New Macs, modernized iOS expected to appear at Apple's WWDC

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Though there won't be a new iPhone or iPad unveiling at Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, the company is expected to unveil new Mac hardware, along with a more modern looking version of iOS, according to one well-connected insider.

WWDC

Jim Dalrymple of The Loop offered his own expectations for WWDC on Wednesday, many of which are in line with recent rumors about the conference. Dalrymple has a proven track record in predicting Apple's future moves.

"Don't expect an iPhone or iPad at WWDC," he wrote plainly.

However, he does expect that Apple will introduce new Mac hardware at its keynote presentation, scheduled for June 10. In particular, AppleInsider has been tracking the drying up of MacBook Air inventory at authorized Apple resellers in the weeks leading up to WWDC.

Intel is set to officially launch its next-generation Haswell processors in early June, which are expected to appear in Apple's next-generation Macs. Also candidates for upgrades are the MacBook Pro, Mac mini, and a long-awaited Mac Pro redesign.

Dalrymple didn't offer any indication as to what new Macs Apple is likely to introduce at WWDC, but he did make an effort to tone down expectations regarding the anticipated iOS 7.

"Personally, I don't think Apple will take it as far as what some might think," he wrote. "The way I envision iOS 7 is more of a modernization of the look and feel of the operating system. Kind of like what Apple did with OS X over the years."

As for OS X 10.9, the next major update expected for Apple's Mac operating system, Dalrymple said he's particularly interested in what direction Apple takes. He noted that users have come to expect "deep integration" with all of Apple's products and services, and he predicts that a new OS X will offer tighter integration with services such as iCloud.

WWDC runs June 10 through 14 at Moscone West in San Francisco, Calif. AppleInsider will have full coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 103
    applezillaapplezilla Posts: 941member

Update the Retina Macbook Pros, please.

My nearly four year old 17-inch MBP is still going strong (especially after installing an SSD), but I've got the new Mac itch. Also my wife's six year old iMac is wearing thin on her and she's coveting my MBP.

• Reply 2 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

…he did make an effort to tone down expectations regarding the anticipated iOS 7.

Too late. The very fact that Apple is releasing an update of any sort means that if it doesn't cure cancer, AIDS, herpes, Alzheimer's, and induce orgasm in the entire crowd, it is an utter failure.

• Reply 3 of 103
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I just have one question:

What will 10.9 be called?

(Oh, and I'm really looking forward to what Jony will do)
  • Reply 4 of 103
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Sabertooth Tiger On A Snowboard.

To signify how they're going to start combining OS X (cats) and iOS (winter resorts).

• Reply 5 of 103
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

A direwolf. Or maybe a Lannister. :D

• Reply 6 of 103
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member
    How about some service improvements:
    - Improved Maps: navigation is on par with Google Maps in my city now. But POI are still lacking, and major roads are still shown in white, making them hard to pick out.
    - Better iCloud: iCloud sync'ing is hit and miss. Many third party developers hate it
    - Faster Siri: no need to say more
    - Siri coming to Mac OS X

As hardware become increasingly commoditized, services, services will be the selling point. Unfortunately for Apple, Google still has a leg up in terms of online service. They have been an online service since the start.
  • Reply 7 of 103
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

They just did that this past March.  I'd be surprised to see another update so soon....   But you never know  :)

• Reply 8 of 103
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Retina MacBook Air pleaseeeeeeeee

• Reply 9 of 103
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

(Oh, and I'm really looking forward to what Jony will do)

dog

• Reply 10 of 103
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

They just did that this past March.  I'd be surprised to see another update so soon....   But you never know  :)

Haswell is enough to assure buyers that the integrated graphics handle the pressure.

Oh... And SLI 750m, standard 750M on the 13" :)

Oh... and SLI 750m on the retina 17"

lol

• Reply 11 of 103
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    zoffdino wrote: »
    - Better iCloud: iCloud sync'ing is hit and miss. Many third party developers hate it.

The one thing I hate is that if you're app isn't in the App Store you can't use iCloud syncing but if it is the developer has to abide by extra strict guidelines with what the app can access. I'd like for one of these to give way. The last item in the FAQ explains this issue with some Bare Bones apps and their workarounds.

• Reply 12 of 103
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Regarding iOS, is Jim saying this based on things he knows or has been told or just what he thinks? Because Mark Gurman's reporting at 9to5Mac sounds like a significant overhaul. And Rene Ritchie and John Gruber have reported similar things.
  • Reply 13 of 103
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    I wouldn't be surprised if they dropped the cat-names to symbolize a break from the past. They'll have to do it at some point anyway. Since it's .9 though, they might try and stick with it one more revision.
  • Reply 14 of 103
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

Retina MacBook Air pleaseeeeeeeee

A 15" Retina MacBook Air would make my pants tight. I love my 15" rMBP, but it is a bit hefty.

• Reply 15 of 103
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Regarding iOS, is Jim saying this based on things he knows or has been told or just what he thinks? Because Mark Gurman's reporting at 9to5Mac sounds like a significant overhaul. And Rene Ritchie and John Gruber have reported similar things.

The definition of a "significant overhaul" is different for each person. For some people, if iOS still contains grids of icons, then that would not meet the definition (which, by the way, is a ridiculous opinion). 

• Reply 16 of 103
    cmfcmf Posts: 65member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DCGOO View Post

Really? A price drop and slightly updated components do not an update make. The real update that the MacBook Pro needs is Haswell + an upgraded GPU. Anand Tech's initial review hinted at this as a potential issue and further testing seems to confirm that it is the case. As someone who got burned by a GPU failure in the past (Nvidia 8600M GT), I'm very interested in seeing how Apple decides to solve this problem. Granted, most of the blame for this issue was with Nvidia's manufacturing process, Apple had to deal with the fallout; a situation they probably would not like to have happen again. If Apple had its way, we wouldn't be seeing the Retina MacBook Pro until at least this year, when they are able to source a GPU that is a better match for the product. If it's not clear already, I'm dismissing the 13" Pro, the Fall update was just to bring it up to date and didn't really add anything we hadn't seen before. I still expect the Mac's technology flagship to continue to be the 15" model. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Haswell is enough to assure buyers that the integrated graphics handle the pressure.

I hope you're right.

• Reply 17 of 103
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I like the logo.

[IMG]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/25776/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Making the reflection of WWDC partially into the Roman numerals for 2013 was decidedly clever, and typically Apple.
  • Reply 18 of 103
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    10.9 will be called Cougar, perhaps?
  • Reply 19 of 103
    I like Dalrymple. He's got something most lack: common sense.
  • Reply 20 of 103
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I like Dalrymple. He's got something most lack: common sense.

More important than that; inside contacts.