Can I use a mini-display to DVI cable on my 2012 MBP to connect to an external monitor?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014

I just got a new 2012 MBP with thunderbolt. I have an external monitor with a DVI input. Can I use a mini display to DVI cable to connect to the monitor or do I have to get a thunderbolt to DVI cable?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Same thing, really. Thunderbolt is physically compatible with Mini DisplayPort for a reason. Here's what you're after.

• Reply 2 of 5
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member

Thanks Tallest Skil.

• Reply 3 of 5
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Generally I would recommend a single cable solution when it's available. I've used those adapters before. I have a mini displayport to displayport cable around that provides a better connection than I ever got from adapters. I found a dvi equivalent on monoprice, but reviews are mixed. They've provided a lot of decent stuff in the past. Some people complained about the fit on this one.

It looks like the Apple adapter has mixed reviews too. In that case I would probably try the monoprice one first. Also make sure you do not use the $50 thunderbolt cable. The port may be backwards compatible with mini displayport. The cables are not.

• Reply 4 of 5
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,402member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Generally I would recommend a single cable solution when it's available. I've used those adapters before. I have a mini displayport to displayport cable around that provides a better connection than I ever got from adapters. I found a dvi equivalent on monoprice, but reviews are mixed. They've provided a lot of decent stuff in the past. Some people complained about the fit on this one.

It looks like the Apple adapter has mixed reviews too. In that case I would probably try the monoprice one first. Also make sure you do not use the $50 thunderbolt cable. The port may be backwards compatible with mini displayport. The cables are not.

Thanks. That looks like the one I had already found on mono price. Given the price of it, I'm going to order it.

• Reply 5 of 5

I actually found it hard to differentiate them at first. They can be used interchangeably. I’m actually using the thunderbolt port to connect to a Mini Displayport cable or adapter.