Rumor: Low-cost iPhone, new iPad mini coming in August, but no 'iPhone 5S' until 2014

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A questionable new rumor claims that Apple doesn't plan to release a true successor to the iPhone 5 until 2014, instead focusing on a low-cost iPhone this year.

iPhones

The details were reported on Friday by DigiTimes, which is notorious for reporting rumors that prove incorrect, but does on occasion relay accurate claims from its supply chain sources. This time, the site claims that Apple will not release a next-generation iPhone or a new 9.7-inch iPad until early 2014.

Instead, the report claims, Apple will begin shipping a low-cost iPhone with a plastic chassis, and a next-generation iPad mini this August. Components for those new devices are allegedly expected to begin shipping in July.

It seems unlikely that Apple would hold off on releasing a new high-end iPhone model until next year, with the iPhone 5 having gone on sale last September. The iPhone is Apple's most popular ? and most profitable ? product.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    It just becomes oatmeal after a while. It's the exact same effing rumor every effing year. Why these people aren't in jail, much less fired, by now is beyond me.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    I really, really can't see how this makes sense. They're going to let their flagship phone go un-updated for 2 years? There will at least be a spec bump, which is what the s traditionally is.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    I call bull on this. Bull on the lack of an updated iPhone, bull on the plastic

What I could see is perhaps Apple being able to proudly announce that due to new techiniques they are able to drop the price of the new iPhones down and they cut all but the iPhone 5 which will be free on contract and the iPhone 5s will be $99.

The iPad mini in August only makes a little sense because it might be used at schools. Which will start in August and September in the US.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

[sarcasm] So the "surprise" Cook promised for the Fall is the company committing suicide by not upgrading it's flagship product for TWO YEARS?

Intriguing. [/sarcasm]

• Reply 5 of 6
    philuphilu Posts: 13member
    If there's one thing that I've learned about Apple rumors, it's this: once the parts start leaking, the associated rumors are true. Every rumor that has circulated that hasn't been accompanied by some spy shots of parts has proven false. 5-inch iPhone: false. Tapered body iPhone: false. iPhone mini: false. And so forth.

But with all the leaked pics of both the "5S" and its plastic sibling, this thing is launching soon.

I'd like to ask AppleInsider to start taking a pass on the info coming out of DigiTimes so as not to waste our time.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    philu wrote: »
    ...leaked pics of... ...plastic sibling...

Where?