Apple announces OS X Mavericks with Finder tabs, tags, and true multiple display support

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Monday unveiled Mavericks, the start of the next 10 years of its Mac OS X operating system, with a naming switch from breeds of cat to California locales. It will launch this fall on the Mac App Store

Mavericks

Craig Federighi, head of OS X development for Apple, unveiled OS X 10.9 Mavericks at the Worldwide Developers Conference 2013 keynote. He highlighted three key features found in the forthcoming operating system update: new tabs in Finder, the ability to tag individual files, and enhanced support for multiple displays.Mavericks will have more than 200 new features, key among them a tabbed interface in Finder, file tagging, enhanced multi-display support, and improvements to system speed and performance.

In one example, Federighi labeled a file with multiple tags such as "Important," "In Review," and "Website." On the left side of Finder, color-coded tags are viewable, allowing users to more quickly locate files associated with each tag.

"The Mac has consistently outpaced the PC industry and OS X continues to be the most innovative and easy to use operating system in the world," said Federighi, Apple?s senior vice president of Software Engineering.
OS X Mavericks is our best version yet and features new Maps and iBooks apps, Finder Tags and Tabs, enhanced multi-display support, performance and energy saving features, and an all new Safari."

With multiple display support, users will be able to access the menu bar and dock separately on each display. In one demonstration, Federighi loaded different full-screen applications on each of two displays.

Mission Control has also been "supercharged" for multiple displays, he said. In one demonstration, a full-screen application was dragged across displays to a second screen.

Mavericks also adds support for Apple TV, making it a full-powered OS X display. Users can view their menu bar, dock, and launch new applications on their television set.

Another new feature announced by Apple is dubbed "Timer Coalescing." It allows CPU activity to be reduced by up to 72 percent in certain situations.

Enhanced "Compressed Memory" functionality will rapidly compress the inactive memory, freeing up space "almost instantaneously" to available applications, Federighi said.

Safari has also been updated with a new starting page, and a sidebar with quick access to bookmarks, Reading List, and shared links. The browser also comes with "big improvements" to performance, including Javascript, Federighi said.

The new Safari offers a JSBench score 3.8 times better than Firefox, and also more than doubling the performance of Google's Chrome. And Safari will use less memory and energy and its competition.

Another new feature called "AppNow" will reduce power usage on tasks that are hidden in the background. In one example, an iTunes window was dragged in front of an active Safari browser, and Federighi demonstrated how CPU usage was drastically reduced.

And interactive Notifications will allow users to reply to a message, respond to a FaceTime call or even delete an e=mail without leaving the app being used. Websites can now use notifications to keep users up to date on the latest news, scores and other information. While You Were Away Notifications make sure users see what happened while your Mac was asleep.

Kicking off Monday's presentation, Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook revealed that Apple now has a Mac install base of 72 million users. Sales of the Mac are up 100 percent over the last 5 years, PC is up just 18 percent.

"It's never been about making the most," Cook said. "We care much more than the Mac is number one in customer sat and quality."

To date, Apple has shipped 28 million copies of its current OS X operating system, Mountain Lion, making it the best selling release of all time.

Currently, 35 percent of users are using Mountain Lion. Windows 8 is "struggling to get to 5," Cook said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 69
    Watching apple event right now!????
  • Reply 2 of 69
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Cool, albeit boring for most, update.  Seems most of it is behind the scenes, but tagging seems good for productivity.  Still can't believe multiple screens took this long to fix (I don't use it, but I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been for others).

• Reply 3 of 69
    wdowellwdowell Posts: 226member
    Great to see something other than stupid Facebook integration and kiddy features.
  • Reply 4 of 69
    Nice changes. I like it!
  • Reply 5 of 69
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Typo in article, you call it OS X 10.9 Mountain Lion.
  • Reply 6 of 69

Now it's getting saucy.  Maps w/ push directions, Notifications, Calendar that shows weather (that's awesome!).  Keep 'em coming!

• Reply 7 of 69
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    Interesting! Tags is clearly Apple's solution to the file management quandary. A very powerful solution for advanced users but will the average user adopt the solution? Are users becoming familiar with tags by using products like Evernote?
  • Reply 8 of 69
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member

I love the Push to iPhone feature. 

• Reply 9 of 69

Did they finally bring back the "Snooze" function to appointments?

• Reply 10 of 69
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Typos typos typos. FFS!!!
  • Reply 11 of 69
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Man, they screwed up a lot with names this time. Craig called it Mountain Lion on stage, Phil called Thunderbolt 2 "FireWire 2"… twice in a row…

• Reply 12 of 69
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Was there any mention of hardware requirements?
  • Reply 13 of 69
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    razorpit wrote: »

I didn't hear any. Though the 60fps on iOS will probably require new hardware.
  • Reply 14 of 69

Originally Posted by razorpit View Post

A developer will surely leak the beta specs later today.

• Reply 15 of 69

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Man, they screwed up a lot with names this time. Craig called it Mountain Lion on stage, Phil called Thunderbolt 2 "FireWire 2"… twice in a row…

I thought he kept messing up the name calling it OS X MaverickS.  So I had to double check the name.  No... it's not named Maverick, singular.  It actually is plural.

OS X looks awesome... but the name is absolutely terrible.

• Reply 16 of 69
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    andysol wrote: »
    Cool, albeit boring for most, update.  Seems most of it is behind the scenes, but tagging seems good for productivity.  Still can't believe multiple screens took this long to fix (I don't use it, but I can only imagine how frustrating that must have been for others).

Tagging is most definitely the future... well actually the present. Think "hash tag".

I was wondering how long it would take Apple to do tagging truthfully. I just hope it's using OpenMeta tags...?!
  • Reply 17 of 69
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

I thought he kept messing up the name calling it OS X MaverickS.  So I had to double check the name.  No... it's not named Maverick, singular.  It actually is plural.

....Brought to you by a "team of mavericks" - but I didn't see either John McCain or Sarah Palin in the audience.....

• Reply 18 of 69

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

*shrug* Gnarly, dude.

• Reply 19 of 69
    ecsecs Posts: 307member
    Finally, a true Apple keynote, after too many months of iOS routine.
  • Reply 20 of 69
    tokyojimutokyojimu Posts: 529member

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Better than them reading their talks from a script.