Browser for a 7200

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey people,

My brother has a PM 7200 and will be updating it to OS 8 or 9, and wants to install a version of a compatible browser as up to date as possible. Any suggestions? IE, Netscape, etc.

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    I would suggest running either OS 8.6 or OS 8.1, depending on how much RAM you have. If it's under 32 MB, go with 8.1, otherwise use 8.6.

There are quite a few classic-compatible browsers out. Netscape 4.8 is quite old and might not work with some more advanced featueres, but it's quite fast and non-demanding. Internet Explorer 5 will tax that machine... although IE 4.0 or 4.5 should do a fine job. You can also use Mozilla 1.2.1, although it might also be a bit taxing on the machine. Personally, though, I'd recommend iCab (www.icab.de). The OS X version isn't much, but the classic version (there's even a 68k version!) has lots of preferences, allowing you to change just about any aspect of the browser you want. Heck, you can even change contextual menus so they pop up after holding down for 0.4 seconds instead of 0.8 seconds if you want! It allows pop up blocking as well, and the included download manager is really good. It's not very demanding like most modern browsers are so that's why I'd recommend it over IE 5 or Mozilla... it can be kludgy at times but if you learn to work with it it is pretty good.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Hey, isn't there a browser deliverd when installing system 8.1 or higher? Or even two, Explorer and Netscape in system 8. At least, I think so.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    I seem to recall seeing IE and Netscape when I last installed OS 8, but it's a while ago now...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    Whatever browsers come with OS 8 are going to be hopelessly outdated now.

It will be slow, but try Mozilla 1.0. It is a very solid browser, and will render pages correctly most of the time.

Also, IE 5. It was a decent browser on OS 9, though it had a tendency to crash randomly, locking up the machine.

IE 4.5 was also decent, though it might be out of date today.

I don't recommend iCab - it's too quirky, and won't work correctly with many pages. It is designed with the idea that all pages SHOULD be coded with perfect HTML - real life isn't like that though, and the browser has a tendency to choke on 'imperfect' pages.

-robo
  • Reply 5 of 5
    All browsers run under 8.0, probably even NS7. You'll only have to worry about the amount of memory the program takes. Increasing the apps memory though sometimes does miracles.

Netscape was the best browser till 4.7 after that IE5 was better. Nowadays I use IE5.1 wich serves its purpose well, though NS (4.7) handles tables better (more strict).

Stefan

[ 02-10-2003: Message edited by: hres ]</p>