Apple releases iOS 7 beta 2 to developers with iPad support, new Siri voices

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released the second beta of iOS 7 for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch, arriving two weeks after the new mobile operating system was unveiled and featuring newly updated voices for Siri.

Siri

Developers testing the software can now download iOS 7 beta 2 through Software Update in the iPhone's native Settings application. Apple has said the update contains bug fixes and improvements.

Apple has also warned users that the second beta "should only be deployed on devices dedicated for iOS 7 beta software development." The prerelease software is not intended for use among the general public.

While the first iOS 7 beta was limited to iPhone and iPod touch, the new second beta also adds support for the full-size iPad and iPad mini. While iPhone and iPod touch users running beta 1 can download through Software Update, iPad users will need to upgrade from iOS 6 through iTunes on a Mac or PC.

iOS

Apple's new voices for its Siri personal assistant are included in the second beta of iOS 7. They include a more natural sounding female voice, and an entirely new male voice option for U.S. users. Apple offered a sneak peek at the new voices weeks ago, but they were not included in the first beta.

Also found in iOS 7 beta 2 is the return of the built-in Voice Memos application. Like other native iOS apps, it has been redesigned for the forthcoming software update.

In the release notes that accompanied Monday's release, Apple details a number of known issues that remain with the pre-release software.

Apple gave developers the first beta of iOS 7 two weeks ago at its annual Worldwide Developers Conference. That was also the first time the world, outside of Apple's team, got to see a major design overhaul for the platform.

For an in-depth look at iOS 7, see AppleInsider's ongoing Inside iOS 7 series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    squuiidsquuiid Posts: 58member
    Still not available on iOS Dev Center... Beta 1 was so bad I went back to iOS 6, so would like the IPSW for beta 2.
  • Reply 2 of 86
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Still buggy, Apple fails. /s

Can't wait for the official reviews of a beta.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    If installing via Software update on device, note you need >50% battery, or be plugged in to install this update (it will download, but not allow install)
  • Reply 4 of 86
    wes53wes53 Posts: 1member
    jungmark wrote: »

It's a Beta for developers. You can't expect it to be flawless when its not due for gold release until fall.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    Voice Memos app is back, new icon and interface.
  • Reply 6 of 86

Fixed a bug where some apps had wrong coloured navigation bars and toolbars.

• Reply 7 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverByThere View Post

Voice Memos app is back, new icon and interface.

Yippie!! I haven't updated to Beta 2 yet... 

• Reply 8 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    wes53 wrote: »
    You can't expect it to be flawless when its not due for gold release until fall.

You're unacquainted with the concept of sarcasm, I see. Also, no insults.
  • Reply 9 of 86
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    jungmark wrote: »

Your an idiot, it's a Beta for developers. You can't expect it to be flawless when its not due for gold release until fall.

And I didn't forget to add a /s.

Oh, welcome to the forum.
  • Reply 10 of 86
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're unacquainted with the concept of sarcasm, I see. Also, no insults.

Pot meet kettle since you posted this only yesterday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's just stupid enough to be funny.

That's just stupid.

You are just stupid.

And also blind. Reads like a poem, dunnit?

Find another company to whine about.

• Reply 11 of 86
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wes53 View Post

Your an idiot, it's a Beta for developers. You can't expect it to be flawless when its not due for gold release until fall.

I'm not going to use name calling, but the /s at the end of the post is an Internet thing to indicate the end of sarcasm.

• Reply 12 of 86
    Downloading! Would love to install it on my iPad but better wait :)
  • Reply 13 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    gwmac wrote: »
    Pot meet kettle since you posted this only yesterday.

Your sheer lack of comprehension never ceases to astound, man.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    Downloading! Would love to install it on my iPad but better wait :)

I have several iPads for development... I am downloading the various updates now!

If it works OK, I'll give whatever heads-up is permitted by the NDA.

What specific model of iPad do you have (and carrier if cell radio)...

If you email all the others who are downloading and tell them to pause -- it will make my download go faster & I can give the heads-up sooner ;)
  • Reply 15 of 86

Google+ now works, not sure if it's related, but I classed it as a high profile app that crashed on iOS7. For me at least, Instagram will not let me post a picture on iOS7 (beta 2) still.

Edit: never mind, still crashes pretty much at launch.

• Reply 16 of 86
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Odd, The release notes indicate that the voice memo app isn't included, but it's there.

The release notes only note known issues. No issues on what B2 fixes.
  • Reply 17 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Your sheer lack of comprehension never ceases to astound, man.

You go girl.  Get it.

• Reply 18 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Odd, The release notes indicate that the voice memo app isn't included, but it's there.

The release notes only note known issues. No issues on what B2 fixes.

Sounds like you answered your own question-- they're release notes from the first beta......

• Reply 19 of 86
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    It's a Beta for developers. You can't expect it to be flawless when its not due for gold release until fall.

Welcome to the Internet.

[VIDEO]

I have several iPads for development... I am downloading the various updates now!

If it works OK, I'll give whatever heads-up is permitted by the NDA.

What specific model of iPad do you have (and carrier if cell radio)...

If you email all the others who are downloading and tell them to pause -- it will make my download go faster & I can give the heads-up sooner ;)

I am in England visting Big Ben. I was able to download the update in less than three seconds.
  • Reply 20 of 86
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    It looks like Apple is going to try and maintain a 2-week seed cycle... I like that!

I was/am hoping for an OSX Mavericks update too. I am running my main Mac with the preview release -- few problems, runs fast and cool (App Nap) Maps is awesome!

I haven't done a lot with iOS7 (old eyes and fat fingers) -- but now that it's available on the iPads...[B][I] Rowdy Dow![/I][/B]