BlackBerry Messenger not coming to iPhone, iPad June 27 [U]

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
BlackBerry Messenger is still going cross-platform, but it won't be appearing on iOS and Android on June 27, contrary to a report published Thursday.

bbm

T-Mobile UK originally claimed in a tweet on Thursday that BlackBerry Messenger for iOS and Android would launch on June 27. But BlackBerry quickly issued a statement to say the date reported is inaccurate.

"We will communicate an update as soon as we have an availability date to share," BlackBerry said.

When it launches this summer, BBM is expected to be a free download, and it will be available for devices running at least iOS 6 or Android 4.0.

BlackBerry, formerly known as Research in Motion, announced plans to take BBM cross-platform in May, with CEO Thorsten Heins describing the move as a sign of confidence. Taking the service cross-platform could allow BlackBerry to potentially attract customers from the two competing platforms. More likely, it will allow the company to connect its existing customers to their contacts that do not have BlackBerry devices, potentially giving them a reason to stay with BlackBerry.

BlackBerry Messenger has been widely lauded as a solid and secure messaging system, and it was a point of pride for the company during its heyday. In the years since, though, a number of platform-specific and cross-platform apps and services have sprung up.

BBM, when it debuts on Apple's platform, will go up against not only Apple's iMessage service, which reproduces many of BBM's features as well as its security, but also third-party apps like WhatsApp. Also the social network Facebook has been pushing its Facebook Messenger service on both Android and iOS.

BBM will also have competition from a recently revamped Google service, Hangouts, which Google has used to tie together its disparate messaging services into a more cohesive single system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

This date was debunked.

• Reply 2 of 14
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    And not a moment too soon

/s
  • Reply 3 of 14

Is BBM even relevant to more than just a couple of percent of iOS and Android users? And I'd imagine even saying a couple of percent is largely inflating the number of people who will care.

• Reply 4 of 14
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Awesome. I can now message the 1 person I know that uses a blackberry with this new app. Can't wait. /s

Also, this isn't "taking on" anything. iMessage is built into all iOS devices, is integrated with the default messaging app, and is not going to be hurt one iota by this app. 

• Reply 5 of 14
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I would like Apple to release iMessage for other devices or at least have a web client that can be accessed with your free iCloud account, Meebo-style.

2) BBM for iOS is actually a really good idea… for 2008.
  • Reply 6 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    To use iMessage exclusively it needs to be cross platform. Or at least have an Android app for sending to the other half of Smartphone users. If a cross platform iMessage app was the only thing Apple announced at WWDC, I'd be happy.
  • Reply 7 of 14
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I would like Apple to release iMessage for other devices or at least have a web client that can be accessed with your free iCloud account, Meebo-style.

It needs to be a mobile client. This is 2013, not 2007.
  • Reply 8 of 14
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) I would like Apple to release iMessage for other devices or at least have a web client that can be accessed with your free iCloud account, Meebo-style.

2) BBM for iOS is actually a really good idea… for 2008.

LOL ... BB should bring out an add on physical keyboard for iOS phones too, after all who wants to use a virtual one? Thumbs are all the rage with 'real pro users' ... Oh wait it's 2013 ...
  • Reply 9 of 14
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    "I'm so 2008, BB is 2000 and late"
  • Reply 10 of 14
    mcdpmcdp Posts: 1member

Everybody dumping on BB here seem so defensive and self-righteous.  What are they worried about? 

• Reply 11 of 14
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by McDp View Post

Everybody dumping on BB here seem so defensive and self-righteous.  What are they worried about? 

RIM employees coming here and being paid to say bad things about Apple? image

Truly there's nothing to be worried about. iMessage is so far removed from BBM that it's yet again embarrassing that a company with so much history in a field could be outdone by the newcomer Apple.

• Reply 12 of 14
    www.bbm-for-iphone.co.uk says that BBM on iphone is going to be available in 14 days. And, www.bbmforiphone.co.uk say the same thing. I have looked at a few other sites and they hint at this, but they don't have the count down clock like the first site. Are these real sites?
  • Reply 13 of 14

It's a great idea, I just hope it isn't all one big hoax!

• Reply 14 of 14
    00lokey00lokey Posts: 2member
    Blackberry is history all washed up. If you fwel the need to bbm. Tell that blackberry useer to get a real phone. Blackberry has ran out of ideas.They make nice equipment that ends up as a paper weight in the first week of ownership.