To buy or not to buy a new Macbook Air

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

I have a 2007 Macbook Pro which works great until I dropped it in its case. The screen bezel had a crack an inch from the bottom on both sides. The computer and screen still work. I have a repair quote for about $225.

I'm wondering whether I should have it repaired or just buy a Macbook Air. 

Thanks for any guidance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Since it still works, I wouldn't bother repairing it but it is a good idea to get a new one.

How did it crack - aren't the Macbook Pro bezels metal?

The machine itself is only worth about $300-400 used so a $225 repair would be a bit wasted.

You'll still get something for it second hand and Apple has a refurb section where you can get discounted models so that an upgrade isn't so expensive:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Last year's 13" is in there for $850 with mostly the same spec as the $999 11". They mainly just improved battery life this time round. Those deals are only available as long as they have refurb models so if you see a good one, it's best not to put off buying.

If you went for that 13" and sold your old one, worst case it should be a $450-550 upgrade and you get pretty much a new machine with a full warranty, which you can get 3 year Applecare on, which you can buy up to a year later.