Samsung returns to targeted anti-Apple ads with latest Galaxy S4 spot

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
In a recently released commercial, Samsung once agains sets its sights on Apple's flagship iPhone, pointing out the "inadequecies" of the iOS device while at the same time touting new Galaxy features like Air View.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Ad

The ad, spotted by CNET, shows a clutch of just-graduated teenagers hanging out at a pool party with their slick Galaxy S4s. Also there are stodgy old parents with iPhones, some even carrying the newest iPhone 5, which Samsung tries to portray as a smartphone relic.

The main character, a loquacious grad inexplicably still in his gown, is the host of the party, and viewers are taken through a series of short vignettes showing off the S4's prowess in such a festive situation. For example, ribs are being served, which "are insane," but very messy. Enter Samsung's Air View technology, where a call can be answered with the wave of a hand.

In another scene showing off the S Beam file transfer protocol, a young woman snaps a pic and immediately shares it with her friend. A mother asks for a copy, but is chagrined to find out that her's "doesn't do that."

Smash cut to two girls poolside, checking out the S4's Drama Shot, which captures consecutive images of a moving scene and stitches them together to form an action sequence in a single frame. In this case a spectacular belly flop, with said flopper once again wearing a cap and gown. Perhaps they were all homeschooled.

Back to the parents who can't share photos by touching their phones together:

"So some smartphones are smarter than other smartphones," the father ponders, almost introspectively. He's setting up for the big reveal.

"Exactly," the one-with-the-times girl says. A hint of sarcasm.

"Well what are we doing with these phones," he asks, holding up his iPhone. There it is.

Snap to the main character. What really sells it for the "dude's" dad is the Galaxy's remote control capabilities. Once he sees that feature, he totally gets why the recent graduates are belly-flopping into his pool wearing full cap and gown regalia. He even chuckles. He's in.

While the latest TV spot isn't as churlish as previous Samsung commercials, it still smacks of elitism, which the Korean firm has arguably not yet earned according to the latest U.S. smartphone statistics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 210
    3eleven3eleven Posts: 87member
    I will say some of the Samsung ads do make me giggle. I'll never forget that one with the wife saying goodbye to her husband and she beams him a special movie.
  • Reply 2 of 210
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Is Samsung trolling their own "user" base? Samsung owners can't be that ignorant; can they?
  • Reply 3 of 210
    At least Apple hasn't lost the youngest generations, the little kids of us old uncool people who still use iOS
  • Reply 4 of 210
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'll take the new iPhone ad over this any day.
  • Reply 5 of 210
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member

Yes... Air View.

The solution in search of a problem that is only available on Samsung apps, because no developer with a brain is going to implement features for only a segment of Android.

I weep with envy.

• Reply 6 of 210
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the latest TV spot isn't as churlish as previous Samsung commercials, it still smacks of elitism, which the Korean firm has arguably not yet earned according to the latest U.S. smartphone statistics.

In almost all cases a user with a Samsung phone isn't even near someone with a Samsung phone, or even one with a Samsung phone new enough to do that kind of sharing. 

This reminds me of a MS Surface commercial where everyone has a Surface to throw around. In real life the Surface owner is alone in a corner with his pocket protector and a "Windows 8 for Dummies" book.

