Apple looks to build on notebook momentum with refreshed MacBook Air

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
With its newly announced line of revamped MacBook Airs, Apple significantly bumped up the power of its bestselling computer line even while keeping the same slim and light profile that's helped make the notebook so popular.

air

Announcing the new MacBook Airs today, Apple marketing chief Philip Schiller noted that the line was already the "industry leader for thin and light notebooks."

Schiller pointed to figures showing Apple's Mac lineup earning top spots in the PC industry even as the sector stumbles, with MacBooks and iMacs taking the number one spot in the U.S. for their respective categories.

The refreshed MacBook Airs build on a wealth of fresh technologies, most notable being a drastically increased battery life thanks to Intel's new Haswell processors. The silicon will enable up to 12 hours of normal use for the 13-inch model and up to 10 hours for the 11-inch model, as well as up to a month of standby for both.

schill

By comparison, the previous generation of MacBook Air, according to Apple, was capable of up to five hours of battery life on a single charge for the 11-inch model. The 13-inch model could get up to 7 hours of use on a single charge.

As had been rumored, Apple also built improved Wi-Fi connectivity its new Airs, likely signaling a similar rollout across the Mac lineup in the months to come. The addition of 802.11ac, the fifth-generation wireless standard, will enable connection speeds of up to 1Gbps per second over two channels, with a maximum theoretical speed of 1.3Gbps, or roughly 50 percent faster than the current 802.11n spec.

Apple also took time to tout improvements to the flash storage that allows the company to make the Air as thin as it is. The new flash components are said to be up to 45 percent faster than the preceding generation, allowing speeds up to nine times faster than a traditional 5400-rpm notebook hard drive. Such speeds will likely have a significant impact on how quickly the new Airs wake from sleep.

slim

As predicted by KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Apple added dual microphones to the thin-and-light for improved voice quality for VoIP and FaceTime calls. Also included in the latest Air is one high-speed Thunderbolt port and two USB 3.0 ports, a FaceTime HD camera and support for dual displays.

Many observers expected a refresh of the MacBook Air line due to the dwindling supply of the devices in the weeks leading up to Monday's event. Many of the notebooks' new features had been anticipated in rumors, but one that did fail to materialize was the addition of a Retina Display like that seen with the MacBook Pro line. The higher resolution display, though, requires more energy to power, and the Air likely could not maintain the small frame that is its signature were it to put in a battery large enough to power a Retina Display all day.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    The new MBA had a very nothing to see here type of feel to it.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Good going AI, so far no mention of new Mac Pro ...? :no:
  • Reply 3 of 21
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Good going AI, so far no mention of new Mac Pro ...? image

Two threads about it, I think.

• Reply 4 of 21
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

it was a great update, all things considered.

Clearly the entry level notebook and it just became even better than the rest, especially when you consider how awesome the new OSX looks and what it brings.

That battery life is not 100% related to haswell, far from it.

• Reply 5 of 21
    zroger73zroger73 Posts: 787member
    Considering OSX 10.9 won't be available until later this year, what version of OSX do you expect ships with the mid-2013 MBA? I doubt Apple will claim such a battery life increase if it requires OSX 10.9 to do it.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    iobserveiobserve Posts: 96member
    Wow, 13 hours!
    I thought my 7 hours on MBA was great.
    That compares to the 1.5 hour battery life of my toshiba...
  • Reply 7 of 21
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

it was a great update, all things considered.

Clearly the entry level notebook and it just became even better than the rest, especially when you consider how awesome the new OSX looks and what it brings.

That battery life is not 100% related to haswell, far from it.

effectively this.

There is no more macbook.  the MacBook Air is the center of the Mac Portable line now.   It's the all day everyday computer.

The iPads are below it, the Pros are above it.   

The thing about portability is not how much you can put into it, but how much you can leave out.  the MBA is minimalist, yet, faster, more storage, and assuming the same weight, almost a full day battery life.

Retina is a great option, but it cause too much compromise.

a 15" isn't as portable.

More ports just doesn't fly when the 'job' for this is to not to connect but to be untethered.

With the new OS docking this to a Cinema display or even an AirPlayed AppleTV device is going to be pure heaven.

It's all I want in a portable device (well maybe  more RAM... but I need to run a couple virtual machines)

• Reply 8 of 21
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Perhaps they skipped the MBP because of the dual-core Ivy Bridge CPUs for the 13" model. There should be CPUs and GPUs for the 15" ones out already.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Marvin wrote: »
    Perhaps they skipped the MBP because of the dual-core Ivy Bridge CPUs for the 13" model. There should be CPUs and GPUs for the 15" ones out already.

It's clear now they plan on doing Both MBPs at once
  • Reply 10 of 21
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

One thing Apple should do, is grow a big pair of balls and create their own pro thunderbolt dock stations and accessories, like sony did with the vaio Z.

