Apple devices vulnerable to attack via bogus charger...

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014

Apple iPhones can be taken over with "alarming" ease using a custom-built charger, security researchers warn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22764815

Oh boy... image

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

That's what you get for buying anything but actual Apple accessories. What's next, an OS X trojan that gets in by buying a third-party battery?

• Reply 2 of 4
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's what you get for buying anything but actual Apple accessories. What's next, an OS X trojan that gets in by buying a third-party battery?

Hehe... I was considering a third party lightning to 30-pin adapter for my iPhone 5.

Maybe I won't be a cheapskate on this occasion....

• Reply 3 of 4
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by MoXoM View Post

…third party lightning to 30-pin adapter… 

It bothers me that software can be injected in this way. It bothers me that third-party accessories are, far and away, just thrown-together crap that will break in a month. But I think it bothers me most that they commandeer Apple's official product images when selling their crap and manage to somehow get away with it. Apple should tackle that, as well as this thread's topic.

• Reply 4 of 4
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

I'd think that their technique would be more likely to be used by government agencies / law enforcement, than by "malicious chargers" bought off the internet.

Although I could also visualize someone setting up a fake iPhone charging station at a mall and putting a password trojan in every phone that was used on it.

(Remember when those guys put a fake non-working ATM in a mall, just to collect ATM card numbers and passwords?)