Best Buy launches limited-time trade-in program, $150 credit for iPhone 4 or 4S, free iPhone 5

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Best Buy this weekend will launch a one-day promotion giving iPhone 4 and 4S owners the chance to upgrade to the iPhone 5 for free, provided they're ready to trade in their existing devices.

iphones

On Saturday, Best Buy customers will be able to take advantage of a one-day deal to trade in either of the two previous iPhone models for the latest one, according to CNet. Trading in an iPhone 4 or 4S will result in a $150 trade-in credit, which will be applied toward the purchase of an iPhone 5.

Last week, the electronics retailer discounted the iPhone 5 to a price of $150 for a 16GB model. With the trade-in credit, the only costs customers will incur are applicable sales taxes and carrier activation fees.

In order to take advantage of the credit, customers must be eligible for an upgrade, and they must activate the iPhone 5 on a two-year contract with Verizon, AT&T, or Sprint. The trade-in credit isn't available online, either, so customers will have to enter a physical Best Buy store on Saturday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Get 'em hooked now so that they don't buy the 7th model in October. Great thinking, Best Buy!

• Reply 2 of 35
    trip1extrip1ex Posts: 109member

$150 for your 4S.  What a deal.  The going rate is at least twice that.  

• Reply 3 of 35
    souliisoulsouliisoul Posts: 827member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Get 'em hooked now so that they don't buy the 7th model in October. Great thinking, Best Buy!

It is called clearing their old inventory, so when next model is released, Bestbuy are not sitting on a massive amount of stock. Of course shame on BestBuy for thinking about their own financial situation and not Apple. Most probably, Apple would be happy with  this practice. Not everyone wants the latest and greatest version, since the person may not be able to afford the latest cost, but keeping them in the Apple brand is the next best thing.

• Reply 4 of 35

Funny, the BestBuy site linked to in the article describes a "trade-in plus" program, where you can get the "full trade in value of your phone plus $50 when you upgrade your mobile phone".  The links on their site say a iPhone 4S in "good" condition is worth $220 ($231 if perfect), so you'd end up with a gift card worth $270 - $281.  An even better deal than the $150 promised in the AI story.  Hmm.

On the other hand, $58 + $50 for an iPhone 4 in "poor" condition isn't quite as good a deal as promised by the above AI story.  Not sure how to claim the $150.

• Reply 5 of 35

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Of course shame on BestBuy for thinking about their own financial situation and not Apple.

Who said anything about Apple or their financial situation?

Not everyone wants the latest and greatest version, since the person may not be able to afford the latest cost…

Still upset that Apple couldn't care less about making a $50 phone, huh? Funny that you tiptoe around acknowledging the iPhone 4S would be great for that situation.

• Reply 6 of 35
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,403member

"qui cum canibus concumbunt cum pulicibus surgent."

-- B. Franklin.

• Reply 7 of 35

Who said anything about Apple or their financial situation?

Still upset that Apple couldn't care less about making a $50 phone, huh? Funny that you tiptoe around acknowledging the iPhone 4S would be great for that situation.

Why am I upset, this is just forum to voice comments, you take things personally and not very objective. Low cost iPhone does not mean a cost of $50, just price right to increase market share in India at faster rate.
  • Reply 8 of 35

Low cost iPhone does not mean a cost of $50, just price right to increase market share in India at faster rate.

But of course $300 off-contract is also completely unacceptable for some reason, right?

• Reply 9 of 35
    But of course $300 off-contract is also completely unacceptable for some reason, right?

Listen I know nothing about USA and India does not like contract option, tried and failed, so calm down and focus. Again not commenting about USA, you seen to be mixing your arguments.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

so what model of what phone? For the iPhone.......it is rumored that they will announce the iPhone 5s at the WWDC on June 10th. This following the iPhone 5 of course....it is also rumored that next year Apple will release the iPhone 6......

• Reply 11 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by trip1ex View Post

$150 for your 4S.  What a deal.  The going rate is at least twice that.  

Yes, sell it yourself on eBay or use a service like www.Gazelle.com instead.

