Best Buy to offer $50 off all iPhone 5 & 4S models starting Sunday

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Starting this Sunday, electronics retailer Best Buy will be offering $50 off the purchase of any new iPhone model with a service contract, marking a rare discount opportunity for Apple's smartphone lineup.

Best Buy

The upcoming sale will be a four-week-long promotion that applies to the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S on Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint, the three largest carriers in the U.S. The discount does not apply to the iPhone 4, which is already free with a two-year service contract, the company confirmed to AppleInsider.

The sale means shoppers will be able to buy an iPhone 4S for $49, a 16-gigabyte iPhone 5 for $149, a 32-gigabyte iPhone 5 for $249, or the top-end 64-gigabyte iPhone 5 for $349.

Customers will need to buy a new two-year service contract in order to receive the typical handset subsidy and Best Buy's special $50 discount. Discounts on some Android phones, including the Samsung Galaxy S III, are also planned to run from May 26 to June 1.

While discounts and buy one, get one free promotions are common for Android handsets and other smartphones, iPhone discounts tend to be infrequent because of Apple's strict pricing strategy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

iPhone 5s on the way?

• Reply 2 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

iPhone 5s on the way?

Memorial Day sale.

• Reply 3 of 12
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

Memorial Day sale.

Don't recall the 4S seeing a similar discount last Memorial Day.

This, plus all the other iPhone 5 promotions that have been springing up over the last few weeks, sounds like clearing out inventory to me.

• Reply 4 of 12
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member

Falls in the time period of the WWDC so it sounds like maybe a new iPhone announcement with a couple weeks buffer for Apple to begin shipping. 

• Reply 5 of 12
    harmonharmon Posts: 48member
    Unlikely that it's indicative of an imminent iPhone release with iOS 7 beta not yet released to developers. Unfortunately, it is more likely an indicator of slowing iPhone 5 sales.

I have not bought into the panic alarms, but I think Apple has made some missteps over the last 9 months. How many new things were announced last fall when some (especially iMac's) were not actually available because of supply shortages. Apple needs to have some sort of new or refreshed product announcement each quarter. That's doable. They just need to space them out a little.

I also believe the time has passed when Apple can afford to only change the appearance of the iPhone every two years. That was fine and made sense when there was no real competition. Now there is lots of competition. Apple needs to deliver something new each year and one of those things needs to be an iPhone with a larger screen. Not 5" large but maybe 4.2" with a 4:3 ratio.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    applepiapplepi Posts: 365member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harmon View Post

I also believe the time has passed when Apple can afford to only change the appearance of the iPhone every two years. That was fine and made sense when there was no real competition. Now there is lots of competition. Apple needs to deliver something new each year and one of those things needs to be an iPhone with a larger screen. Not 5" large but maybe 4.2" with a 4:3 ratio.

Agreed.

But I would say 4.5-4.7" would be a better fit. 4.2 is not much bigger than they already have. Ideally I'd like to see a 4.7 to match the HTC One. 

• Reply 7 of 12
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    I really don't care about iOS 7 or OSX 10.9, and I'm sick of new OS updates artificially holding back hardware updates. If they delay the rMBP refresh for the sake of 10.9, I'm going to be one unhappy camper. As for iOS 7, release the stupid beta already and get it out to developers. 6 saw what, 7 betas before GM? Get it out into the real world so we the developers can get the bugs out. That, or move WWDC to May next year and stop stalling.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    quest01quest01 Posts: 69member
    Looks like the iPhone 5s or iphone 6 is coming out soon, looking forward to it.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by quest01 View Post

Looks like the iPhone 5s or iphone 6 is coming out soon, looking forward to it.

Why would it be the iPhone 6? It's the 7th iPhone. imageimage

• Reply 10 of 12
    tom284tom284 Posts: 1member

False Advertising.  I just got off the phone with Best Buy, the cost of the iPhone 5 - 16GB is $199.  They said Apple raised their prices "overnight" to $249, and they are promoting $50 off to get it back to the $199.   The representative on the phone and at the store knew nothing about it..... 

Ignore all of the websites stating the the iphone 5 is $50 off at Bestbuy.

I knew it was too good to be true....

• Reply 11 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Tom284 View Post

They said Apple raised their prices "overnight" to $249, and they are promoting $50 off to get it back to the $199.

Wish you'd recorded that; he would have easily lost his job for lying like that.

• Reply 12 of 12
    garbagegarbage Posts: 12member

Supply & demand