• Reply 7 of 210
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gqb wrote: »
    Yes... Air View.
    The solution in search of a problem that is only available on Samsung apps, because no developer with a brain is going to implement features for only a segment of Android.
    I weep with envy.
    Well according to Bloomberg Jony Ive has investigated similar technology. Though if Apple implements some thing like that I trust that they'll actually do it right because it won't be about littering up a spec sheet with tons of half baked features for the tech media to get a hard on about.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-05-01/apple-s-ive-seen-risking-ios-7-delay-on-software-overhaul-tech.html
    Longer term, Ive also has shown interest in altering how people control their computers. He has met with makers of gesture technology that lets people navigate their gadgets by moving their hands -- without touching the screen, said a personal familiar with those interactions.
  • Reply 8 of 210
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    That is such an embarrassing ad. They are showing off absolutely pointless features, most of which are already available via apps on iOS anyways. The ones that aren't available are ludicrous anyways... answering your phone with your hand moving in front of it? Um, no thank you... how many accidental calls would you end up picking up that way? The Android platform is so terrible that it has come down to touting these atrocities as advantages? Of course they don't mention the viruses, malware, freezes, security breaches, and crashes on the Android platform. They also don't mention that you can never upgrade your OS nor that your privacy is squelched every time you download an app. They don't mention the inferior camera nor the inferior display nor the inferior hardware nor the inferior materials nor the inferior user experience. They also don't have the superior Apple ecosystem that syncs your Mac, iPhone, and iPad together. They don't mention the lack of iMessage -- a truly indispensable tool, nor the inferior apps available for Android (not to mention the MUCH SMALLER NUMBER of apps available), nor the lack of the high-quality FaceTime video chats. I'd like to see an ad that actually talks about all of that. Or, I'd much rather have the wonderfully sentimental and beautiful new iPhone ad that came out last week.
  • Reply 9 of 210
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    [B]"In another scene showing off the S Beam file transfer protocol, a young woman snaps a pic and immediately shares it with her friend.[/B]

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/24508/width/350/height/700[/IMG]
  • Reply 10 of 210
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

In almost all cases a user with a Samsung phone isn't even near someone with a Samsung phone, or even one with a Samsung phone new enough to do that kind of sharing. 

This reminds me of a MS Surface commercial where everyone has a Surface to throw around. In real life the Surface owner is alone in a corner with his pocket protector and a "Windows 8 for Dummies" book.

Or the Zune...

Still, this is all aspirational stuff and its well done. Its the Siri ads done with a touch of 'I'm a PC', but targeted pretty squarely at 20 - 30 yo market. I think Samsung carefully studied Apple marketing and implemented much of what they found in a different way. I can't really fault it. 

• Reply 11 of 210
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

"Hey my memory is full"

"Mine too"

"And mine"

"WTF this is supposed to have 16GB"

Turn to "old" people with iPhone's and in whiny voices "Mum, Dad can we have money for memory cards?".

• Reply 12 of 210
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

What a dumb and unrealistic ad, which is obviously targeting dumb and susceptible consumers.

I bet that many of the actors and actresses in that ad actually use iPhones, just like many of the paid celebrities that have been caught red handed recently.

• Reply 13 of 210

Can't wait for S-Smell, the next big thing!

• Reply 14 of 210
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member

No video, didn't happen....

Update:

And now...the video appears....

• Reply 15 of 210
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

Every major review that I've read talks about these much-touted features on the S4 as being buggy, sucky, and not-ready-for-prime-time.

They're just setting themselves up for lots of returns..... (but lots of shipments).

• Reply 16 of 210
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

Yes... Air View.

I weep with envy.

So, it's come to this.

The first iPhone with its graceful, seamless, capacitive multitouch UI is still a much bigger leap forward than the scraps and leftover "innovations" like Air View. I guess "S View" was already taken.

• Reply 17 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Well according to Bloomberg Jony Ive has investigated similar technology. Though if Apple implements some thing like that I trust that they'll actually do it right because it won't be about littering up a spec sheet with tons of half baked features for the tech media to get a hard on about.

Sometimes, less is more. Simpler is better. Focus is better.

Samsung thinks: more is more. Loading up the spec sheet is better. Less feel inadequate.

• Reply 18 of 210

Quote:

Originally Posted by Everett Ruess View Post

At least Apple hasn't lost the youngest generations, the little kids of us old uncool people who still use iOS

Samsung stopped short of calling themselves "The Pepsi Generation."

• Reply 19 of 210
    gijoeinlagijoeinla Posts: 215member
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'll take the new iPhone ad over this any day.

Seriously. Saw the Apple ad the other night and it looked amazing :)))) ill say this again -/ the CAMERA is the most important feature on a phone today -- am certain the new iPhone 5s will be a big step up :))
  • Reply 20 of 210
    egernegern Posts: 3member
    You've got to admit, Samsung is innovating. You can certainly argue that Apple implements ideas in a more elegant, controlled and tight sort of way, but iOS isn't exactly pioneering the way in new ideas lately.

As an Android user myself, I pray that iOS 7 brings NFC capabilities so that technology finally takes off. Android has had it for over a year, but until Apple gets it, it just won't be that wide spread.