OS X is ruined....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

ML, in the last couple of weeks, has grounded to a halt - virtually unusable.

Safari is having bizarre Graphical glitches in which it takes a good 15 seconds to re-size a window and freezes completely after a couple of tabs and quite a few apps are having trouble with resizing/ moving their windows around and freeze completely before too long. (Including iTunes, Calendar, Reminders etc and even PS)

Memory management, for some reason, has gotten alot better in the last couple of days. It used to drop from 5-6GB free after start up to single digit MBs after about 20 mins with virtually nothing open. (Double digits, as in, 12MB or so.....)

The issues don't sound too bad at all, but the system really is unusable. 

(Late '12 iMac 27", base model)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Run diagnostics for hardware and software failure. Hard drive, RAM, etc. 

• Reply 2 of 9
    Ran an extended AHD yesterday, nothing.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Do you get the same symptoms in Safe Mode? Hold shift at startup.
  • Reply 4 of 9

reinstall the os

• Reply 5 of 9

Well, I know GPU drivers are disabled in SafeMode, hence reduced performance, but the minute I boot in SM it freezes completely and needs a restart. 

The problems are still there when hold Shift during log-in and disable startup items. 

• Reply 6 of 9
    As mentioned above, try reinstalling the OS using the recovery mode (boot with command-R). If it's still messing up after that, try cloning to the OS to an external drive and boot from the external to see if it's a storage problem. Then try removing RAM sticks one at a time. If none of that fixes it, take it back to Apple.
  • Reply 7 of 9

I'm mmmm am ,,,, I'm trying to resist the trollishness... failed. Should have bought some Alienware.

• Reply 8 of 9
    I'm mmmm am ,,,, I'm trying to resist the trollishness... failed. Should have bought some Alienware.

Where you are making the mistake is assuming that because you have no problems with your giant, impractical laptop and reading people having issues with their Macs that your choice was better. A lot of people buy computers from any manufacturer - Apple sells 4-5 million every 3 months. Unless you are reading about a significant number of faults, you can't draw meaningful conclusions from a few individual issues.
  • Reply 9 of 9

^ Damn lighten up Francis. I was intending on a lame attempt of a joke. But I do like my fat ass computer... very practical. They eyes are in the beauty of the user. Or some crap like that.