iMac boot problem

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have an iMac, running OS X 10.2.3. Currently, when I boot up my Mac it appears to get stuck on the gray Apple logo screen with that dash circle going around and around. If I hold down the power it will shut down, after several attempts it will boot. However, a lot slower then normally . If I reboot after this it will be fine. This problem doesn't appear to follow a pattern. Like this time it cold booted fine. I have ran repair disk and repair permissions no problems. I thought that this was directly connected with the Safari update (2-13-03), because this problem happened first after I rebooted from installing the update, but I was told that it is most likely not related. All I have connected to my computer is my cable modem(ether net) and my HP Deskjet 932C printer(USB) which have been there. I must say that I have Norton Anti-Virus 8.0 installed, but it has never acted up before, and I installed along time ago. This just started yesterday directly after I rebooted from installing the Safari update. Thanks, please help! I am going crazy here...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Sounds like it's running a fsck: I'd advise you to just leave the machine to it. It may reboot a few times, but then it should clear up and not happen again.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    next time that happens, i am going to let it go. Thanks! Brad, was saying, that since I shut i down at night, that it doesn't get a chance to the 3:00 a.m. system fixes. I will let u know...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Overhope:

<strong>Sounds like it's running a fsck:</strong><hr></blockquote>

By the way, what is fsck, I thought you had to tell it to run?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Man 020581:

<strong>

By the way, what is fsck, I thought you had to tell it to run?</strong><hr></blockquote>

"fsck" stands for "filesystem check". It's like Windows' "scandisk" or "chkdsk" -- it verifies the filesystem on your hard disk(s). You can manually invoke it yourself, but if your computer shuts down unexpectedly, it may launch itself during startup.