Beachball in Finder with large files

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey guys and gals. I have read lots of reports of the finder being slow in OSX but I think my problem might be worse than most. Whenever I click on a file that is large, say over 50 or 60 megs, the finder just stops up to minutes at a time. I am not opening it, just clicking on it with my mouse. In the preview pane, I have it so that the video does not display. This is a really big problem because I am practically unable to open any large files. Any ideas?

Oh ya, I am on a new TiBook 1ghz with a gig of Ram, running OSX 10.23. Thanks again.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    do you still have this problem with 10.2.4 ?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by Defiant:

<strong>do you still have this problem with 10.2.4 ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

yes, the problem still persists. I think that it *might* be a little bit better, but it may just be my imagination.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    [edit: nevermind]

[ 02-17-2003: Message edited by: Flick Justice ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    quaremquarem Posts: 254member
    I have a similar problem, but it's only bothersome for larger movie files ( &gt;1 GB). An easy solution is to work in List or Icon view when you are working with these files. Or if you still want to work in Column View, goto View Options and turn off the Preview column entirely.

The hang seems to happen because the Finder is reading the file to produce the Preview, and it grabs same information from the file even when the Preview is turned off: if the Preview column is there, it will lag.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Great, thanks. I turned off the preview column and things seem to be fine now. I probably should have figured that out myself, but this is my first Mac, so I'm still learning. What I did like about the columv view is that it tells you the file size right away, but I can live without that if the finder works more efficiently. I appreciate the help. Thanks.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Hey no problem, I had actually forgotten about turning off the Preview column unil I read your thread.

If you want the sizes of files right away you can use List view and set it up, in View Options. to calculate file sizes on the fly. This might be a littile less laggy than the column view.

The Finder is just a part OS X that needs a lot more work. I hope you are enjoying your mac.