Maya and PowerBook 12"

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Will Maya 4.5 work on the new PowerBook 12", and how well will it do the job?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    elricelric Posts: 230member
    You could download the Maya 4.5 personal learning edition and try it out. Wish I had a 12" powerbook to try it out on
  • Reply 2 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Elric:

<strong>You could download the Maya 4.5 personal learning edition and try it out. Wish I had a 12" powerbook to try it out on </strong><hr></blockquote>

lol, I dont have a 12" yet before I buy I want to make sure it will run what I need it to.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    it will run, but slow. check the requirements for maya: <a href="http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/ple/systemrequirements.shtml"; target="_blank">Clickediclick</a>
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Just remember that you'll need to get a 3-button mouse for it too. Once you've got that, it should run fine.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Maya PLE runs rather swimmingly on my PowerBook G3 Pismo, except when it comes to rendering. Then it's quite slow, but I expect a 867Mhz G4 would solve that. I think the real drawback on running it on the 12" powerbook would be the display, at 1024x768 it is decidedly cramped. The 17" seems quite ideal, and even the 15.2" would be adequate.

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 6 of 8
    I run Maya 4.5 on 15" 867Mhz.

it runs very nice. (as mentioned above rendering is quite slow, but Mental Ray quality makes up for this).

I also have problems with screen size and Maya's numerous windows, so a 12" is not really suitable, unless you double up with a second monitor.

get a three button mouse! I use wacom tablet with mouse & pen, both work a treat

(need to re-code Maya environment file though to work).

use a text editor and paste this into /Users/your account/Library/Prefs/AliasWavefront/Maya/4.5/Maya.env

MAYA_MAC_BUTTON_MAP=1LMB+LMBMMB=command+LMB
  • Reply 7 of 8
    xionjaxionja Posts: 504member
    there is no way to use maya without a three button mouse?

the free download version is it the whole thing or what? this is really cool, i though i could only do 3d image stuff if i shelled out 500$+
  • Reply 8 of 8
    You can use Maya without 3 button mouse, (key combos for panning, zooming and rotating) however this defeats the object of the software. Maya usability is organic and natural, it doesn't need interupting with awkward key combos.

the PLE version is full feature set (render has AW watermark).