Path app gets enhanced security features, more friend finding options in latest update

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Less than a week after being accused yet again over user privacy issues, social networking app Path on Friday released an update with enhanced security settings and a bevy of new features.

Path

Path's latest version 3.0.4 brings a number of tweaks and big fixes, but perhaps most important for some is a new option in the Settings menu to disallow a user from being discovered in global search. The new feature adds a bit of privacy for users not wanting to broadcast their page to everyone on Path, and allows account holders to use the app in a different way than many other social media services.

A recent report regarding how Path handles friend discovery and invitations gained some attention on the Web earlier this week when digital marketer Stephen Kenwright tested the app, finding its invitations process too intrusive for his liking. He noted that Path blasted out invitations to everyone on his Facebook friends list without his express approval, as is the default operation unless an "Unselect All" option is selected.

For its part, the company argues that the methods are meant to simplify the friend finding process for users, saying the app "is really best with friends." Many account holders don't mind the automated invitations, however, and the behavior can easily be turned off in-app.

With that in mind, the latest update adds improved tools for finding friends and family with Twitter and Gmail integration. It is unclear if the app will send out automatic friend requests to a user's entire Twitter following or Gmail contacts list, though the company hasn't changed its stance on friend discovery since Tuesday's incident.

Also included in version 3.0.4:
  • Typing: Wondering if your friend is typing a message to you? Now you will know if they are typing and where they are typing from.
  • Unread Messages: Never miss a message. Improved unread message badging and notifications.
  • Group Message Names: Now you can personalize a Group Message by simply tapping on the name.
  • Search Bookmarks: Love searching for the same moments all the time? Now you can bookmark your favorite searches.
  • New User Experience: Improved new user experience.
  • Speed: All kinds of speed and performance improvements all around the app.
  • Bug Fixes
Path is a free 24.1MB download available now in the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    Now uses SSL to send the information about you and all your iCloud, FaceBook, Twitter and GMail contacts to Path's server.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Part of me is genuinely wondering if Path does this stuff for controversial attention. Either way, I don't use Facebook or Path.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    jjthompsjjthomps Posts: 24member

"HI.  I'm away from my house now.  Please break in and steal my stuff."  "I'm returning on flight 1234 at 4:30pm tomorrow.  Better break in before then."  "Thanks for following me."

• Reply 4 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjthomps View Post

"HI.  I'm away from my house now.  Please break in and steal my stuff."  "I'm returning on flight 1234 at 4:30pm tomorrow.  Better break in before then."  "Thanks for following me."

You friend those types of people?

• Reply 5 of 16

I think the people running Path are a bunch of serial scumbags... I will never use their app...

• Reply 6 of 16
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You friend those types of people?

Seriously.

Path is a social app for only people you know.  Your posts can only be seen by your friends.  There is no web interface or such for a stranger to see your posts.  Might help to know a bit about the app before you try and mock it.

What Path should do is when you click to invite a friend, it should ask to have access to your Contacts, then present you with a list for you to select which of your contacts you'd like to invite.  Seems simple enough.  Personally, I don't like using in-app invites though.  I always contact people individually and provide my own links to download so I'm in total control.  I've never had a problem with Path in the 1.5 years I've been using it.

• Reply 7 of 16
    yensid98 wrote: »
    Seriously.

Path is a social app for only people you know.  Your posts can only be seen by your friends.  There is no web interface or such for a stranger to see your posts.  Might help to know a bit about the app before you try and mock it.

What Path should do is when you click to invite a friend, it should ask to have access to your Contacts, then present you with a list for you to select which of your contacts you'd like to invite.  Seems simple enough.  Personally, I don't like using in-app invites though.  I always contact people individually and provide my own links to download so I'm in total control.  I've never had a problem with Path in the 1.5 years I've been using it.

I'd trust Path more than I'd trust Facebook, but texting your friends without permission is disgusting behaviour on their part.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    damn_its_hotdamn_its_hot Posts: 1,209member

Quote:

Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Seriously.

Path is a social app for only people you know.  Your posts can only be seen by your friends….

This is something I (and probably others) didn't know. Seems somewhat contrary to what I think of in the "social" type apps. Might be more acceptable than say Facebook which I have no interest in (I realize I am in the minority).

• Reply 9 of 16
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member
  • Reply 10 of 16
    freediverxfreediverx Posts: 1,423member

Quote:

Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Seriously.

Path is a social app for only people you know.  Your posts can only be seen by your friends.  

How exactly does the app determine who your "friends" are, by spamming everyone in your Contacts list?

• Reply 12 of 16
    bighypebighype Posts: 148member

Screw Path. Do not trust them one bit. They've proven themselves as being evil and opportunists.

• Reply 13 of 16
    oscargoscarg Posts: 22member
    "Many account holders don't mind the automated invitations, however, and the behavior can easily be turned off in-app."

How hard can you shill for these scumbags, "Apple Insider"? While every other publication is reporting about how Path spams the living shit out of everyone in your address book, you're reporting on "new security options."

This is the second time Path has been caught stealing your personal information and abusing it. But you're talking it up as if it's just getting better all the time.

What a bunch of shills and suck-ups.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by OscarG View Post

While every other publication is reporting about how Path spams the living shit out of everyone in your address book…

Yeah, you may have noticed that AI has always reported that. I say may because you're just obviously ignoring it.

AI doesn't get paid by these freaks.

• Reply 15 of 16
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

Quote:

Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

How exactly does the app determine who your "friends" are, by spamming everyone in your Contacts list?

Well obviously the app shouldn't be spamming everyone in your contact list.  In my post above I suggested an alternate way for them to invite friends to the app. Time will tell if they implement something along those lines in a future update.

Speaking from personal experience, Path didn't spam all my contacts when I signed up 1.5 years ago and none of my 18 friends on Path have complained of a spam issue when they registered.  Likewise, I haven't received a spam message from Path when a friend or contact joined the service.  At least one of my Path friends registered in the past 6 months.  So I'm guessing the spam issue is either isolated to a subset of the user base (android, specific phone, a random bug, etc.) or human error when setting the app up.  Regardless of why the spam issue is happening, it shouldn't be and needs to be fixed quickly.  Its important to keep in mind though that this may not be a widespread issue.

I suggest NEVER using an in app way of inviting friends anyway. By sending individualized messages to those you want to invite to an app you should avoid the worry of spamming your entire contact list.

• Reply 16 of 16
    jpadhiyarjpadhiyar Posts: 52member
    This is one of those ethical questions again. You're on the safe if you disable the selections on contacts by default. You're caught like Path if you send the invites automatically (as a default option) AND the app goes berserk and sends out the invites over SMSes after it got uninstalled (although I'm sure that's something the app doesn't track effectively).