Apple CEO mum on 'iWatch,' but praises Nike FuelBand & pans Google Glass

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook unsurprisingly declined to reveal any details about his company's future products at D11 on Tuesday, but he did offer some general comments on the emerging wearable device market.

Cook
Apple CEO Tim Cook at the D11 conference. | Source: AllThingsD

Pressed by journalists Walt Mossberg and Kara Swisher on wearable computing, Cook admitted that he finds the market to be an interesting space. He said he believes a large number of companies will sell competing wearable devices, but declined to say whether Apple will be one of those companies.

Cook did, however, reveal that he's a fan of the Nike FuelBand fitness tracker. He said the fitness company did a "great job" on the product, which connects to the iPhone, and revealed that he regularly uses the device.

As for Google Glass, Cook said he doesn't believe the search company's headset will become a mass-market item. He sees Google Glass being a niche product for certain markets.

While glasses may not be the direction the wearable computing market will head in Cook's eyes, he did say he felt the space is "ripe for exploration." He suggested that the wrist might be a more natural location to place a device.

But any such device must be much more than simply a computer worn on the wrist, the Apple CEO said.

?The whole sensor field is going to explode,? he said. ?It?s a little all over the place right now. With the arc of time it will become clearer.?

Last week, well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI securities suggested Apple is likely to release a so-called "iWatch" device in late 2014 with a focus on biometrics. He said the device will have a screen size between 1.5 and 2 inches, and will offer deep integration with existing iOS devices, like the iPhone and iPad.

As for those current devices, Cook was asked by Mossberg and Swisher about the dominant presence of Android in the market. Cook countered by noting that Apple makes the most music players and tablets, but not phones or PCs.

The CEO said he doesn't have his "head stuck in the sand" regarding the successes of Android in the smartphone space, but he also noted that winning at Apple isn't about making and selling the most products.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) Interesting that he wears a FuelBand.

2) I'm glad to hear Cook look positively on the wearable computer market. I think this is going to be huge.
  • Reply 2 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Oh Tim, you may be correct but I get worried when any CEO says such things about an emerging technology. Apple of all companies knows how that can be way of base.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Is there a reason AI couldn't have one article for this rather than splitting it into multiple ones. It's not like Cook really said much. In fact I'm not sure why he even does these things because he has so little to say. And no he didn't pan google glass. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 4 of 27
    darryn lowedarryn lowe Posts: 250member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Oh Tim, you may be correct but I get worried when any CEO says such things about an emerging technology. Apple of all companies knows how that can be way of base.

I worry about any CEO that doesn't. Technology has to start somewhere.

Besides your comment makes no sense:

• Apple I

• Apple II

• Mac

• Newton

• iPod

• iPhone

• iPad

If Apple didn't invent it they looked at the technology and saw how they could make it work.

Apple has often been at the forefront of emergent technology so for you to be worried about Apple's CEO looking this way then you haven't been paying attention over the past 30 years.

• Reply 5 of 27
    lun_esexlun_esex Posts: 27member

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Don't forget that it's often standard procedure for Apple to downplay a market or area of interest before jumping into it themselves (video on iPods, etc.).

• Reply 6 of 27
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    lun_esex wrote: »
    Don't forget that it's often standard procedure for Apple to downplay a market or area of interest before jumping into it themselves (video on iPods, etc.).

I don't think Apple are stupid enough to jump into the "market" of head mounted computers.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    duplicate
  • Reply 8 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is there a reason AI couldn't have one article for this rather than splitting it into multiple ones. It's not like Cook really said much. In fact I'm not sure why he even does these things because he has so little to say. And no he didn't pan google glass. image

Milking is best done one squeeze at a time.

• Reply 9 of 27
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Interesting that he wears a FuelBand.

2) I'm glad to hear Cook look positively on the wearable computer market. I think this is going to be huge.

Google Glass is a bluetooth device.  It is too expensive for an accessory to cost $1500.  

• Reply 10 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I believe that Google Glasses has the potential to be huge, and be as big a game-changer as the iPad was to the PC market in 2010, but only IF Google gets it right.

I sincerely hope Apple introduces something similar at some point in the future.
  • Reply 11 of 27
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    gtr wrote: »
    I believe that Google Glasses has the potential to be huge, and be as big a game-changer as the iPad was to the PC market in 2010, but only IF Google gets it right.

I sincerely hope Apple introduces something similar at some point in the future.

It is a waste of resources if you ask me. I can't see glass ever becoming socially acceptable.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Huge among perverts hanging around toilet blocks.

• Reply 13 of 27
    markbritonmarkbriton Posts: 123member
    I think it's interesting that earlier this year Nike announced that they won't be making an Android App. With Tim singing their praises, I wouldn't be surprised if the "iWatch" had Nike+ features deeply integrated.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

There are already enough things out for perverts - go onto Amazon and search for spy pen and you get lots of cameras you can hid on your person and film people without their knowledge. At least if you wear google glass people can see you have a camera pointing at them.

The other day I saw some guy on the subway pretending to do be typing on his iPhone when he was actually videoing the girl across from him.

• Reply 15 of 27
    dcolleydcolley Posts: 87member
    the iwatch or any smart watch is the new tracking ankle bracelet for the masses.
  • Reply 16 of 27
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darryn Lowe View Post

I worry about any CEO that doesn't. Technology has to start somewhere.

Besides your comment makes no sense:

• Apple I
    • Apple II
    • Mac
    • Newton
    • iPod
    • iPhone
    • iPad

If Apple didn't invent it they looked at the technology and saw how they could make it work.

Apple has often been at the forefront of emergent technology so for you to be worried about Apple's CEO looking this way then you haven't been paying attention over the past 30 years.

Do not forget Jobs stating that 10 inch was the minimum necessary size for a tablet.

And of course, Jobs was famous for saying that no-one was going to buy a big phone. At the time, 4.3 inch was about as big as you could get.

Not event Jobs got it right all the time. What hope has Cook got.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Apple should buy Nike! /s

• Reply 18 of 27
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Nairb View Post

Do not forget Jobs stating that 10 inch was the minimum necessary size for a tablet.

Said no such thing.

And of course, Jobs was famous for saying that no-one was going to buy a big phone.

And Apple isn't making a big phone.

Come on, man.

What hope has Cook got.

The hope that idiots will finally stop misquoting every single person on the planet.

• Reply 19 of 27
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    hill60 wrote: »

Nope, we don't want Google Glasses either. Battery life is too short.
    nairb wrote:
    There are already enough things out for perverts - go onto Amazon and search for spy pen and you get lots of cameras you can hid on your person and film people without their knowledge.

Watches are the least conspicuous:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2293906/GP-filmed-groping-300-women-using-secret-James-Bond-style-camera-hidden-watch.html

You'd think they'd have complained while being groped but it seems only after they found out it was recorded. Life lesson: grope away, just turn off the cameras first.
    rogifan wrote:
    And no he didn't pan google glass.

He did put down this incarnation. He said people don't want to wear glasses unless they have to, they want them to be as light as possible (Google Glasses are heavier than standard glasses and unevenly weighted) and they want them to be fashionable.

Even if they got lighter, had a longer battery life, could be integrated easily into any fashionable design, that still leaves the problem of people not wanting to wear glasses. People wear sunglasses without them being a requirement but people will want a wearable computing device with them at all times and there's the issue of changing glasses - you can't wear sunglasses and Google Glasses at the same time. Their Explorer Edition may fix this problem.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Watches are the least conspicuous:

A bit of a segue but I seem to recall Cook last night saying that the wrist is interesting.