the largest share repurchase authorization in history.

Apple expects it will execute its share repurchase by the end of calendar 2015. The company also expects to utilize about $1 billion annually to net-share-settle vesting restricted stock units.

"We are very fortunate to be in a position to more than double the size of the capital return program we announced last year," said Apple CEO Tim Cook. "We believe so strongly that repurchasing our shares represents an attractive use of our capital that we have dedicated the vast majority of the increase in our capital return program to share repurchases."

Finally, the company also announced on Tuesday that the board has approved plans to borrow more cash. Apple said it will announce more details about these plans in the "near future," but did not give a specific date.

"We will continue to return capital to shareholders through dividends, share repurchases, and cash used to net-share-settle vesting RSUs," said Peter Oppenheimer, Apple?s chief financial officer. "We continue to generate cash in excess of our needs to operate the business, invest in our future, and maintain flexibility to take advantage of strategic opportunities."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 100
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Great moves and just what I was hoping for.
  • Reply 2 of 100
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Buying back $60 billion in shares. I can't wait to see how people put a negative spin on that.
  • Reply 3 of 100
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I like the sound of these measures for share holders. Hopefully AAPL will start to clinb again after this ... (crosses fingers and calls on various deities for help).
  • Reply 4 of 100
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    Apple on Tuesday announced what the company characterized as a "significant increase" to its capital return program, with plans to utilize $100 billion in cash by the end of calendar 2015.

and, at the end of 2015, they'll likely still have over 100 billion in cash-on-hand.
  • Reply 5 of 100
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Buying back $60 billion in shares. I can't wait to see how people put a negative spin on that.

If there is ulterior motives, no tactics from Apple can put a stop to the rumor mongering.

• Reply 6 of 100
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Obviously their share share is decreasing because of competitors with shares that aren't stale, so Apple will have to make fresh shares and buy all their stale shares to combat competitors' new shares of Apple.

• Reply 7 of 100
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    This is pretty much exactly what apple needed to do. Good job, cook.

Not sure what to make of the weaker guidance
  • Reply 8 of 100
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Now this is talking, this is believing. that's building yourself.

• Reply 9 of 100

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

Good job, cook.

Prepare to be destroyed.

• Reply 10 of 100
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member
    From a shareholder perspective? Not enough. Stock will keep deflating.

Sooner or later the shareholders are going to vote Cook off the Island if they keep hoarding cash for no apparent reason. The buyback sounded good until they said it's distributed over several years.
  • Reply 11 of 100

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

Sooner or later the shareholders are going to vote Cook off the Island if they keep hoarding cash for no apparent reason. The buyback sounded good until they said it's distributed over several years.

So basically "it's going to happen, even if they do exactly what we tell them to do (despite us not knowing anything at all about how to run the company) because we're going to just make up magical conditions after the fact"?

• Reply 12 of 100

Wow, shot up by almost 5% in after hours.  Better than a big drop at least but things can turn around quickly.

• Reply 13 of 100

Quote:

From now till 2015?

So basically, they aren't reducing the cash hoarde at all.  They are just growing it slower.

From an investor perspective, AAPL and MSFT are slowly starting to converge.  MSFT investors too, thought their stock would rebound.  It never did.  Instead, MSFT stabilized in a new trading range and became a blue chip dividend stock.  Real risk that this is what will happen to AAPL if there are no blockbuster new products on the horizon or the board isn't interested in returning money to shareholders.

• Reply 14 of 100

Good. Good. Good!!!!!

Just what the doctor ordered.

• Reply 15 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple CEO Tim Cook. "We believe so strongly that repurchasing our shares represents an attractive use of our capital that we have dedicated the vast majority of the increase in our capital return program to share repurchases."

Perfect, Tim. Just what you needed to say.

PS: My May-3 $420 calls are going to be looking pretty good tomorrow..... :-p

PPS: Then again not :-(...... sometimes, a silly (but thankfully, small) gamble does not pan out. Fingers crossed until May 3.

• Reply 16 of 100

Quote:

From now till 2015?

So basically, they aren't reducing the cash hoarde at all.  They are just growing it slower.

From an investor perspective, AAPL and MSFT are slowly starting to converge.  MSFT investors too, thought their stock would rebound.  It never did.  Instead, MSFT stabilized in a new trading range and became a blue chip dividend stock.  Real risk that this is what will happen to AAPL if there are no blockbuster new products on the horizon or the board isn't interested in returning money to shareholders.

That's the difference. Apple is the only tech company doing that since 98.

And even if they don't do anything like that, so what? Still the best products!

• Reply 17 of 100

Quote:

From now till 2015?

Yeah, but even MSFT has a P/E of 15.  No one expects MSFT to aggressively grow anytime soon.  Apple still has potential to grow in the short term but has dropped to 9.  

• Reply 18 of 100

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So basically "it's going to happen, even if they do exactly what we tell them to do (despite us not knowing anything at all about how to run the company) because we're going to just make up magical conditions after the fact"?

Cry all you want.  Investing is about money, not emotion.  I like Apple products. I own several.  But if I got a shareholder ballot tomorrow asking me whether Cook should be voted off, I'd vote yes in a heartbeat.  As a shareholder, I don't give a fig about Apple products.  I care about what he's done for my AAPL stock. Bupkis.

And I'm not one of those people who bought at $700.  Were I one of those, I'd be calling for his head on a platter.

My personal regret is not dumping my position at $700 and believing that this board cares about investors to try and rally the stock back.

• Reply 19 of 100

I heard "future products"?

• Reply 20 of 100
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Prepare to be destroyed.

By what?