Rumor: Apple to vastly expand color options with this year's 'iPhone 5S' & low-cost iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Both Apple's next-generation flagship iPhone and the company's anticipated low-cost iPhone will come in an array of colors well beyond the current black and white options, a new rumor claims.

Colors

The rumors on Apple's 2013 iPhone lineup were detailed on Thursday by Japanese blog Macotakara, which apparently heard from two separate sources about this year's iPhone colors. The report indicated that Apple's anticipated low-cost iPhone will see a limited production of 1,000 units in June for field testing.

While the cheaper iPhone option is expected to be available in a range of colors, the report said that black will remain exclusive to Apple's flagship iPhone.

One source who spoke with author Danbo said the cheaper iPhone will come in navy, gold, orange, white and gray. The other offered a slightly different range of white, pink, green, blue and yellow-orange.

iPhone Colors

It was said that after the trial run in June, the low-cost iPhone will go into mass production between July and September before it ships to customers.

Thursday's report also claimed that Apple's next flagship handset, often referred to as an "iPhone 5S," will also get more colorful. Sources reportedly indicated that it will come in more than three colors.

Beyond the traditional black handset, which Apple has always offered, the report claimed that the company is considering offering gold and green iPhones. No mention was made of a white "iPhone 5S," but presumably Apple would keep that option in its lineup, as it has done for years.

The latest rumors could be supported by images that surfaced online last week showing multi-colored SIM trays alleged to be for a next-generation iPhone. Those SIM trays were shown in two colors: one with a greyish hue, and another that appeared to be either golden or beige.

Earlier this year, analyst Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets claimed he was told by supply chain sources that Apple planned to release an "iPhone 5S" in a total of eight colors later this year. The options he gave were pink, yellow, blue, green, purple, silver, and slate ? the same shades currently found on the iPod nano ? along with a (Product)Red model with proceeds benefitting AIDS research.

Flash

Finally, Macotakara also reported on Thursday that the "iPhone 5S" is also expected to include a dual LED flash. Such rumors have persisted for years but have yet to become a reality.

The report said that the dual LED will be accommodated with a pill-shaped space for the camera flash modules. In addition, it said that the microphone space on the back of the handset would become a circle, ditching its current tiny "pill" shape.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    jessijessi Posts: 302member

No doubt Apple is experimenting with iPhone colors, and has been, I think, for 6 years.   Whether they make it into the products this year or not will depend on the state of the coloring process they use.  Remember the problems with white iPhones early on?

That they are experimenting doesn't mean anything about their plans for this year, only that they are looking into it.

Black only on the high end seems likely, with a variety of colors on the low end seems more likely as well, especially if the low end is a polycarbonate case.

Apple's got a decade's experience with coloring polycarbonate cases. 

• Reply 2 of 47
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

I would like to see how badass black rMBP and Airs would look like :)

• Reply 3 of 47
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member
    Why not a Bondi Blue iPhone?
  • Reply 4 of 47
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    I will order a Gold iPhone 5S or iPhone 6
  • Reply 5 of 47
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    If they do go to a dual flash, they would mount it horizontally, not vertically.

Also, am I the only one pissed off that we won't get any new mobile gear until the end of the year? This seems like a ridiculously long time to make us wait given the accelerated cycles of the market lately.

There are already ultrabooks out with better specs in some cases than the MacBook Air they copy, are we going to suffer the same thing with tablets and phones as well? Apple needs to step up production IMO.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Absolutely fugly colors. Ugh.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    The color iPhones look ugly in that picture
  • Reply 8 of 47
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    Complicating the product line by introducing new colours seems like a strange move for a company that steadfastly refuses to complicate their product line with more than one size of current model phone. Most people who want colour already use an inexpensive cover. There's no solution available at any price for those who want a different size iPhone.

I work for a very Apple-centric company that's pretty much all Mac, but a large number of our employees have recently switched to Android. The driving forces are increased hardware choice and the fact that the big Canadian carriers restrict iPhones to their most expensive 3 year shared data plans and the small carriers don't support the iPhone at all.
  • Reply 9 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jessi View Post

... Black only on the high end seems likely, with a variety of colors (sic) on the low end seems more likely as well, especially if the low end is a polycarbonate case ....

