Google to reportedly debut paid streaming music service at Google I/O

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Internet search giant Google is said to be preparing a launch of a subscription-based music streaming service akin to existing offerings like Spotify, with the announcement possibly coming as soon as this week at the company's Google I/O Developers Conference.

Citing people familiar with Google's plans, The Wall Street Journal on Tuesday reported the company has already lined up deals with Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment and Warner Music Group for the rumored service.

Google I/O

Google is expected to announce the initiative at this year's Google I/O, which is set to kick off on Wednesday, as the company has previously used the conference to unveil similar projects like the Nexus Q media streaming device.

The Internet titan already offers songs through the Google Play store for Android, but the media service is much like iTunes in that tracks and albums are sold on a per unit basis. Sources claim the as yet unannounced streaming service will use a subscription model, granting users access to a large library of music.

Pricing and the presence of ads in the purported service remains unknown.

Apple is also widely rumored to be planning an entrance into the streaming music industry with its so-called "iRadio" service, which is also reported to be based on the for-pay subscription model.

The Cupertino, Calif., company is also thought to be courting the "big three" labels, but low-ball royalty offers are said to holding up the process. Most recently reports claimed talks were once again stalled as Apple and Sony couldn't come to an agreement on licensing terms.

Rumors regarding iRadio have been circulating for months, but there has yet to be any concrete evidence pointing to an imminent rollout.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I use Spotify and love it. Not sure what Google could offer that would make me switch. Other than search I try not to use Google products if I can help it.
  • Reply 2 of 32
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

I wonder if Sony has been a last hold-out with Apple on iRadio because Sony is simultaneously trying to renegotiate movie royalties.

Oh, there's also some funny stuff going on in the Sony marketplace. This might be the overriding reason for Sony's slowness.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100737358

• Reply 3 of 32
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member

Google heard that Apple was going into the subscription streaming music business so of course they are going to throw some POS beta crap out there to be first.

• Reply 4 of 32
    bsimpsenbsimpsen Posts: 398member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Google heard that Apple was going into the subscription streaming music business so of course they are going to throw some POS beta crap out there to be first.

How would Google "beta" the license agreements necessary to offer subscription streaming? That's what's holding up Apple.

• Reply 5 of 32
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    i don't hate google. loathe and despise are probably more descriptive. i'm with rogifan when he says
    rogifan wrote: »
    Other than search I try not to use Google products if I can help it.

in the contest to earn and retain my trust that they'll do no evil to me, google doesn't stand a snowball's chance in hell.
  • Reply 6 of 32
    yanchuyanchu Posts: 5member
    I changed default search on my 4S to Yahoo, and so far has not missed Google as I thought I would. ????
  • Reply 7 of 32
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

What happened to Google Music? Wasn't that supposed to take over the world or something? That was supposed to be the iTunes killer, and rushed out to compete against iTunes match.  Instead, Google threw that shit at the wall, didn't improve it, moved on, and now will rush out their own streaming product that will be poorly implemented simply to "beat" Apple to the punch. Unlike Apple, Google doesn't wait to launch something until it's right- they just make sure to always launch X product in advance of Apple's rumored product. 

• Reply 8 of 32
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Unlike Apple, Google doesn't wait to launch something until it's right- they just make sure to always launch X product in advance of Apple's rumored product.

That's Google alright. For a stupid company they sure do dumb things.
  • Reply 9 of 32
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    This article has a funny list of all the music services iTunes has destroyed (grey box half way down)

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/26/4265172/itunes-store-at-10-how-apple-built-a-digital-media-juggernaut
  • Reply 10 of 32
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

I wonder if Sony has been a last hold-out with Apple on iRadio because Sony is simultaneously trying to renegotiate movie royalties.

Oh, there's also some funny stuff going on in the Sony marketplace. This might be the overriding reason for Sony's slowness.

That wouldn't explain why Google would be able to negotiate a license with Sony while Apple would not, assuming the rumor is true. We'll reportedly know in short order if Google was successful with licensing.

• Reply 11 of 32
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Big position from an edge fund and insider trading. Didnt saw any reasons to impact labels negociation in there except one phrase saying the fund will push for Sony to sell its entertainments division.

Looks like google may break $900 today.  I remember when Apple and Google were both tradind $700, they sure took 2 very different directions from that point.

Edit:

There you go, I see google at 900.00 on my screen. Took 2 attemps to break the sell orders at 900 flat. GOOG now trading at 27 P/E and Apple back down to 10.4 P/E .  IF this keeps up I will initiated a short GOOG and a long AAPL before the WWDC. Apple should trade around $500 with its return to investors div and buyback. That is assuming they can hold there EPS and keep it from going down again.

• Reply 12 of 32
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,486member
    iTunes currently sells about 6X the digital content (music, movies and TV, excluding Apps) that Google does.

If anyone is in a position to secure a licensing deal it's Apple. I just think Apple is playing hardball with fees and is doing so because if their dominance in the market (music).
  • Reply 13 of 32
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

iTunes currently sells about 6X the digital content (music, movies and TV, excluding Apps) that Google does.

If anyone is in a position to secure a licensing deal it's Apple. I just think Apple is playing hardball with fees and is doing so because if their dominance in the market (music).

that is exactly why the labels dont want to cut a deal with Apple. On top of not likeing Apple dominance, nobody likes being bully.