• Reply 12 of 35
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

so what model of what phone? For the iPhone.......it is rumored that they will announce the iPhone 5s at the WWDC on June 10th. This following the iPhone 5 of course....it is also rumored that next year Apple will release the iPhone 6......

It's easier if you count on your fingers: whatever they call it, the next one they release will be the seventh iteration.  That's what he meant.

• Reply 13 of 35

Obtain your panties individually. Nothing I said was incorrect, subjectively or objectively, no matter how you try to lie about it this time. 

• Reply 14 of 35

Quote:

Obtain your panties individually. Nothing I said was incorrect, subjectively or objectively, no matter how you try to lie about it this time. 

What?.....panties? What...you are not making sense.........Nothing I said even remotely confusing....even for you. What was the lie you mentioned?

Here is what I said below...I have no idea where your comments are coming from....but you make no sense at all....

Quote:

Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

• Reply 15 of 35

Quote:

It seems to me your are  negative person, who does not know how to let go of previous discussion once it ends and your dislike carries over into the next discussion. Your comment is technical right iPhone, iPhone 2, iPhone 3, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5 (maybe iPhone 5s), so would be  7th model, since the introduction of iPhone.

No need to be rude with your comments, as I said double standards by you.

• Reply 16 of 35

Nothing I said even remotely confusing...

Nor did I say it was. In fact, I understood what you said better than you're pretending to have. Knock it off. And the personal attacks.

…who does not know how to let go of previous discussion once it ends and your dislike carries over into the next discussion.

You meant to quote geekdad. In all seriousness; I can't remember conversation to conversation, but one look at him will tell you he fits this bill perfectly.

• Reply 17 of 35

Quote:

Nor did I say it was. In fact, I understood what you said better than you're pretending to have. Knock it off. And the personal attacks.

You meant to quote geekdad. In all seriousness; I can't remember conversation to conversation, but one look at him will tell you he fits this bill perfectly.

I have not attacked you personally once. You are confusing asking for an explanation of your statements with attacks.....they are different. You make statements people ask for clarification or why and what you meant by those statements....its called discussion......that's why we are here.....

You are the negative person. You constantly bully and insult people. You deleted posts you disagree with. This is publicly known and discussed. You do this in the dark with no discussion and no notification. You are not going to bully me anymore....no intimidation anymore. All anyone has to do is look up you posts and how you respond to people. You are rude and nasty...telling people you disagree with to leave the site....we have all seen it......

So no....I am not negative.......but not going to take crap from you anymore. 

• Reply 18 of 35

Amen brother. Sometimes people need a blog of one with them being the only member, But $$$ can do strange things. Post and screenshot for the records,

• Reply 19 of 35

I have not attacked you personally once. You are confusing asking for an explanation of your statements with attacks.....they are different. You make statements people ask for clarification or why and what you meant by those statements....its called discussion......that's why we are here.....

You are the negative person. You constantly bully and insult people. You deleted posts you disagree with. This is publicly known and discussed. You do this in the dark with no discussion and no notification. You are not going to bully me anymore....no intimidation anymore. All anyone has to do is look up you posts and how you respond to people. You are rude and nasty...telling people you disagree with to leave the site....we have all seen it......

So no....I am not negative.......but not going to take crap from you anymore. 

Enjoy that fantasy!

What's publicly known is you've a vendetta against me because of one instance you refused to admit you were wrong. It's in your signature, even. How pathetic.

• Reply 20 of 35

Quote:

Enjoy that fantasy!

What's publicly known is you've a vendetta against me because of one instance you refused to admit you were wrong. It's in your signature, even. How pathetic.

What is publicly know is how you berate people who disagree with you. It is public knowledge how you delete peoples posts that don't conform to your narrow PoV. There was a feedback thread dedicated to it...but it looks like it was deleted...what a surprise. Do you want to talk signatures? You are so childish......look at your signature. I mean if you have to put something like that in a public signature....well it usually means the opposite.

Then who is Crowley? No disrespect to Crowley. but He/she or your pet....how do they know?

For my sig.....you made those contradicting statements then went back and deleted posts that challenged you on it.....