Purported 'iPhone Lite' rear panels show an array of colors

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
New pictures appear to show plastic back panels for Apple's anticipated low-cost iPhone, displayed in bright colors that are a major shift from the current black and white models.

iPhone Lite

The image shared by Nowherelse.fr appears to show the back panels in yellow, green and red. The parts include the iPhone brand, Apple's logo, and space for a camera lens, LED flash, and rear-facing microphone.

Aside from being made of plastic and offering new colors, the parts appear to have a similar form factor to the current iPhone 5, including a taller display than previous models. That fits in with rumors that the so-called "iPhone Lite" will stick with the same 4-inch display as the iPhone 5.

iPhone Lite

The design also matches up with leaked schematics provided to AppleInsider that claim to reveal the design of Apple's low-cost iPhone. The device is expected to have rounded corners and a design slightly thicker than the iPhone 5.

iPhone Lite

The red and yellow colors pictured would correspond with current color options for the iPod touch, though Apple does not offer a green model at the moment. Apple does offer green variants of the iPod nano and iPod shuffle, however.

Other possible color options were detailed in a report in May that claimed the new low-end iPhone will come in navy, gold, orange, white, and gray.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 129
    jpvnjpvn Posts: 40member
    Apple would never use colors like that.
  • Reply 2 of 129
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    I predict iPod touch colors. But colors nonetheless.

This will essentially be the iPod mini to the iPhone. I also think it will come in one config (16GB).
  • Reply 3 of 129
    ealvarezealvarez Posts: 88member
    The green is not so bad ;) But, as with many rumours, "wait and see" :)
  • Reply 4 of 129
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    IF this is the low cost iPhone it better be priced cheap as it certainly looks cheap. How is it that they can make beautiful iPod touches and these look so crappy? I hope this isn't true an these are some crap Chinese knockoffs.
  • Reply 5 of 129

If the back of those phones are matte and possibly rubbery these could be a hit with the soccer moms/kids who drop it all the time. Bit weird that Apple would deviate from being a premium brand though.

• Reply 6 of 129
    starbird73starbird73 Posts: 538member
    Well, I know they aren't "finished" as they need a lot of country specific info, bit wouldn't the red at least be the color of, and have the logo of, the Product (Red) products?
  • Reply 7 of 129
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    If the back of those phones are matte and possibly rubbery these could be a hit with the soccer moms/kids who drop it all the time. Bit weird that Apple would deviate from being a premium brand though.

Ya- matte wouldn't be bad- but these definitely aren't good. Definite wait and see here. I highly doubt they're real. The iPod touch colors are beautiful- but also aluminum.
  • Reply 8 of 129
    bizzarebizzare Posts: 62member
    It's time to open a new site, googleinsider.
  • Reply 9 of 129
    blackbookblackbook Posts: 1,361member

FAKE!

Why are you posting these terrible pictures AI?

There is no way in hell Apple would ever make a product that looks remotely like these so called "iPhone Lites"

• Reply 10 of 129
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpvn View Post

Apple would never use colors like that.

Hmmm well, I thought that until iOS7.

• Reply 11 of 129
    This is a done deal people. Deal w it. And FYI most of you will never see them in person since they're heading for emerging markets.
  • Reply 12 of 129

Fake looking. Neon lime green? Please.

• Reply 13 of 129
    Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave if this is true. Tim Cook is definetely taking Apple to another way that is not part of Job's Philosophy.
  • Reply 14 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave if this is true. Tim Cook is definetely taking Apple to another way that is not part of Job's culture.

Steve is not rolling in his grave because this is not what the low cost iPhone will look like.

I remember in one of Steve's first interviews after the iPhone 1 was announced for $499, he said that he wished he could price the phone at $99 and get it into everyones hands because it was such an amazing experience. An "iPhone for everyone" has probably always been in Steve's heart and has probably always been in Apple's plans.

• Reply 15 of 129
    rtd2870rtd2870 Posts: 10member
    I got a good laugh. These aren't real. Maybe in bootleg China
  • Reply 16 of 129
    atashiatashi Posts: 59member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Fake looking. Neon lime green? Please.

I remember when the iBook first came out. I got one of the neon lime green ones. It was fun at the time.

• Reply 17 of 129
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Just because we don't like something doesn't mean it's not real. I hope these are fake or just prototypes that won't ever see the light of day but who knows. If they are for real the better be priced super cheap cuz that's how they look.
  • Reply 18 of 129

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just because we don't like something doesn't mean it's not real. I hope these are fake or just prototypes that won't ever see the light of day but who knows. If they are for real the better be priced super cheap cuz that's how they look.

Even if they look cheap the internal components cost as much as the iPhone 5. 

There is no way Apple prices these lower than $399 and likewise there is no way anyone would buy them if they look this ugly at that price.

That's why these are probably prototype chassises or Chinese fakes. No way in hell these are real.

• Reply 19 of 129
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    xtacee1990 wrote: »
    This is a done deal people. Deal w it. .

Hardly. It's not a done deal until Tim and Friends announce it.
  • Reply 20 of 129
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    maclancer wrote: »
    Steve Jobs is probably rolling in his grave if this is true. Tim Cook is definetely taking Apple to another way that is not part of Job's Philosophy.

Nope. Steve gave Tim his blessing not to ever ask 'what would Steve do' and to take the company wherever Tim feels is the right place.

So he would only be rolling in his grave if Tim did ask that question.