Microsoft updates OneNote for iOS with more consistent syncing, iPhone 5 display support

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Microsoft on Monday rolled out OneNote version 2.0, bringing some much needed changes to the note-taking and managaments app, including a consistent experience across multiple platforms and enhanced rich text formatting.

OneNote

The latest OneNote fixes several issues that users were seeing when attempting to sync data via Microsoft's SkyDrive cloud computing service, one of the major features of the app created to work on Windows Phone, iOS and Android devices.

In addition, with version 2.0, Microsoft has improved rich text formatting and "Ink annotations" viewing for iOS devices. Tables can also be inserted into files, and users can now edit existing tables created on another device.

Finally, the app has been optimized to take advantage of the 4-inch Retina display found on Apple's iPhone 5.

OneNote for iOS is free to download from the App Store, and the 500-note limit imposed on older versions of the software has been lifted. Microsoft cautions existing users to back up their data before upgrading to the latest version.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I would really like to see much more integration between Microsoft & Apple
  • Reply 2 of 11
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,853member
    Why? they are competitors!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    Ugh, and the app got bloated from 5MB to 256MB.
    Can anyone tell what little increase in functionality mandates a 50-fold (not 50%) increase in the size of the app?
    Does M$ try to make the available storage on iOS devices as puny as on their own tablets by installing an entire Win8 subsystem or something? This is a ridiculous size for anything but a media app that comes with lots of media clips and samples.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    techguy911techguy911 Posts: 269member

All apps are required to support the iPhone 5 screen now, even for updates.  Annoying when you just need to put a quick bug fix or tweak in.

• Reply 5 of 11
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    rcfa wrote: »
    Ugh, and the app got bloated from 5MB to 256MB.
    Can anyone tell what little increase in functionality mandates a 50-fold (not 50%) increase in the size of the app?
    Does M$ try to make the available storage on iOS devices as puny as on their own tablets by installing an entire Win8 subsystem or something? This is a ridiculous size for anything but a media app that comes with lots of media clips and samples.

Holy crap! I just noticed that too! All for a note-taking app? No thanks, I'll stick to evernote.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    asterionasterion Posts: 112member
    How does OneNote compare to Evernote? I'm debating which 'note' app to adopt across my IOS / OSX devices.
    Thanks.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    eglasheeneglasheen Posts: 45member

OneNote syncs with SkyDrive perfectly. Since I make my living developing on Microsoft platforms, my dev notes are always available and updated regardless of platform I am on, including the OneNote web app. In my opinion OneNote is superior to EverNote in many ways. It really comes down to my personal preference and desire to have synergy with MS Office. As far as the "bloat", Keynote on iPad starts at 360MB. I do not see a problem with the extra MBs, especially with the functionally this update brings.

Ed

• Reply 8 of 11
    rcfarcfa Posts: 1,124member
    eglasheen wrote: »
    OneNote syncs with SkyDrive perfectly. Since I make my living developing on Microsoft platforms, my dev notes are always available and updated regardless of platform I am on, including the OneNote web app. In my opinion OneNote is superior to EverNote in many ways. It really comes down to my personal preference and desire to have synergy with MS Office. As far as the "bloat", Keynote on iPad starts at 360MB. I do not see a problem with the extra MBs, especially with the functionally this update brings.

Ed

The difference is that Keynote's 360MB are mostly *templates* with graphics, backgrounds and wallpapers, it's not the size of the app.
    Actually, seeing that I have my jailbroken iPhone handy: the actual size of the Keynote application is 23.7MB, the rest is templates.

More importantly: the upgrade only listed a few relatively small items as being new and improved over the previous version, but the size of the app increased from 5.2MB to well over 250MB. Not sure how much of that is the App, and how much other crap, because I don't have the need to install the app. Deleted OneNote a while ago from my phone, but it's still in my iTunes library, hence I see the size of the download, and the size of the old version which ends up in my trash can.

The issue is not the size per se, but the lack of explanation for this size increase. If the size increase comes with a "1000 new note templates added" in the release notes, I may wonder what I need all these templates for, but I'd have an idea where the size increase comes from. But if I don't see anything like that, then I get the feeling that they just decided to put an entire cross-platform library/runtime environment there, so they don't actually have to write and maintain a truly native app, which is the main reason most multi-platform apps suck: they are not based on a shared data model, and then are independently developed as native apps for each platform, but instead they are some LCD crap, with a somewhat native GUI slapped on top at the last moment.

Not saying M$ did this here, but devices with rather limited storage (8-128GB) can't just waste a quarter gigabyte for nonsense.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    eglasheeneglasheen Posts: 45member
    It's obviously not a small update, but a complete redesign. I have no issue with the application size. In fact I still think it is relatively small. For me, it is the best note taking app available.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    MS for work & Apple for my real life :)
  • Reply 11 of 11
    The 250 MB app bloat is an example of how poor requirements result in poor software. The entire premise of "a consistent experience across multiple platforms" is misguided. Not many people use both the iOS and Android ecosystems, leaving little value in having consistency between those platforms. The native apps have inherent differences, which should be exploited so that an iOS app feels like iOS and an Android app feels like Android. Consistency *with the platform* is important, not consistency *between platforms*.

The cost of the bloat it not just the wasted space. Worse is the slowness. It's fitting that the screenshots above are of the splash screens, since you'll get lots of time to look at them. On iOS OneNote takes not a second or two to load, as you'd expect, but 10 to 20 seconds while the device reads the hundreds of megabytes of bloat from flash.