• Reply 14 of 32
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Big position from an edge fund and insider trading. Didnt saw any reasons to impact labels negociation in there except one phrase saying the fund will push for Sony to sell its entertainments division.

Looks like google may break $900 today.  I remember when Apple and Google were both tradind $700, they sure took 2 very different directions from that point.

Edit:

There you go, I see google at 900.00 on my screen. Took 2 attemps to break the sell orders at 900 flat. GOOG now trading at 27 P/E and Apple back down to 10.4 P/E .  IF this keeps up I will initiated a short GOOG and a long AAPL before the WWDC. Apple should trade around $500 with its return to investors div and buyback. That is assuming they can hold there EPS and keep it from going down again.

>>That is assuming they can hold there EPS and keep it from going down again.>>

Well, we know they won't grow EPS this quarter and we know they won't grow EPS this fiscal year.  

Google +50% in the last 12 months, with Apple down 20%.  70% swing if you had made the correct call and gone with the truly innovative company that has leaders who lead and are confident enough in their technology and products to actually talk about them and keep consumers and the markets interested.

Apple's enterprise value today is 263 billion, with Google at 255 billion.  Give it a few days, Google will be the most valuable tech company in the world.  It has got to be absurdly painful for Apple employees - especially those that are only recent hires in the last few years - to work at a company where they are starting to realize can't grow earnings and seemingly can't execute or innovate, while Google surpasses them in every quantifiable way from a future growth perspective.

It is really sad to watch this play out.  Of course I wish as an investor that I had invested in GOOG over AAPL, but to watch this company completely lose its mojo, be stuck in the mud for so long, shrink earnings and the stock drop like a rock during one of the biggest bull markets ever, its almost unfathomable that they could be this incompetent, but every day I wake up thinking there will be good news, they will actually DO SOMETHING and lo and behold its the same old story.....no actions, not listening to their customer wants (larger screen), not going on the offensive, etc. 

Honest question, other than working on iterative versions of the same products, why would any talented engineer go to Apple over Google right now.  I don't think they would. 

• Reply 15 of 32
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    People act like Apple used to be tossing new products out to consumers every other week. If we go all if 2013 without anything new, then I'll be concerned. There's new stuff coming this fall according to TC
  • Reply 16 of 32
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

>>That is assuming they can hold there EPS and keep it from going down again.>>

Well, we know they won't grow EPS this quarter and we know they won't grow EPS this fiscal year.  

Google +50% in the last 12 months, with Apple down 20%.  70% swing if you had made the correct call and gone with the truly innovative company that has leaders who lead and are confident enough in their technology and products to actually talk about them and keep consumers and the markets interested.

Apple's enterprise value today is 263 billion, with Google at 255 billion.  Give it a few days, Google will be the most valuable tech company in the world.  It has got to be absurdly painful for Apple employees - especially those that are only recent hires in the last few years - to work at a company where they are starting to realize can't grow earnings and seemingly can't execute or innovate, while Google surpasses them in every quantifiable way from a future growth perspective.

It is really sad to watch this play out.  Of course I wish as an investor that I had invested in GOOG over AAPL, but to watch this company completely lose its mojo, be stuck in the mud for so long, shrink earnings and the stock drop like a rock during one of the biggest bull markets ever, its almost unfathomable that they could be this incompetent, but every day I wake up thinking there will be good news, they will actually DO SOMETHING and lo and behold its the same old story.....no actions, not listening to their customer wants (larger screen), not going on the offensive, etc. 

Honest question, other than working on iterative versions of the same products, why would any talented engineer go to Apple over Google right now.  I don't think they would. 

Almost everything you wrote is ridiculous except the numbers that haven't got anything to do with Apple's of Google's business. Actually, Google's business is already going down if you consider numbers from mobile search. Google is just a search monopoly company with very low innovative  ratio compared to alleged freedom they give to their employees. 

What beside the search has Google actually invented?

GOOG is real phenomena for me, way beyond AAPL. AAPL was nothing compared to GOOG bubble that is being created.  

Anyway: sell AAPL or stop whining here, you are really boring already. We have heard from you same old crap over and over again.

• Reply 17 of 32
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

People act like Apple used to be tossing new products out to consumers every other week. If we go all if 2013 without anything new, then I'll be concerned. There's new stuff coming this fall according to TC

Exactly! I do agree that with people claiming that product positioning was somehow misguided in last few months, but I have no doubt that Apple will release right products, not a plastic substitutes. Apple is just not that kind of company.

• Reply 18 of 32
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Wall Street obviously thinks this is bad news for Apple. Google stock up $20 so far today (now over $900) and Apple down over $8 (after dropping $11 yesterday).
  • Reply 19 of 32
    I really just need one song myself.
  • Reply 20 of 32
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by poksi View Post

Almost everything you wrote is ridiculous except the numbers that haven't got anything to do with Apple's of Google's business. Actually, Google's business is already going down if you consider numbers from mobile search. Google is just a search monopoly company with very low innovative  ratio compared to alleged freedom they give to their employees. 

What beside the search has Google actually invented?

GOOG is real phenomena for me, way beyond AAPL. AAPL was nothing compared to GOOG bubble that is being created.  

Anyway: sell AAPL or stop whining here, you are really boring already. We have heard from you same old crap over and over again.

Right, because if a management team is incompetent, the owners of the company should just sell and not discuss their displeasure.  

What is Google creating?  Value for its shareholders for one, something Apple and Tim Cook are incapable of doing.