Another Apple supplier cites slipping demand from its 'largest customer'

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited January 2014
Component maker Laird announced on Friday that revenue from its "largest customer" fell 17 percent in the first quarter, and that declining revenue is expected to continue until the second half of the year, leaving market watchers to suspect the customer in question is Apple.

Laid supplies electromagnetic shielding and heat control components for wireless devices like Apple's iPhone and iPad. After the company out reduced orders from its largest customers, investors were left to presume that Laird was talking about Apple, according to Reuters.

iphone et al

Laird projects that its next June quarter will also see revenue decline. Growth is expected to resume in the second half of the year; consequently, Apple is expected to revamp virtually its entire major product lineup this fall.

In recent weeks, a number of key Apple suppliers have reported weak results. Apple itself has revealed slowing growth of its lucrative iPhone platform, and last quarter saw its profits fall for the first time in a decade.

Those declines are expected to continue for Apple in the following June quarter, as the company gears up to launch its next-generation iPhone, new iPads, and potentially enter new product categories. Apple CEO Tim Cook said new products can be expected this fall and throughout 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member
    Apple is Doomed (TM)
  • Reply 2 of 35
    Apple doomed to ramp up end of year. My family is not the only one waiting to add a 128g iPad & a couple of phones
  • Reply 3 of 35
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    ...because customers are waiting to get Apple's latest model this year...again...and again...and again...

This happens every Goddamn year!
  • Reply 4 of 35
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

I'm beginning to suspect that these suppliers leak this stuff just for personal advertising benefits.

• Reply 5 of 35
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    My family is not the only one waiting to add a 128g iPad
    Waiting because?
  • Reply 6 of 35
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

Apple has been adding additional suppliers for every component included in every product. This has been announced in multiple forums. Maybe Laird is no longer the primary supplier of shielding and heat control components. Unless Laird comes out and identifies their customer list, all of this is pure speculation, the type that market manipulators love. As @brustus said, insinuate Apple is having problems and every forum picks it up whether it's true or not.

• Reply 6 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    Waiting because?

He had to mean 256 GIG :)
  • Reply 8 of 35
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

It doesn't mean Apple is Doom, is just means the smartphone market is reaching saturation point which we all knew was not far away. After all it's 2007 that the iPhone debuted. The iPad has a long way to go though and a lot of people with ancient piece of junk PCs to be replaced with iPads, I think once Microsoft releases Office for iPad a lot of those old PCs will meet their maker.

• Reply 9 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Stock is up over $5 pre-market, mostly due to a good jobs report, but honestly I think stories like this are starting to have less effect. Because often times they're bogus or don't tell the whole story. I mean that WSJ report from back in January didnt beat itself out in any of the numbers Apple reported.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    These are all companies that can't except responsibility for their failed stock performance so they are trying to blame someone else (Apple). Sort of like saying I didn't wreak the car the alcohol did.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    ascii wrote: »
    It doesn't mean Apple is Doom, is just means the smartphone market is reaching saturation point which we all knew was not far away. After all it's 2007 that the iPhone debuted. The iPad has a long way to go though and a lot of people with ancient piece of junk PCs to be replaced with iPads, I think once Microsoft releases Office for iPad a lot of those old PCs will meet their maker.
    How can we make this correlation? #1 we don't know that the customer in question is Apple and #2 even if it is Apple we don't have enough information or context to know why. But when the media only has the what and doesn't know the who or why, they just assume its Apple and assume the worst (i.e., slowing demand for iPhone).
  • Reply 12 of 35
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The market is not even close to saturation yet, maybe on the US but not in Africa, India, China and most europe's countries.

• Reply 13 of 35
    kozchris wrote: »
    These are all companies that can't except responsibility for their failed stock performance so they are trying to blame someone else (Apple). Sort of like saying I didn't wreak the car the alcohol did.
    These companies aren't blaming Apple for anything. They're not even mentioning Apple by name. It's the media making ASSumptions.
  • Reply 14 of 35
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How can we make this correlation? #1 we don't know that the customer in question is Apple and #2 even if it is Apple we don't have enough information or context to know why. But when the media only has the what and doesn't know the who or why, they just assume its Apple and assume the worst (i.e., slowing demand for iPhone).

It's just one story among many, from various suppliers, all saying the same thing. How much evidence do you need before you form a pattern?

• Reply 15 of 35

So happy to see a "story" like this jump over to an Apple dedicated(?) site. Just what the stock market needs to help their stock slide. Thanks for the added BS! Opinion; Speculation; Rumor. All the things that helped me decide to remove A.I. from my bookmarks. R.I.P. 

• Reply 16 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    So happy to see a "story" like this jump over to an Apple dedicated(?) site. Just what the stock market needs to help their stock slide. Thanks for the added BS! Opinion; Speculation; Rumor. All the things that helped me decide to remove A.I. from my bookmarks. R.I.P. 

Most Apple centric sites do the same, including MacWorld. If Apple were like most companies and kept analysts and the public abreast of their plans most of these sites wouldn't even exist anymore. Their oxygen is rumors and speculation.
  • Reply 17 of 35
    tkell31tkell31 Posts: 216member

The horse is out of the barn on this one.  Apple's guidance already told the story how many times does it need to be confirmed as if it is still news?

• Reply 18 of 35
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    I think the screen size is causing a lot of average users to consider the other guys. I know I am, at least for the interim until iPhone 6.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

I think the screen size is causing a lot of average users to consider the other guys. I know I am, at least for the interim until iPhone 6.

If you look at Google's numbers at http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards you see that the vast majority - 80% - of the installed base has "normal" sized screens. In fact, there are about as many "small" screens (9.8%) as there are "large & xlarge" screens put together (10.5%).

Google's definitions:

Small = < 3.5"

Normal is the range around iPhone 5

Large is +4 to 7" 

X-Large = 7-10"

So according to Google, your extremely small sample size is not representative of the active installed base hitting Google Play.

• Reply 20 of 35
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Corrections View Post

If you look at Google's numbers at http://developer.android.com/about/dashboards you see that the vast majority - 80% - of the installed base has "normal" sized screens. In fact, there are about as many "small" screens (9.8%) as there are "large & xlarge" screens put together (10.5%).

Google's definitions:

Small = < 3.5"

Normal is the range around iPhone 5

Large is +4 to 7" 

X-Large = 7-10"

So according to Google, your extremely small sample size is not representative of the active installed base hitting Google Play.

FWIW "Normal" also covers display sizes larger than the current iPhone5.

As an example the Galaxy S3's 4.8" display is still considered "normal" as far as developers and the dashboard you referenced are concerned. You assumed normal must only be 4" or smaller displays without really checking it. That's a bit careless to post as a "correction", but heck I've done some careless posts of my own as have the rest of us.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11036158/android-samsung-galaxy-s3-screen-size-for-layout

http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/screens_support.html