• Reply 11 of 21

I can't believe Apple. My old MacBook pro is on its last legs. I was set to buy a new laptop. I was either going to buy a new Air with a Retina display or the new pro with the new Haswell chip. They didn't come out with either! I want the sharp monitor and the better chip set. I am sure I am not alone. I will not be buying a new machine that will be dated before the summer is over. This is cray. Who is going to buy the dated Pros? Not Me! Why not a retina MacBook Air...even if they overpriced it? Both laptops are now clearly less than they should be. This is the first time I am embarrassed to be an Apple owner.

• Reply 12 of 21

Originally Posted by Mleibson View Post

I can't believe Apple.

Good for you.

They didn't come out with either!

How dare they. image

I will not be buying a new machine that will be dated before the summer is over. 

Then… don't… buy one now?

This is cray. 

No, this is Haswell.

Who is going to buy the dated Pros? Not Me!

Then. Don't. Buy. One. Now.

Both laptops are now clearly less than they should be. 

lol.

This is the first time I am embarrassed to be an Apple owner.

OH, SHUT UP YOU ENTITLED MORON. What in the world is wrong with you that would lead you to this ludicrous point of view? For your sake, you'd better hope Slurpy doesn't read this. The last thing he needs is another blood pressure spike caused by the sheer stupidity of some people here, real or pretend.

• Reply 13 of 21
    plagenplagen Posts: 151member
    mleibson wrote: »
    <span style="font-family:'Helvetica Neue';font-size:12px;line-height:normal;">I can't believe Apple. My old MacBook pro is on its last legs. I was set to buy a new laptop. I was either going to buy a new Air with a Retina display or the new pro with the new Haswell chip. They didn't come out with either! I want the sharp monitor and the better chip set. I am sure I am not alone. I will not be buying a new machine that will be dated before the summer is over. This is cray. Who is going to buy the dated Pros? Not Me! Why not a retina MacBook Air...even if they overpriced it? Both laptops are now clearly less than they should be. This is the first time I am embarrassed to be an Apple owner.</span>

I find it unthinkable that Apple did not coordinate their business plan with your bowel movements.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    applegreenapplegreen Posts: 421member

Quote:

I can't believe Apple. My old MacBook pro is on its last legs. I was set to buy a new laptop. I was either going to buy a new Air with a Retina display or the new pro with the new Haswell chip. They didn't come out with either! I want the sharp monitor and the better chip set. I am sure I am not alone. I will not be buying a new machine that will be dated before the summer is over. This is cray. Who is going to buy the dated Pros? Not Me! Why not a retina MacBook Air...even if they overpriced it? Both laptops are now clearly less than they should be. This is the first time I am embarrassed to be an Apple owner.

I think the rMBP will be updated with Haswell in the next few weeks.  Apple just wanted to give the Macbook Air a head start.

• Reply 15 of 21

Originally Posted by AppleGreen View Post

I think the rMBP will be updated with Haswell in the next few weeks.

That's more optimistic than I would have been, though I totally agree with your premise. Hopefully the iMac and Mac Mini will get theirs at the same time.

• Reply 16 of 21
    nickk28nickk28 Posts: 2member
    Correction. The MacBook Air isn't the only product apple has out that runs the 802.11ac standard. The Mac Pro does too.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member
    BFD. Where is the refreshed MacBook Pro with retina? It's like Tim hates me personally or something.
  • Reply 18 of 21

Quote:

Most of the rMBP's got revised not too long ago, & the cMBP's (classic) maybe dropped to 1 model of each size, or less, before long. My guess is that they, & the iMacs, will be revised together by the end of the summer or during the autumn / fall. Like everyone else, Apple are dependant on intel having the chips ready in time & in enough quantities. Not saying that there were or are problems, I have no idea, but they did have problems with a new chip design a couple of years ago I seem to recall. Also Haswell was being held back by intel for a few months to rundown stocks of their older range/s too.

The 2nd half of the year looks like it will be a busy 1 for Apple, as has been mentioned in previous threads, & Apple have more or less implied.

• Reply 19 of 21
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Where is the refreshed MacBook Pro with retina? It's like Tim hates me personally or something.

It's waiting for Thunderbolt 2, and perhaps a 4K display on the ultra high-end model. Because it's the machine that appeals to those video guys.

---

BTW, did the processor ratings drop a notch in the move to Haswell? I had thought the MBA started at 1.7GHz, not 1.3GHz.

• Reply 20 of 21
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

Overall a very good keynote, my only disappointment was that upgraded rMBP's weren't released together with the new MBA's. But it stands to reason that they'll be upgraded to Haswell too - sooner rather than later I hope.