Apple applauds US Supreme Court decisions on same-sex marriage

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Following a pair of landmark decisions by the U.S. Supreme Court on Wednesday in favor of same-sex marriages, Apple issued a statement celebrating the ruling.

?Apple strongly supports marriage equality and we consider it a civil rights issue," the company said in a statement to AllThingsD. "We applaud the Supreme Court for its decisions today."

The court voted 5-4 to throw out part of DOMA that prevented a number of federal benefits to same-sex couples. In another 5-4 decision, the high court also paved the way for gays and lesbians to marry once again in California, Apple's home state.

Earlier this year, Apple joined a coalition of U.S. corporations in support of same-sex marriage in an effort to sway the court. Other companies in the group included Facebook, Intel, and Morgan Stanley.

The companies banded together in response to California's passage of Proposition 8, a 2008 voter initiative that banned gay marriage. That same year, Apple donated $100,000 to the "No on 8" campaign.

Google

Google on Wednesday also celebrated the decision by covering its search box in rainbow colors when users search terms such as "gay," "lesbian," or "bisexual." A rainbow-colored flag has been used as part of gay rights advocacy since it originated in California in the 1970s.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 164

Good on Apple

• Reply 2 of 164
    I guess I don't have to agree with apple on everything to buy its products
  • Reply 3 of 164
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    Great job Apple and also to the SCOTUS for doing their job.
  • Reply 4 of 164
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    This thread could go south anytime.
  • Reply 5 of 164
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

So just to be sure I have my facts straight, gay marriage is still not legal on the Federal level, and it's still up to the states themselves to decide if they recognize gay married couples or not, correct?

What is everyone getting so excited about, exactly, and how long does Obama think this distraction will last before another scandal blows up in his face?

Sorry, I'm waiting for the whole cake. Too old to be celebrating over crumbs.

• Reply 6 of 164
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Why is Apple commenting on this?

Apple should stay out of politics.

Is Apple going to comment on gun control also and other issues? And why not?

• Reply 7 of 164
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member
    So much for ComiXology saying Apple is an anti-gay censor because ComiXology themselves decided not to publish a comic depicting gay sex through the Apple store. It could not possibly have anything to do with Apple's clear published policy against sexually explicit images.
  • Reply 8 of 164
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

This thread could go south anytime.

That's where they serve the Chick-fil-a.

• Reply 9 of 164
    gordiogordio Posts: 69member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Tim Cook *is* the most powerful gay man in the world.  It would be bizarre if Apple didn't give their reaction to this.

• Reply 10 of 164
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordio View Post

Tim Cook *is* the most powerful gay man in the world.  It would be bizarre if Apple didn't give their reaction to this.

True.

• Reply 11 of 164
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Yeah, I know that Tim Cook is gay, but so what? I don't care what he is.

His personal preferences or personal life should not be a part of Apple's official policies, in my opinion.

• Reply 12 of 164
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Good on Apple for taking a stand on I consider a human rights issue. Cue all the Apple fans who like the idea of Thinking Different but just cannot bring themselves to actually do so.

• Reply 13 of 164
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member

Quote:

Whether Cook is gay or not is nothing more than tawdry gossip.  It is pretty poor form for a rag like Gawker to out him when he clearly does not want that part of his life in the public spotlight, IMO.  And other companies, including Google and Microsoft, have come out in favor of gay rights without having (supposedly) gay CEOs.  

• Reply 14 of 164
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member

It's relevant for a global corporation to want each country it does business in to have laws that will not negatively effect the family life of anyone they want to hire. DOMA denied federal benefits to same-sex married couples.

• Reply 15 of 164
    bigmc6000bigmc6000 Posts: 767member

Really? "Human rights"?  The "right" to pay more taxes?  The "right" to... what exactly?  No where in any part of the US Constitution does it say marriage is a "right" nor should they be involved in what the definition of marriage is in the first place.

• Reply 16 of 164
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    apple ][ wrote: »

Apple must think it's good business. Seems like good business in California. Did they not already offer equal benefits? If so, won't this level the field and be in their favor?
  • Reply 17 of 164
    I guess I don't have to agree with apple on everything to buy its products

It's irrelevant. I ain't electing them to public office. I just want awesome computers.
  • Reply 18 of 164
    shadashshadash Posts: 470member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

Really? "Human rights"?  The "right" to pay more taxes?  The "right" to... what exactly?  No where in any part of the US Constitution does it say marriage is a "right" nor should they be involved in what the definition of marriage is in the first place.

The 14th Amendment guarantees "equal protection of the laws."  Look it up.  

• Reply 19 of 164
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigmc6000 View Post

You know, equal rights, discrimination... that kind of stuff. I consider it a human right to be treated equally by the state and not discriminated against for reasons of gender, race, sexual orientation, religion etc. Prejudice and bigotry has no place in a civilized society. Anyway, I always expect people who subscribe to the 'think different' idea to be completely on board. I am always a little surprised when I am reminded it ain't so.

• Reply 20 of 164
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

This is sick! Human rights my ass! Think different? WTF? Why not eat dead human flesh then? They are dead, they don't feel anything, they don't have "rights"! Right? Dead people don't have rights! So, let's eat them! Think different!!!