What does Error -1003 Mean?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a G3 PowerMac with Netscape 4.7 Communicator. I wanted to upgrade to Netscape 7.01 and downloaded it; when I initiated the installation protocol I received message "Installation failed due to error; -1003 " . Do I have to take the Mac in for expert assistance, or can someone suggest a remedy I can do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Moving to the Genius Bar...
  • Reply 2 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    What OS are you using ?
  • Reply 3 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>What OS are you using ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

OS 9.1
  • Reply 4 of 11
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Have you inspected the read me file included with the installer? Have you seen to the fact that all the requirements are met? (I imagine Netscape 7 would desire a good amount of RAM, of Hard Disk space, of processor power, ...) Are other applications running?

For the record, Netscape lists the following requirements:

Operating System

Mac OS 8.6, 9.x (9.1 and later recommended)

Mac OS X (10.1.x recommended)

Mac OS 10.2

Minimum Hardware

PowerPC 604e 266 MHz

G3, G4, 64 MB RAM

72 MB hard drive space

Maybe the installer file was corrupted during download, ...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>Have you inspected the read me file included with the installer? Have you seen to the fact that all the requirements are met? (I imagine Netscape 7 would desire a good amount of RAM, of Hard Disk space, of processor power, ...) Are other applications running?

Operating System

Mac OS 10.2

Minimum Hardware

PowerPC 604e 266 MHz

G3, G4, 64 MB RAM

72 MB hard drive space

Maybe the installer file was corrupted during download, ...</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 6 of 11

<strong>Have you inspected the read me file included with the installer? Have you seen to the fact that all the requirements are met? (I imagine Netscape 7 would desire a good amount of RAM, of Hard Disk space, of processor power, ...) Are other applications running?

Operating System

Mac OS 10.2

Minimum Hardware

PowerPC 604e 266 MHz

G3, G4, 64 MB RAM

72 MB hard drive space

Maybe the installer file was corrupted during download, ...</strong><hr></blockquote>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Thank you, Der Kopf. I will review the Read Me file that came with the Netscape 7.01 upgrade. But I will say that my PowerMac G3 has 266 MHz, with 164 MB RAM and available hard disc storage of 19 Gigs.

I still wonder what "error- 1003" means and whether it will help to know.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Well, apparently, there is little information on what that error code is. Are you sure it is -1003? Not, say, -103, or -1030?

I can find many (all?) errors on <a href="http://www.appleerrorcodes.com/"; target="_blank">this page</a> but not the one you're after. Maybe this page lists only older errors (that have been around since OS 7). I'll have a furthere look.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by der Kopf:

[QB]Well, apparently, there is little information on what that error code is. Are you sure it is -1003? Not, say, -103, or -1030?

Dear Kopf,

I wrote it down and got the same number again. I do appreciate your effort. I also had looked up the number on the Apple site. Thank you for helping.

L, still Wandering
  • Reply 10 of 11
    I was thinking, isn't Netscape using a Java front end these days? That might cause some problems if you don't have the latest Java runtime engine. Maybe you should try installing <a href="http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=75097&amp;SaveKCWindowURL=http:% 2F%2Fkbase.info.apple.com%2Fcgi-bin%2FWebObjects%2Fkbase.woa%2Fwa%2FSaveKCToHomePa ge&searchMode=Assisted&kbhost=kbase.info.apple.com &showButton=false&randomValue=100&showSurvey=false &sessionID=anonymous%7C163829032" target="_blank">this</a> first. I don't know, I'm just trying.
  • Reply 11 of 11

<strong>I was thinking, isn't Netscape using a Java front end these days? That might cause some problems if you don't have the latest Java runtime engine. Maybe you should try installing this[/URL] first. I don't know, I'm just trying.</strong><hr></blockquote>

This is wandering L. I discussed my problem locally, and was advised to try an Explorer browser, which was available to me. I do not need to upgrade it, so I will try it to connect with the website/program that my Netscape was inadequate for. I thank you, particularly der Kopf, for draying (drehen) it over my problem.