make table invisible in TextEdit

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

unfortunately all my old wordPerfect docs are now automatically turned to TextEdit files for my mac.

bad cuz the Perfect tables are virtually impossible to edit in TextEdit.

a) I can't make the boxes invisible.

b) I had to cut and paste every single cell in order to delete a cell (so empty one would be at bottom).

c) TextEdit is so impossible, after hours with this doc, I'm looking at reformatting the whole thing in Word anyway, cuz of a) I can't get the lines to be invisible.

d) see other post by another author: why does TextEdit suck so much?  If I had some say over how my Word Perfect docs would have been saved, I'd never have converted them to TextEdit -- the Mac just did that one for me.  I guess it's better than having lost all access to those old docs....

SIGH.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,324moderator
    tutorsue wrote: »
    unfortunately all my old wordPerfect docs are now automatically turned to TextEdit files for my mac.

bad cuz the Perfect tables are virtually impossible to edit in TextEdit.

They will have been set to open in TextEdit but they are still WordPerfect files. They just won't have anything else to open in. You can install WordPerfect if you still want to use it, in a virtual machine like VMWare under Windows or under Crossover (Crossover isn't ideal though because of fonts and things):

http://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/browse/name/?app_id=1736;screenshot=1

You should convert them to some other format either with WordPerfect installed using the above programs or an online service ( e.g http://www.zamzar.com ) or open them in a full word processing app like Microsoft Word, Open Office etc.
    tutorsue wrote: »
    why does TextEdit suck so much?

That's like saying why does Preview suck compared to Photoshop. Textedit is a basic word processing app, like Wordpad in Windows.

If you convert the .wpd files to .doc, you'll be able to open them in Pages, Microsoft Word, Open Office etc and have much more control over the layout.