Multi-colored SIM trays allegedly for 'iPhone 5S' may signal more color options

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
High-resolution photos of what may be components from Apple's next-generation iPhone have leaked to the Internet, with multi-colored SIM trays adding to rumors that the so-called "iPhone 5S" will be available in more than just black and white.

comp1

Images of a loudspeaker bracket, ear speaker bracket, vibrating motor assembly, Wi-Fi flex cable ribbon, and SIM card tray were given to BGR by a trusted source. Even should they prove real, the new components reveal little beyond the truism that Apple is working on a successor to the iPhone 5; any potential functionality of such a device cannot be discerned from the components.

The leak contains two SIM card trays, one in gray and the other in a golden or beige hue. Should these indeed prove to be iPhone components, the differently-colored SIM card trays could indicate that the next iPhone will be available in multiple colorways beyond the current black and white. Such rumors have previously arisen, with estimates of the number of available colors ranging from three to eight.

Rumors abound as to the capabilities of Apple's next handset. It is presumed that, since it came after a major hardware change, the iPhone 5 successor will be more of an incremental update, adding some new features but retaining the same overall design.

comp2

Previous off-year updates included the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4S. In the case of the iPhone 3GS, the 'S' stood for Speed, while with the 4S it stood for Siri, the virtual assistant introduced with that model. With the presumed 5S, the S could stand for Security, as Apple is said to be working on a fingerprint-scanning home button that would allow for secure purchases and access.

Possible "iPhone 5S" components have been leaking for months now, as speculation builds that Apple will soon release a new smartphone. Previous leaks have shown off supposed camera components, vibration motors, and a home button.

Occasionally, these leaks contain information on a supposed launch date for the next iPhone. Earlier in the year, the summer was a popular option, with the assumption that Apple would move to a more aggressive release schedule with its iPhone in order to counter Samsung's rise.

Apple CEO Tim Cook appeared during the company's last conference call to silence those rumors, though. Speaking on when Apple fans might expect new products, Cook pointed to the fall of 2013, saying that the company has "surprises in the works" for that time frame and throughout 2014.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Many details are getting leaked. We are missing the surprises. image

• Reply 2 of 30
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I would really like to see the iPhone come in anodized colored aluminum/glass. It would really set it apart from previous iPhone designs. I'd even go for the same colors as the iPad Touch...or very similar colors. I'd hate to just see black, white, and gold or something silly like that. I would take an orange or green one! I can upgrade next month, but I'll wait for the next iPhone before doing so.
  • Reply 3 of 30
    Please stop saying colorways.
  • Reply 4 of 30

I probably mentioned this before but, what ever happened to AppleInsider living up to the "Insider" part? It's becoming increasingly obvious that this site has no real journalists who dig for true inside information. Sources? Not very good really. Haven't really seen anything new from this sites "reporting" in a very long time. Regurgitating things from other websites does not qualify as good original reporting. Laziness, yes, it qualifies. Either Apple has really tightened the lid on information or AppleInsider decided to stop working very hard for it's readers. Perhaps the site should be renamed to AppleWebRumors?

• Reply 5 of 30
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Based on the beige tray, I would say this is evidence of there *not* being coloured iPhone 5s's.  

Beige doesn't go with other colours very well and is more likely to be the body of a phone with a standard black or white front.  If they were going to offer blue, red, green etc. then the tray wouldn't be beige would it?  

Also, beige is synonymous with 'tacky" "low cost" "tasteless" etc.  I would doubt that even Apple could make beige "cool."  

I see this as either a hoax/mistake or part of a third (grey?) option and not necessarily the introduction of "colours" per se. 

• Reply 6 of 30
    darrandarran Posts: 5member
    I probably mentioned this before but, what ever happened to AppleInsider living up to the "Insider" part? It's becoming increasingly obvious that this site has no real journalists who dig for true inside information. Sources? Not very good really. Haven't really seen anything new from this sites "reporting" in a very long time. Regurgitating things from other websites does not qualify as good original reporting. Laziness, yes, it qualifies. Either Apple has really tightened the lid on information or AppleInsider decided to stop working very hard for it's readers. Perhaps the site should be renamed to AppleWebRumors?

I have to agree here. 9to5 Mac get all the information posted on apple insider hours beforehand. Normally my twitter alerts me to new apple news from @9to5mac and then about an hour or so later apple insider posts it. Have to agree it seems the site just rehashes and aggregates information from elsewhere. Hardly worthy of the moniker "insider". And I think that's a fair point to make

• Reply 7 of 30
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    There's a strange phenomenon where people call internal changes "incremental," when they can include anything other than the superficial appearance of the device. As though the appearance is the ONLY major feature of a device, and what it does/contains hardly matters. Strangeness.
  • Reply 8 of 30
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Based on the beige tray, I would say this is evidence of there *not* being coloured iPhone 5s's.  

