Paperback edition of Walter Isaacon's 'Steve Jobs' coming Sept. 10 with new cover

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Walter Isaacson's best-selling biography of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs will be available in paperback with a new front cover starting Sept. 10.

Jobs

The paperback edition of Steve Jobs is currently available for preorder at Amazon. Simon & Schuster has announced that the title will become available on Sept. 10 with a new afterword.

The book will also sport a new cover, according to All Things D, featuring a younger Jobs in the same thumb-on-chin pose he had on the original hardcover title.

The paperback edition of "Steve Jobs" has been a long time coming, as the title was originally released in late 2011, soon after the Apple co-founder passed. It went on to become Amazon's best-selling book of the year.

The publisher has not revealed sales figures for the title, but it did reach sales of 380,000 copies in its first week of availability in the U.S.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    Wow this guy finds a way to add an "S" edition of everything, even after he dies. I'm interested to see what the new foreword is. I hope it's not like his "I cracked (the Apple TV)" line that doesn't seem to be coming anytime soon.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ifij775ifij775 Posts: 470member
    While I think Jobs did some amazing things, I couldn't help but think that he had some strange hang-ups in his personality.
  • Reply 3 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

While I think Jobs did some amazing things, I couldn't help but think that he had some strange hang-ups in his personality.

Yep, great men, have great faults! :)

• Reply 4 of 11
    The "Steve Jobs" book was rushed to print and needed substantial improvement. It certainly was not up to Isaacson's normal polished standards. Too bad. Perhaps the paperback version will be the polished version?
  • Reply 5 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

The "Steve Jobs" book was rushed to print and needed substantial improvement. It certainly was not up to Isaacson's normal polished standards. Too bad. Perhaps the paperback version will be the polished version?

You know, that's the impression I had when I first read it. :)

Perhaps, due to my own high expectations, but I found it a somewhat disappointing read.

• Reply 6 of 11
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

They missed an opportunity to have both photos (one front, one back). Now it just looks like "young is better".

• Reply 7 of 11
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Unlikely, unless they sell it as " the new expanded edition" or somesuch.

Anyway, I think it's important to point out for those who haven't read it that it's a thoroughly engrossing read, and required reading if you want to understand the man and the company, however imperfectly.

It sails right along, it's full of great detail, much of which you may already know, but there's nothing like a good, long biography to give you perspective. For all its flaws, it is a good biography, in my opinion.

Many, like Gruber and his friends, groused about the lack of technical detail mastery from Isaacson. I think they misunderstand the role of this particular book. It's the general-audience version, and a lot of people read it who might not have read the geek version.

It does need to be supplemented by other accounts. My nomination for juicy background would be John Markoff's What the Dormouse Said, which puts Jobs's use of psychedelics into the context of the Bay Area computer crowd of the sixties as a whole.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    That younger Jobs with the same pose is too awesome. The book reissue sounds like a movie tie-in.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Of course we did. As do we all. 

As for the book, I didn't think it was great. Isaacson really seemed to miss the essence of Jobs. 

• Reply 10 of 11
    I enjoyed the book, because I'm interested in what made Jobs, Jobs.

But (perhaps this is the danger of a autobiography/auth. biography) it lacked much objective insight, that you often get in some of the unauthorised biographies. I did find the insights, particularly, into why Disney paid so much for Pixar illuminating, if only for its singularity.

As for the man & his flaws, is that not why he his human?

I have a view that any genius/someone who makes a 'dent in the universe', is going to be severely lacking in other 'normal' practices i.e. being a friend, husband, father etc. Something has to give when you have such extraordinary focus...I look to others that I follow 'closely' as having this trait(s) - Tiger Woods & Prince.

Ultimately I'm interested in the extraordinary part, that helped them make a 'dent in the universe' not particularly if they would make a good friend, I already know how to be that.

I have also come to realise that however much I can appreciate & respect what a Jobs can do, I find myself never envying him & his life story. I am more than happy being the friend, father, husband that I am & knowing that's my life's work.

The above is not a criticism of Jobs et al, just my view on what makes a extraordinary person different to the rest of us...

I'll always be in awe of his 'dent in the universe' life & its impact on me, when I use my imac, macbook, ipad, iphone, itunes etc. This is the part of Steve Jobs I'm interested in.

• Reply 11 of 11
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

What did the author miss?