Apple's 2013 Design Awards announced, 'Evernote' and 'Yahoo! Weather' among winners

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming hours after the WWDC keynote, the annual Apple Design Awards results were announced, with big names like Evernote and Yahoo! Weather being among the best apps on iOS and Mac OS X for 2013.

ADA

The awards, which were handed out at the Presidio Monday night, celebrated those iPhone, iPad and Mac apps released within the last year that demonstrated "technical excellence, innovation and outstanding design."

In all, 11 apps made the cut, including two submissions from student developers. In addition, this year also saw applications for student scholarships, with winners getting a free pass to attend WWDC in San Francisco. Entrants only had eight days to come up with an app that described their experience and backgrounds.

2013 Apple Design Awards (as listed on Apple's webpage): As for the student scholarship showcase, Apple featured three submissions: 17-year-old Louis Harboe's "My Adventure book," 19-year-old Bryan Keller's eponymous "Bryan Keller," and 13-year-old Puck Meerbug's "WWDC."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    The new iOS 7 weather app looks to BE this Yahoo Weather app--with tweaks. (But not a rip-off, a partnership: the iOS weather app always had a Yahoo logo and still does.)
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I am very interested in the story behind the weather app. It is quite clear hat Apple has collaborated with Yahoo on this. The look is almost exactly the same. It would be interesting if Apple and Yahoo developed it in conjunction, or if Apple approached Yahoo to use it after they saw the Yahoo app (I doubt this theory, since it wouldn't have given Apple much time to complete it, considering how recently Yahoo released their app).

Either way, I think there is an interesting story here, with some insight on the Apple-yahoo partnership.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    Yay. Ridiculous fishing is awesome.
  • Reply 4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

I am very interested in the story behind the weather app. It is quite clear hat Apple has collaborated with Yahoo on this. The look is almost exactly the same. It would be interesting if Apple and Yahoo developed it in conjunction, or if Apple approached Yahoo to use it after they saw the Yahoo app (I doubt this theory, since it wouldn't have given Apple much time to complete it, considering how recently Yahoo released their app).

Either way, I think there is an interesting story here, with some insight on the Apple-yahoo partnership.

ONE MORE clue that Apple is about to buy Yahoo.

• Reply 5 of 7
    airbubbleairbubble Posts: 105member
    I too love the new look weather app from Apple.
    The app itself was most likely in development long age in conjunction with Yahoo
    but Apple gave Yahoo the drop on the release first.
    Since it would have been to long a wait for the WWDC & iOS release for later this year.

Plus there is so much more that can be done added to in the future with this new
    weather app.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

ONE MORE clue that Apple is about to buy Yahoo.

for the weather app? Looks expensive and a pain.

• Reply 7 of 7
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

There's really no point in paying attention to these awards anymore.

Apple refuses to acknowledge that OS X even exists, so that's a big FU to those developers.