Beige doesn't go with other colours very well and is more likely to be the body of a phone with a standard black or white front.  If they were going to offer blue, red, green etc. then the tray wouldn't be beige would it?  

Also, beige is synonymous with 'tacky" "low cost" "tasteless" etc.  I would doubt that even Apple could make beige "cool."  

I see this as either a hoax/mistake or part of a third (grey?) option and not necessarily the introduction of "colours" per se. 

To your point that are probably prototypes, it cheaper to shoot in the base color of plastic or recycled plastic for prototype and not waste time and money to color match the parts that usually happens once the design is closer to being released.

• Reply 9 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzaglens View Post

Please stop saying %u201Ccolorways.%u201D

Indeed.  Stupid Ghetto trash talk.  It's such an infuriatingly meaningless and hopelessly bad grammatical construction too.  

Someone at AppleInsider has apparently decided that this useless made up word is "cool" and nothing will seemingly dissuade them.  I think they are desperately hoping it will catch on, but outside of some of the trashiest parts of New York and Los Angeles, it hasn't.  

It's similar to how Jacquie Cheng at Ars is trying to elevate the offensive term "ballin" into something that should be included in tech journalism.  IMO this is a result of the fact that the "young" tech journalist stars of the last ten years are now getting a bit older and want to appear to be still "with it" by using rap lingo and trash talk, to show that they still know what it means.  

• Reply 10 of 30
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    I was going to say wooohoo but

BEIGE?
  • Reply 11 of 30
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

"the iPhone 5 successor will be more of an incremental update, adding some new features but retaining the same overall design."

Other than, possibly, a change in screen size, the iPhone case is pretty much locked into the (nearly perfect) design it currently has.

There's just too much inherent functionality, apps, and utilization that is dependent on the existing case design to abandon its "2001 S.O. monolith" shape. And that is something that not a single one of the other phones on the market currently offer.

• Reply 12 of 30

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

BEIGE?

The beige one comes with a free mirrored disco ball and a Hall & Oates CD.  image

• Reply 13 of 30
    originalgoriginalg Posts: 383member

Looks more like a matte rose-gold (or copper-ish) colour to me than beige.

• Reply 14 of 30
    timbittimbit Posts: 331member
    I agree that this is probably just a prototype or they are using a different material inside to save on costs/lighten the device/etc. I don't think it has to do with colour changes
  • Reply 15 of 30
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I can't image those being the colours of any future Apple product unless Apple will make a hearing aide with a micro-SIM card.

zigzaglens wrote: »
    Please stop saying %u201Ccolorways.%u201D
    gazoobee wrote: »
    Indeed.  Stupid Ghetto trash talk.  It's such an infuriatingly meaningless and hopelessly bad grammatical construction too.  

Someone at AppleInsider has apparently decided that this useless made up word is "cool" and nothing will seemingly dissuade them.  I think they are desperately hoping it will catch on, but outside of some of the trashiest parts of New York and Los Angeles, it hasn't.  

It's similar to how Jacquie Cheng at Ars is trying to elevate the offensive term "ballin" into something that should be included in tech journalism.  IMO this is a result of the fact that the "young" tech journalist stars of the last ten years are now getting a bit older and want to appear to be still "with it" by using rap lingo and trash talk, to show that they still know what it means.  

colorway |?k?l?r?w?| (Brit. colourway )
    noun
    — any of a range of combinations of colors in which a style or design is available: wallpaper books show coordinating patterns and colorways.
  • Reply 16 of 30
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

noun

— any of a range of combinations of colors in which a style or design is available: wallpaper books show coordinating patterns and colorways.

So the problem with its use here is just one of plurality. 

I don't imagine the iPhone will be available in a "range of ranges", so it should be singular in the article.

• Reply 17 of 30
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    So the problem with its use here is just one of plurality. 

I don't imagine the iPhone will be available in a "range of ranges", so it should be singular in the article.

Possible, but I seem to recall both being acceptable.

edit: It looks like colorways is the more accepted and proper usage when talking about the range of colors within a range, as opposed to talking about just one color with a range.

• Reply 18 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

BEIGE?

Oh no, Zune is back!
  • Reply 19 of 30
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,958member
    gazoobee wrote: »

Maybe a retro colored phone harking back to the case color of the first Macintosh? Maybe with a rainbow Apple on the back.
  • Reply 20 of 30
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    noun

I'm working at a custom furniture client. "Colorways" is a common word used to describe the multiple color options/finishes to paint furniture.

Guess the folks complaining about the word need to get out more.