Cases for new MacBook Air

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014

Hello there

I have purchased a new 13" macbook air and need advice on cases.  I am looking for a hardshell case, (preferably a clear one) that is a nice quality.

The problem I am having is that the apple store and even best buy are assuring me that the previous cases for the MacBook Air will work on the new version because all of the dimensions are the same. They have stated that they do not forsee a lot of new cases coming out for that exact reason.  I do not see how this can be correct however, as the new MacBook Air has two microphones vs the single one from the previous versions.  I even purchased a speck case (not the best quality) and it covered one of the two microphones.  When I pointed this out to the apple store they state it should not affect the performance of the machine.

1)  Could they be correct that covering one of the mics would not affect performance?

2)  Do you know if the heat venting on the machine changed or if the venting is in the same position?

3)  Does anyone have any input on if they have seen a new case come out or have a suggestion on cases?

4)  If I was to buy a case that was not a hardshell that had the air sit on a "soft interior" does that affect the heat dispersion?

Thanks in advance for any advice and assistance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member

After seeing the new machines firsthand, the additional mic seems to be the only discernible external change.

If you're concerned about the additional mic being covered, it might be a good idea to contact a the manufacturers of the cases you're interested and getting info from them on whether they'll be releasing revised cases. They may be planning revisions so that all their forthcoming cases will have cutouts for the second mic (then again maybe not).

On the other hand, you could always go with an existing case, mark it with a sharpie and drill a small hole (a dremel or other rotary tool would be a good choice for this) where the second mic resides. On a clear case this shouldn't be hard to do in a relatively clean manner as long as some care is exercised.

• Reply 2 of 8
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

I use a Bookbook.

• Reply 3 of 8
    abirozyabirozy Posts: 44member

Relic

I have been looking at the Bookbook case.  How do you like it?  Do you notice any heat issues with it, and do you use it like a cover or like a sleeve? How is the protection?

• Reply 4 of 8
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by abirozy View Post

Relic

I have been looking at the Bookbook case.  How do you like it?  Do you notice any heat issues with it, and do you use it like a cover or like a sleeve? How is the protection?

I love it, it fools a lot of people, I'm always asked, "whatcha reading". I haven't noticed any heat issues, maybe if I played Halo for a few hours but so far so good, if you notice the zipper part it's cloth so it breathes. I kind of use it as both a cover and a sleeve as you can see in the photo below;

The upper and bottom part is very hard, it's well built and can take a licking, I recommend them, I also have one for my iPad.

To be honest I was looking at the girls belt more then I was at the Bookbook case. It's so cute, I have the perfect dress for it. Reason number 120 why woman shouldn't post in tech forums. image

• Reply 5 of 8
    1. Covering a mic is never good but curios where is the new mic located?
    2.ventilation system is the same case shouldn't make much of a diff
    3. I got mine at [URL=http://prettyapples.com]www.prettyapples.com[/URL] and it's awesome no complaints
    4. My pops has the book book and he has no issues not to my knowledge at least on his 15" pro but heat wise the vents are on the back of the bottom Mac shell so I imagine it makes everything a bit warmer compared to my hard shell case

Good luck
  • Reply 6 of 8
    mmanymmany Posts: 1member

a case is needed to protect the device

• Reply 7 of 8

I like using a sleeve for my Macbook. I feel like it offers the best protection while I am on the go (assuming you don't drop it while putting it in the sleeve!) image

Using the G- Form Sleeve and loving it! Anyone else tried one?

• Reply 8 of 8

As far as fooling people goes, I'd just use a plain (not leather) manila envelope with a string closure. Done. 50¢.