Microsoft to bring 'Age of Empires' to iOS, more titles may follow

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft is planning to bring a number of its PC gaming titles to Apple's iOS and Google's Android mobile platforms, with "Age of Empires" already confirmed to be the first of a possible series of ports.

Microsoft Studios

A report from Japan's Nikkei daily said the Redmond tech giant recently formed a partnership with mobile developer KLab, which has licensed at least one game, Age of Empires, for global release sometime in 2013, reports Reuters.

Microsoft may not bring its entire catalog to mobile, however, as the company told The Verge "some reports included incorrect information about additional Xbox Live-based games on iOS and Android but there are no further announcements beyond Age of Empires at this time."

KLab isn't a well-known developer and has only a handful of games to its name, the biggest being Gigabot Wars and Lord of the Dragons.

It is suspected that Microsoft is looking to leverage older or otherwise low-performing games for a bit of extra profit by going through a third-party developer. The Windows maker has already published a few mobile-centric games for iOS, including Ms Splosion Man and Tentacles: Enter the Dolphin, the latter of which was an App Store Editors' Choice pick.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    customtbcustomtb Posts: 346member

So Microsoft is bring a major title to iOS and Android before Windows phone? 

• Reply 2 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

It's been a long time since I last played AOE, but I wouldn't mind having AOE II on iPad. And I specifically mean number two, because AOE II is the only true classic and it's easily the best one out of the series. I don't know about the IAP crap though. I'd rather pay a set amount upfront.

I used to play AOE II on Gameranger a long time ago, and back then I remember joining multiplayer games with a group of regulars. They were reliable players (not douchebags and unreliable people who would quit or drop from a game) and the game could go on for hours and hours and last all night. Truly epic battles! 4 plyrs VS 4 plyrs.

• Reply 3 of 20
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

One word: Respect!

• Reply 4 of 20
    konqerrorkonqerror Posts: 685member

Are you sure it won't be part of "Xbox 365", requiring a $99/year subscription?

• Reply 5 of 20
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Quote:

Originally Posted by konqerror View Post

Are you sure it won't be part of "Xbox 365", requiring a $99/year subscription?

Mmmm. Hadn't thought of that. 

• Reply 6 of 20
    I've often wondered why Blizzard hasn't ported the original Diablo, Starcraft, and Warcraft I/II series to iOS. Seems like they would be perfect for it and would net them some tidy profit.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Goldenclaw View Post

I've often wondered why Blizzard hasn't ported the original Diablo, Starcraft, and Warcraft I/II series to iOS. Seems like they would be perfect for it and would net them some tidy profit.

It takes Blizzard years to do anything.  Could well be on their way.

• Reply 8 of 20
    smiffy31smiffy31 Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

It takes Blizzard years to do anything.  Could well be on their way.

I believe a lot of their interface uses the LUA programming language which if true would not be allowed on the App store.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    cyniccynic Posts: 124member

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

I believe a lot of their interface uses the LUA programming language which if true would not be allowed on the App store.

This is no longer correct. It is true, that an older policy banned any kind of use of interpreted code (such as produced by LUA and other scripting languages).

However, this policy has been changed quite a while ago, back in 2010 for iOS 4.0 if I recall correctly.

Use of interpreted code and therefore scripting languages is allowed now, as long as all the interpreted code is part of the application bundle and not downloaded or otherwise shared through the app at a later stage.

• Reply 10 of 20
    skyzlmtskyzlmt Posts: 46member

Quote:

Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post

At least two mobile game platforms supporting iOS offer Lua...  Corona and Marmalade.

• Reply 11 of 20
    notscottnotscott Posts: 247member
    confirmed to be a possibility. awesome.
  • Reply 12 of 20
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Loved that game. Would be great to replay it on my ipad.

• Reply 13 of 20
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Having no idea what "Age of Empires" is, I went to their site and watched the trailers.  

a few things I noticed:

- there are over 15 close-ups of deliberately penis shaped objects in the first trailer.  Freud would have a field day. 

- all three trailers contain the most horrific violence, but all the blood has been removed so "kids can play" them.  

- there is only one female that appears for a brief second or two in the last frames of the third trailer (the "head guy's girlfriend")

conclusion: 

- sexist, censored bullshit with a bad message for kids

• Reply 14 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Having no idea what "Age of Empires" is, I went to their site and watched the trailers.  

a few things I noticed:

- there are over 15 close-ups of deliberately penis shaped objects in the first trailer.  Freud would have a field day. 

- all three trailers contain the most horrific violence, but all the blood has been removed so "kids can play" them.  

- there is only one female that appears for a brief second or two in the last frames of the third trailer (the "head guy's girlfriend")

conclusion: 

So if it wasn't censored, it would be a better message for kids? Did you have a bad couple of days? I've never seen you rant this much after just reading your Mavericks love tirade and then this.

• Reply 15 of 20
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Age of Empires II was a fun game... there was a remastered/HD version of it released earlier this year on PC. Crimson Skies was another good game MS Studios did.

• Reply 16 of 20
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    gazoobee wrote: »

a few things I noticed:

conclusion: 

What is with you today? It is a game that a lot of people seem to enjoy. An escape from reality for a little while. Get off your high horse.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

a few things I noticed:

conclusion: 

AOE is one of the best RTS games of all time. You must have been living under a rock for at least a decade.

Penis shaped, blood, violence, sexist?image

You've got some serious issues dude, if you're a dude. image

• Reply 18 of 20
    murmanmurman Posts: 159member

This is an old game, so old I think using Safari might drain more power than running this game. It was a great game at the time though, wonder if it holds up for new players.

• Reply 19 of 20
    If this truly happens and it is not an AOE III or later I fear I will never get anything productive done on my iPad.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    If this truly happens and it is not an AOE III or later I fear I will never get anything productive done on my iPad.