Adobe releases major update to Creative Cloud desktop apps

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Adobe on Monday updated its subscription-based professional image editing suite, bringing "hundreds" of new features to premiere offerings like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, among others.

cc

As with the suite's debut in May, files created with the updated "CC" desktop apps can be shared across platforms and the online creative community Behance via Adobe's Creative Cloud.

?We?ve added a ton of new innovation to all our CC desktop apps like Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign," said David Wadhwani, senior vice president and general manager of Digital Media at Adobe. "These apps include new features that increase productivity, streamline the effort to build mobile content and showcase some stunning new imaging and video science."

One of the release's major features is a streamlined workflow experience. The new Creative Cloud app allows users to keep files synced and organized not only locally, but across websites and mobile devices. Adobe is also integrating the Behance community with CC, offering new portfolio publishing options that let users get feedback on works in progress from the community's over 1.4 million members.

Cloud storage and syncing remain the same, with 20GB of storage for individual members that can be used to share and edit work on a number of platforms, including iOS.

In addition, Adobe is launching the Create Now: A Celebration of Creativity initiative, which will host collaborative art projects, celebrate the birthday of a "design icon" and open up a forum for Adobe users to connect and collaborate.

Adobe's Creative Cloud update is available now through the company's website, with special pricing for educators and students starting at $19.99 per month. Individual pricing for new users is $49.99 per month, while customers using Adobe CS3 or higher get a discount down to $29.99 per month. Single-app access can is also avaialable for $19.99 a month.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 75

Hello, Tallest Skil, enjoying your ban?

I see you still log in... not being able to "come back" with toxic one-liners must eat you up... 

• Reply 2 of 75
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Well, I guess this will be of some interest to those who are in a "collaborative" environment but for me these features are worthless only adding to the back end bloat. I see with some amusement that their pricing reflects just how Adobe intends to post it's next quarterly results. This monthly tax can sure make it easy for the bean counters.

Sad to see this pricing model being adopted by Adobe. They have made some top class software but this tax is the last straw - I can't see this working in the long term. People will turn away and look for alternatives. I guess I'll keep my standalone PS PR AE AI running until my machine dies. They've lost me as a customer.
    oh well,
  • Reply 3 of 75

Hey, Tallest Skil!

What will you do next?

Appeal your ban here?

Or will you pop up in another forum? 

If so, will you use the same handle, and the same obnoxious avatar?

• Reply 4 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

If they have actually added "hundreds" of features to each product (or even to them all together) then they have certainly ruined the product.  

Adobe is just ridiculous nowadays.  I'd be ashamed to work for them or be associated with them.  

• Reply 5 of 75
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil 2 View Post

Hey, Tallest Skil!

What will you do next?

Appeal your ban here?

Please take your personal business elsewhere.  I have reported your posts. 

• Reply 6 of 75
    vadaniavadania Posts: 425member

(snip)

I honestly don't know what to say.  I do not want your comments back here mixed in between some of the educated people who actually know what's going on.  

Especially if you're just going to start instigating fights for no reason.

For instance, if I have a problem with Apple this is what it looks like.

Process:         WebProcess [248]

Path:            /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/WebKit2.framework/WebProcess.app/Contents/MacOS/WebProcess

Identifier:      com.apple.WebProcess

Version:         8536 (8536.30.1)

Build Info:      WebKit2-7536030001000000~9

Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)

Parent Process:  ??? [194]

User ID:         501

Date/Time:       2013-06-18 01:23:29.546 -0400

OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8.4 (12E55)

Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:          107300 sec

Crashes Since Last Report:           3

Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  9448 sec

Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   1

Anonymous UUID:                      85BEFB75-C9AE-29C9-6G65-1206E4EF2571

Crashed Thread:  5  JavaScriptCore::Marking

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)

Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT

Application Specific Information:

Bundle controller class:

BrowserBundleController

Thread 0:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0   libsystem_kernel.dylib         0x00007fff9602d0fa __psynch_cvwait + 10

1   libsystem_c.dylib             0x00007fff92166fe9 _pthread_cond_wait + 869

2   com.apple.JavaScriptCore       0x00007fff8fe0ba72 JSC::SlotVisitor::drainFromShared(JSC::SlotVisitor::SharedDrainMode) + 370

3   com.apple.JavaScriptCore       0x00007fff8fdb5624 JSC::Heap::markRoots(bool) + 1716

4   com.apple.JavaScriptCore       0x00007fff8fdb4bf8 JSC::Heap::collect(JSC::Heap::SweepToggle) + 152

5   com.apple.JavaScriptCore       0x00007fff8fdb3a0b JSC::DefaultGCActivityCallbackPlatformData::timerDidFire(__CFRunLoopTimer*, void*) + 315

6   com.apple.CoreFoundation       0x00007fff8e094804 __CFRUNLOOP_IS_CALLING_OUT_TO_A_TIMER_CALLBACK_FUNCTION__ + 20

7   com.apple.CoreFoundation       0x00007fff8e09431d __CFRunLoopDoTimer + 557

8   com.apple.CoreFoundation       0x00007fff8e079ad9 __CFRunLoopRun + 1529

9   com.apple.CoreFoundation       0x00007fff8e0790e2 CFRunLoopRunSpecific + 290

10  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x00007fff8d82deb4 RunCurrentEventLoopInMode + 209

11  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x00007fff8d82dc52 ReceiveNextEventCommon + 356

12  com.apple.HIToolbox           0x00007fff8d82dae3 BlockUntilNextEventMatchingListInMode + 62

13  com.apple.AppKit               0x00007fff909f1533 _DPSNextEvent + 685

That's cut short.  You just have a problem with everyone here.

