Code in Google's Chromium points to future Google Now support for OS X

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
A newly reported issue with Google's open-source Chromium Web browser hints that preparations are being made to launch rich notifications for Apple's OS X, which could in turn be used to build out a Mac version of Google Now.

Chromium
Source: Fran?ois Beaufort

As noted by The Next Web, Google has been in the process of porting its Chrome OS notification system to Chromium, and subsequently the Chrome Canary development browser, over the past few months. Previously, only Chrome OS and Microsoft Windows users were able to access rich notifications, but Tuesday's discovery shows support is now being tested for Apple's OS X.

First to report on the update was Chromium evangelist Fran?ois Beaufort, who found an issue log in Chromium's Code Reviews, titled ?[Mac][MC] Implement notification updates and relayouts.?

Citing the log entry, Beaufort noted that rich notifications for Mac are "still under heavy development but you can play with them by running chrome with the --enable-rich-notifications switch (no flag yet)."

The discovery suggests that Google Now, the card-based intelligent personal assistant, may soon be available to Mac users as the notification center is key to implementing the service. Chrome OS and Windows users have access to Google Now, though the implementation is a bit rocky compared to Android and iOS offerings.

Google recently rolled out Google Now for iOS a little over one week ago in an update to the Google Search app. Currently, the service is limited to weather, traffic, news and sports scores.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Rename it to Google Never.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

I have faith in Apple to realize that Google is creating a trojan horse on Apple's operating systems. This is how Apple got switchers from Microsoft by installing Windows on Macs.

• Reply 3 of 15
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Noogle?

• Reply 4 of 15
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bdkennedy1 wrote: »
    I have faith in Apple to realize that Google is creating a trojan horse on Apple's operating systems. This is how Apple got switchers from Microsoft by installing Windows on Macs.

You mean by making it possible to install Windows on a Apple computer. I think that's one of the reasons Macs are doing so well. Why buy a crappy built PC when you can have a quality built Mac capable of running Windows computer?
  • Reply 5 of 15
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Google Chromium? What happened to Chrome? Isn't good enough?
  • Reply 6 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Google Beta.

• Reply 7 of 15

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Noogle?

Schmoogle.   Screwoogle.

• Reply 8 of 15
    macky the mackymacky the macky Posts: 4,801member

I feel queasy about allowing google to know anything more about me than the bare minimum. 

• Reply 9 of 15
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    Everyone knows that chromium is toxic right. Damages the liver and kidneys, causes cancer, damages DNA and can cause an allergic reaction.

Me personally, I have an acute allergenic reaction to Chromium caused by my reaction to the complete loss of privacy and the aggressive invasion of my personal life.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Let's just say the WebKit restructure is awesome and a breath of fresh air with that crap ass code base out of there.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Google Chromium? What happened to Chrome? Isn't good enough?

Chromium is the standard GPL WebKit tree. Chrome is the add-on in-house only bits that includes non-GPL code.

• Reply 12 of 15
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Let's just say the WebKit restructure is awesome and a breath of fresh air with that crap ass code base out of there.

Are you referring to Google's Blink fork?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    spacepowerspacepower Posts: 208member
    I'm really confused by the youth of today. They subscribe to anti-gov big brother conspiracy theories and complain about the government tracking them.

They also claim big rich evil corporations control the governments.

Yet they willingly let big companies like Google track their every move via Google Now.

Google knows more about everyone than the government does.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    lostkiwilostkiwi Posts: 639member
    spacepower wrote: »
    I'm really confused by the youth of today. They subscribe to anti-gov big brother conspiracy theories and complain about the government tracking them.

They also claim big rich evil corporations control the governments.

Yet they willingly let big companies like Google track their every move via Google Now.

Great post. So true! I can't understand how average people just don't see it.
    I tried to minimise/eliminate Google in my life some time ago now.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    applelunaticapplelunatic Posts: 181member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spacepower View Post

Untrue. The government knows all that information as well since Google is more than happy to share it.