This seems unlikely to me in that the white iPhones sell either the same volume or more than the black ones.  

The white iPhone is arguably the "cool" one, the flagship device etc. 

It would make more sense to me to either hold back the white one, or hold back black *and* white.  

Almost all phones are black.  Black is not unusual, not rare, nor necessarily desirable or "cool" currently.  

As for the colours people are guessing at in that chart ... none of them include that beige coloured SIM tray that leaked earlier this week, and if you assume that "orange" and "pink" are both different descriptors for that orangey-pinky-salmony colour of this year's iPod touches then the "guesses" are basically the same as the colour selection for those.  

So ... not exactly new information, probably guesses, probably wrong.  

I'm gonna go with all this stuff being just random guess-work other than the fact that the colour options do seem to be increasing in some as yet to be defined way.  

• Reply 10 of 47
    mac-daddymac-daddy Posts: 151member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bregalad View Post

Complicating the product line by introducing new colours seems like a strange move for a company that steadfastly refuses to complicate their product line with more than one size of current model phone. Most people who want colour already use an inexpensive cover. There's no solution available at any price for those who want a different size iPhone.

I work for a very Apple-centric company that's pretty much all Mac, but a large number of our employees have recently switched to Android. The driving forces are increased hardware choice and the fact that the big Canadian carriers restrict iPhones to their most expensive 3 year shared data plans and the small carriers don't support the iPhone at all.

Colors > Colours

• Reply 11 of 47
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Absolutely fugly colors. Ugh.

What about "Zune Brown"? I think Home Depot has a paint chip. :)

The low cost iPhone will be the rejiggered 4 with colors.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    stephanjobsstephanjobs Posts: 284member
    I look forward to a dual flash. I take lots if pics at work and while the iPhone 5 is a great little camera even in the dark, an extra flash would help tremendously with low light situations.

It just sucks that I invested in all sorts of cases since I figured the next three years (from iPhone 5 launch) they would fit both the iPhone 5 and 5s until the the 6th (or 8th iteration if by number counts).

If they do colors they will look better than the mock pics provided.

I look forward to new phones. I know it's not vey logical to expect, but I just wished they did more with the aesthetic every upgrade. I love their designs so much that I want a new apple phone each year. Lol
  • Reply 13 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Colors > Colours

Whichever of the two variations you use, it's patently obvious that "Colours" came first and that "colors" is the later variant.  

Therefore whichever one you personally happen to use or like, your caret is facing the wrong direction.  

clearly: Colours > Colors   image

"Color" should actually be pronounced Coh-lohr, if you apply the rules of pronunciation anyway (like Colon). 

• Reply 14 of 47
    These colors are ugly and don't match any color options that Apple has introduced in the past on any products.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-Daddy View Post

Colors > Colours

Colours is the European spelling, correct? 

• Reply 16 of 47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

If they do go to a dual flash, they would mount it horizontally, not vertically.

The dual flash IS mounted horizontally in these mock-ups. The purported phone is shown 'upright', whereas you should be taking most photos (and, of course ALL video) in landscape so the flash will be the way you expect. Panic over.

• Reply 17 of 47
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Horrible colours.  Just... yuck.

Wish they'd use the same colours as the iPod Touch, some of those are really nice.

• Reply 18 of 47

Colour is the English spelling. Most countries throughout Europe have a variation/different word for colour in their own language.

• Reply 19 of 47

I agree that the colours don't look that great. They may be inaccurate, or may look much better in the flesh. It's important to have a separate and distinct range of Apple colours to maintain brand identity and prevent confusion with different brands already using colours in their handsets.

• Reply 20 of 47
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    Does "cheap" really have to equal butt-ugly?

I will be forced to declare Apple doomed if they actually go with that 'rendered' set of colors, not to mention the clunky look of that design...