OtterBox buys rival case maker LifeProof, drops ongoing patent suit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
At the CTIA conference on Wednesday, mobile device case maker OtterBox announced that it has purchased TreeFrog Developments Inc., DBA LifeProof, known commercially as "LifeProof," for an undisclosed sum and has officially dropped allegations of patent infringement against the company.

OtterBox

In a subsequent press release posted to the OtterBox's website, CEO Brian Thomas said LifeProof will slowly be incorporated into the OtterBox family over the next 30 days, with current employees to remain at the purchased company's San Diego, Calif. headquarters.

LifeProof, which earned awards for its line of waterproof iPhone and iPad cases, employs about 250 people, all of whom will join the ranks of the roughly 650 employees OtterBox has scattered around the world.

?The joining of OtterBox and LifeProof is a way to combine two great brands and provide customers with even more great products, services and choices for smartphone accessories,? Thomas said. ?Our goal in this acquisition is to create more value for our customers than we ever could have generated while operating individually.?

Not mentioned in the release was a patent suit OtterBox filed against LifeProof in August 2011, claiming the company infringed on four properties pertaining to protective device enclosures. The Colorado court case was officially terminated today as a likely result of the takeover.

While not specifically stated in court documents, the deal was likely to have been near finalized in early March as a proposal to stay the case until May 20 was entered on March 6, to be signed a day later by presiding Judge William J. Martinez. Subsequent motions to withdraw counsel were filed by both sides later that month.

As for future products resulting from the acquisition, OtterBox is staying mum, saying only that further announcements will be made once integration of LifeProof is complete.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    stephanjobsstephanjobs Posts: 284member
    I am
    Actually typing on a life proof for the iPhone 5.

I think they are much better that the otter box, and I hope otter box keeps their slimer deign.

The otter is equivalent to the life proof is like a rubber brick.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    My mother had a LifeProof for her 4 and it wasn't great. Yes, it was water and dust-proof, but the sleep button would break your hand trying to press it, the silent switch used accidentally activate the whole time, and the protection on the screen made touches, but especually swipes often not work very well.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    hawkbladehawkblade Posts: 76member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

My mother had a LifeProof for her 4 and it wasn't great. Yes, it was water and dust-proof, but the sleep button would break your hand trying to press it, the silent switch used accidentally activate the whole time, and the protection on the screen made touches, but especially swipes often not work very well.

The original LifeProof for the 4 was not that great with the buttons.  But when the 4S came out they changed the design a bit on the button area and was much better for it.  I have had 2 4S cases, one since I got my 4S, and have one sitting to replace it since I broke the charge door not watching what I was doing one day.  I think LifeProof is a much better case than Otterbox.  And Otterbox just started the case just to drive LifeProof out of business, to buy them cheep, or whatever they could to get the competition away from them.  I'll bet you that those "infringed" items were as generic and not specific.  It is a sad day when a superior item gets destroyed by the cheaper made item. Oh well, have to find a new case corp when I get my 5S later this year or beginning of next.

• Reply 4 of 4
    polymarkpolymark Posts: 2member
    I work in the oil and gas industry and I have my LifeProof case to be an excellent way to protect my i5. My wife and also use them when we go kayaking. I sure hope that OtterBox won't screw this up.