• Reply 7 of 75
    Interesting but couldn't really care less. Adobe move to a monthly tax was the final straw for me. I will keep using my stand alone software and slowly switch over to other options.
  • Reply 8 of 75

Quote:

Hey, Tallest Skil!

What will you do next?

Appeal your ban here?

Tallest Skil definitely had very strong opinions and was a valuable member of the community. Comments like yours however usually denote the mental capacity of a 3 year old.

• Reply 9 of 75
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 906member
    It's fascinating to see how this CC transformation is separating the wheat from the chaff! ;-)

We're in our second year of what is now CC, and we're quite pleased. Interesting coincidence with Apple's own metamorphosis out of its "big cat" naming phase with Mavericks. Can't wait to see how these new Adobe tools run in it AND on the new Mac Pro!
  • Reply 10 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

Tallest Skil definitely had very strong opinions and was a valuable member of the community. Comments like yours however usually denote the mental capacity of a 3 year old.

Imagine the nightmare of having to deal with "Tallest Skil" in real life... talk about completely absence of social skills.

In any case, that appletard is history for now.

It will be fun seeing when, where, and in what form he will reappear.

We will be waiting to expose and mock him mercilessly. ^^

South Korea FTW!

• Reply 11 of 75
    gazoobee wrote: »
    If they have actually added "hundreds" of features to each product (or even to them all together) then they have certainly ruined the product.  
    Adobe is just ridiculous nowadays.  I'd be ashamed to work for them or be associated with them.  

Yea - they lost their way ever since Ol John Warnock stepped down. I think Chizens was next - FAIL lol
  • Reply 12 of 75
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Adobe can go **** itself. I bought CS6 just a couple months ago, and it's now pretty much obsolete with no new features to be added. Disgusting. 

• Reply 13 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtensha View Post

Interesting but couldn't really care less. Adobe move to a monthly tax was the final straw for me. I will keep using my stand alone software and slowly switch over to other options.

I agree.  I'm warning people about the new 'subscription' model.

Personally, I think it's the last gasps of a dying breed.  I think Microsoft is going to find out pretty soon.  If they can pad their numbers this year from unexpected users and unaware IT people then it will be next year.

Also, since when did IT people get a huge review on this site?  They sit around and do nothing all day.  (if you are one and you don't then you're rare.  Invest well and plan for the future)  Both in corporate an scholar environments.

I'm heavily leaning against the corporate subscription model.  It's actually a more secure financial move to purchase an iWorks suite right now.  It will actually read almost all of your documents, and the few that don't seem to transition quite right need little repair work.

• Reply 14 of 75
    flabberflabber Posts: 100member

When I read "100's of new features" I automatically replaced "features" with "gimmicks". The whole CC subscription idea was already the last straw, but it really stands out how right after announcing CC, they apparently already had updates waiting to be implemented. It's as if they grab any chance to take more money out of your bank account with every new feature.

"Oh wait, we have a new feature here for you guys… BAM $10 out of your pocket"

Really Pixelmator, Sketch and other possible alternative apps. I hope you've been reading all the unhappy comments of Adobe customers, and are able to fill the gap sooner rather then later. I can't wait to not use Adobe anymore. As much as I used to love their extensive products, it just leaves a sour flavour in my mouth every time I think about CC and their pricing.

• Reply 15 of 75
    danielsw wrote: »
    It's fascinating to see how this CC transformation is separating the wheat from the chaff! ;-)

We're in our second year of what is now CC, and we're quite pleased. Interesting coincidence with Apple's own metamorphosis out of its "big cat" naming phase with Mavericks. Can't wait to see how these new Adobe tools run in it AND on the new Mac Pro!

Im not sure how you can draw a parallel between Apple's OS names and Adobe's monthly pricing - but hey why not if you think it's valid, that's all that counts, right ?
    Look, good for you and the business - great it works for you.
    Doesn't suit me and I don't believe in the model.

Wheat from chaff ? Oh, right ....paying Adobe every month will get you there.
  • Reply 16 of 75

Quote:

Imagine the nightmare of having to deal with "Tallest Skil" in real life... talk about completely absence of social skills.

In any case, that appletard is history for now.

It will be fun seeing when, where, and in what form he will reappear.

We will be waiting to expose and mock him mercilessly. ^^

South Korea FTW!

Changed my mind.

• Reply 17 of 75
    undedunded Posts: 43member
    How do you access your CC file and work on them when you stop paying Adobe's monthly "protection money?"
  • Reply 18 of 75
    unded wrote: »
    How do you access your CC file and work on them when you stop paying Adobe's monthly "protection money?"

lol

"I owe my soul to the company store ... "
    Sixteen tonnes, Tennessee Ernie Ford. 1955
    First released by the one and only Merle Travis, 1946
  • Reply 19 of 75

Quote:

Originally Posted by unDED View Post

Unless you can hack, you don't.

You have to pay them again.

• Reply 20 of 75
    For anyone using a wide range of Adobe creative softwares, Creative Cloud costs much less than an upgrade every year of even every 2 years for international customers (those European paying the Adobe Creative Suite twice the US price%u2026).

On one hand, it has been a huge win for me who do print layouts and web design with quite a few multimedia projects in between to be able to use whatever Adobe app I need at a given time.

On the other hand, it sucks to be hold by the balls, paying for softwares you don't even own%u2026 at the mercy of Adobe marketeers when they feel like to up the CC monthly price%u2026

We are severely lacking any worthy competitor in the graphic arts to end Adobe monopoly.

As for this new CC upgrade, having Indesign go Retina is enough to satisfy me. The addition of barcode editing alone will allow me to stop upgrading hugely ovepriced Barcode Producer%u2026