Rumor: LG, Sharp & AUO gearing up to build displays for Apple's next iPad mini

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Three key display suppliers are allegedly preparing for production of Apple's next iPad later this year, with LG Display and Sharp said to already have been selected, while AU Optronics is hoping to get into the mix.

The rumor was reported on Friday by hit-or-miss DigiTimes, which claimed that Apple's next-generation iPad mini will launch in either the late third quarter or fourth quarter of calendar 2013. That's on target with earlier rumors, as well as comments from Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook that new products won't debut until this fall.

iPad mini

Friday's report was mostly about AU Optronics, or AUO. The company has reportedly "faced issues" in producing iPad mini display panels, which have left it unknown as to whether AUO will continue being a major supplier to Apple.

The report, which cited the publication's typical ??and frequently unreliable ? supply chain sources in Taiwan, said it's "not expected" that AUO will remain a major iPad mini panel supplier. However, the company is said to have submitted panels for use in the next iPad mini for certification by Apple.

AUO must await Apple's approval, the report indicated, but LG Display and Sharp have already been selected as panel suppliers. The report did not give any indication as to whether the next iPad mini will have a high-resolution Retina display.

In preparation for the second-generation iPad mini, Apple is expected to draw down production of the current model. Accordingly, the report claimed that AUO panel shipments are to be drawn down over the coming quarters, and will decrease sequentially.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

In preparation for the second-generation iPad mini, Apple is expected to draw down production of the current model. Accordingly, the report claimed that AUO panel shipments are to be drawn down over the coming quarters, and will decrease sequentially.

Because God forbid's Apple drop the price on something...   I am still hoping that after the ipad mini 2 launch, Apple can manage to sell the current 16g version at $200.

Regarding the retina screens, cant wait to see what they will use. imo the ipads will move to IGZO this year. Otherwise it could be OLED, but the colors on OLED are not to Apple standards.

• Reply 2 of 12
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Never ever OLED please.

• Reply 3 of 12
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    "Hit-or-miss DigiTimes"?

Make that miss-miss-miss-hit-miss-oops-miss again.
  • Reply 4 of 12
    slicksimslicksim Posts: 52member

I do wonder how wise an idea it was to give Jony Ive the freedom to design and have built what ever his heart desired.  It looks like Apple has ended up with a phone and tablet that no more than a couple of firms (including one which is THE major competitor) can build.  Delivering as many phones as the market can take doesn't look like an option for Apple at the moment.  Fitting a retina screen and battery life that Apple would be happy with into an iPad Mini...... well it isn't going to be easy.  I wonder if Samsung's decision to put a plastic back on their "top end" phone was not perhaps driven by the seemingly impossible need to build in large numbers whilst still stuffing it with as much geek pleasing kit as possible.  Have we the customer developed an appetite for something thats near to impossible to deliver in any quantity? 

• Reply 5 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by NeilM View Post

"Hit-or-miss DigiTimes"?

Make that miss-miss-miss-hit-miss-oops-miss again.

You accidentally typed hit.

• Reply 6 of 12
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slicksim View Post

I do wonder how wise an idea it was to give Jony Ive the freedom to design and have built what ever his heart desired.  It looks like Apple has ended up with a phone and tablet that no more than a couple of firms (including one which is THE major competitor) can build.  Delivering as many phones as the market can take doesn't look like an option for Apple at the moment.

Have we the customer developed an appetite for something thats near to impossible to deliver in any quantity? 

So what?

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Sounds to me like an envious positions to be in.

• Reply 7 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    You accidentally typed hit.

They were pitching at the time though ... see what i did there? An Americam sports joke from me :smokey: (pitching is like bowling right?)
  • Reply 8 of 12
    slicksimslicksim Posts: 52member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brutus009 View Post

So what?

You say this like it's a bad thing.

Sounds to me like an envious positions to be in.

You can't convince me its a great position to have your main rival being the major supplier of your parts, AND  that no one else seems able to make those parts on any scale.  Are you saying you think product constraints are a policy decision on Apples part.......Hummmmm, sorry I don"t buy it !!

• Reply 9 of 12
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slicksim View Post

You can't convince me its a great position to have your main rival being the major supplier of your parts, AND  that no one else seems able to make those parts on any scale.  Are you saying you think product constraints are a policy decision on Apples part.......Hummmmm, sorry I don"t buy it !!

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that it's good to have your major competitor producing your parts.

Rather, it simply isn't so terrible a thing if you can't keep up with demand when demand is through the roof.

Besides, Apple is clearly working to qualify alternate sources; that kind of thing takes a lot of time.

edit for typo

• Reply 10 of 12
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Regarding the retina screens, cant wait to see what they will use. imo the ipads will move to IGZO this year. Otherwise it could be OLED, but the colors on OLED are not to Apple standards.

IGZO is the conductor technology, the transparent wires used in the "active layer" of display screens.

It can be used in LCD and OLED screens, so Apple might use it in an LCD-based Retina iPad mini first.

FYI, IGZO has 40 times better conductivity than the current amorphous silicon conductor technology, for

better efficiency and/or higher resolution. Sharp co-developed IGZO with Semiconductor Energy Laboratories,

which would explain why Apple might go with Sharp for next-gen displays.

Sharp began mass production of 32-inch high-resolution IGZO-based displays more than a year ago.

AU Optronics began producing a 65-inch UHDTV 4K IGZO-based display last October.

The technology might be ready for next-gen Apple devices.

• Reply 11 of 12
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slicksim wrote: »
    I do wonder how wise an idea it was to give Jony Ive the freedom to design and have built what ever his heart desired.  It looks like Apple has ended up with a phone and tablet that no more than a couple of firms (including one which is THE major competitor) can build.  Delivering as many phones as the market can take doesn't look like an option for Apple at the moment.  Fitting a retina screen and battery life that Apple would be happy with into an iPad Mini...... well it isn't going to be easy.  I wonder if Samsung's decision to put a plastic back on their "top end" phone was not perhaps driven by the seemingly impossible need to build in large numbers whilst still stuffing it with as much geek pleasing kit as possible.  Have we the customer developed an appetite for something thats near to impossible to deliver in any quantity? 
    Not sure what you're getting at here. How does the iPad mini having an aluminum back have anything to do with retina screens? How would plastic be better? Unless you think the mini should be plastic and thicker? :\
  • Reply 12 of 12
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    They were pitching at the time though ... see what i did there? An Americam sports joke from me :smokey: (pitching is like bowling right?)

In Cricket yea