Inside iOS 7: Siri gets smarter with new system controls

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Siri, Apple's voice-driven personal assistant, will become even more helpful with iOS 7 by granting users the ability to control settings such as Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and even screen brightness.

Siri

By holding the home button and invoking Siri, users can issue a command such as "increase the brightness," or "turn off Bluetooth." Users can also enable or disable the new built-in flashlight functionality.

When asked to turn on "Airplane Mode," Siri will even warn users that it will no longer be functional, as the software requires an Internet connection to operate.

Settings that are changeable are accompanied by onscreen controls that a user can manually change by tapping. For functions that Siri is not able to accomplish, such as enabling "Personal Hotspot", disabling LTE, or turning off location services, the system provides a quick link to the respective section in the Settings application.

In the first iOS 7 beta, the full list of settings that can be controlled by Siri are:
  • Bluetooth
  • Wi-Fi
  • Airplane Mode
  • Brightness
  • Flashlight
Siri

On some settings, such as lowering the volume, Siri simply responds by saying it can't be done. It's possible such capabilities could be added to iOS 7 before its public launch this fall.

Siri is also able to play new voicemails, return missed calls, and is compatible with the new iTunes Radio feature in Apple's official Music application. Users simply ask Siri to play a saved radio station from iTunes Radio, and it will begin streaming with a tappable link to the "Now Playing" screen.Siri will gain new voices when iOS 7 launches this fall, but they are not available in Apple's first beta for developers.

With iOS 7, Siri also gains the ability to embed search results directly from Wikipedia, Twitter, and Bing. The default search engine has also been changed to Bing, rather than Google.

However, users can still have Siri return search results from Google by simply starting the query with "Search Google for?" By doing this, Siri will simply open up the Safari browser with a Google search result.

Siri

The same can also be done with searches on Yahoo, Twitter and Wikipedia, but users cannot currently search online storefronts like Amazon, or even Apple's own iTunes.

Siri also has a new look that fits in with the redesign of iOS 7. Once activated, the software fades into view on top of whatever is currently on the screen, and a new wavelength at the bottom of the display shows Siri listening as a user speaks.

Apple has also promised even further changes to Siri that are not currently available to test in the first iOS 7 beta. Specifically, Siri's voice will be changing to become "clearer" and "more natural-sounding."

When iOS 7 becomes available this fall, users will also be able to choose between a female or male voice when interacting with Siri. Those voices will initially be available in U.S. English, French, and German.

For more information, see AppleInsider's ongoing Inside iOS 7 series, the other parts of which are included below:

Apple puts Pandora on notice with iTunes Radio

Apple automates picture organization in new Photos app

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Nice !
  • Reply 2 of 39
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Finally! More benefits of Forstall being canned.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Me: Siri, search Google for ... <siri interrupts>

Siri: World never changes. 

• Reply 4 of 39
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

It is nice.  Her searches show much more data- and it is much prettier.  I got to play around with iOS 7 on my friends phone last night (who is a developer).  For a beta- it runs very well.  The layout is excellent.  I like almost every UI change for sure.  Even the "iPhone search" function is much more intuitive.

My only UI change I don't like is the color of the background of app folders.  Outside of that- I give it a 99/100.  :)

• Reply 5 of 39
    andysol wrote: »
    It is nice.  Her searches show much more data- and it is much prettier.  I got to play around with iOS 7 on my friends phone last night (who is a developer).  For a beta- it runs very well.  The layout is excellent.  I like almost every UI change for sure.  Even the "iPhone search" function is much more intuitive.
    My only UI change I don't like is the color of the background of app folders.  Outside of that- I give it a 99/100.  :)
    What wallpaper are you using?
  • Reply 7 of 39
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Sometimes at night, I don't want to open my eyes. Now, with iOS 7 Siri, I can use the flashlight entirely by voice, and never have to open my eyes!
  • Reply 8 of 39
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Sometimes at night, I don't want to open my eyes. Now, with iOS 7 Siri, I can use the flashlight entirely by voice, and never have to open my eyes!

What use is the flashlight with your eyes closed ?
  • Reply 9 of 39
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    Cool, but I'd love to see them open it to devs. Use would skyrocket.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    smiffy31 wrote: »
    What use is the flashlight with your eyes closed ?

Signaling S.O.S? ;-)
  • Reply 11 of 39
    iOS7 Siri can't open Safari. It says, "You don't have an app named Safari"
  • Reply 12 of 39
    iOS7 Siri can't open Safari. It says, "You don't have an app named Safari"
    Probably a bug. report it.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    leesmithleesmith Posts: 121member
    I was playing with Siri in iOS7 last night. WAY more useful than previous versions. The addition of Bing and Wikipedia searches are a nice addition to.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member
    Correct me if I am wrong please, but for ALL Siri commands internet connection is required?
    For 'most' Google Voice command requests internet is NOT required?

IMO- anyways... I wish Siri did some very basic local commands with out the internet. Or does it?
  • Reply 15 of 39
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

For 'most' Google Voice command requests internet is NOT required? 

Really? I thought everything related to Google uses the Internet with the possible exception of SketchUp and perhaps Picasa.

I'm not sure why Google voice search is so much faster than Siri but it is.

• Reply 16 of 39
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

On every April 2'nd Siri's reply should be "I can't do that, Hal" and the screen should show a red light.

• Reply 17 of 39
    dmarcootdmarcoot Posts: 191member
    All I ask is when will Siri read me my emails or allow me to change a reminder or calendar item after if was created?
  • Reply 18 of 39
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    Correct me if I am wrong please, but for ALL Siri commands internet connection is required? For 'most' Google Voice command requests internet is NOT required? IMO- anyways... I wish Siri did some very basic local commands with out the internet. Or does it?

Can't find the article right now but you are correct. Google Search/Now doesn't require interaction with a server, Siri calls home. Thus the delay sometimes. Sure wish I could find the article, it explains better than I'm able.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    I wish siri would allow me to switch languages easily without going to settings.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    The biggest improvement I've noticed is how much faster it is. I mean, it's FAST. Very comparable to Google now speeds. The thing never spins for more than a second, and usually much less. Definitely a massively improved experience all-around, and I can't wait for the new voice as te current one has always grated me.

The interface is also gorgeous.