AT&T expands 4G LTE connectivity to 35 new markets

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
AT&T-based iPhone 5 and LTE-enabled iPad users in 35 more markets will now be able to access higher data speeds on their devices, as the carrier announced that it was bringing its 4G LTE service online in a range of new places across the U.S.

4g

The carrier announced the 4G LTE expansion on Tuesday, bringing higher data speeds to markets from the Virgin Islands to Texas to Massachusetts. The latest rollout is a continuation of AT&T's bid to expand 4G LTE coverage to 79 new markets through this summer.

AT&T's 4G LTE network provides data speeds up to 10 times faster than 3G. In recent tests, PC World found AT&T's network, which covers 288 million people across the United States, to be the fastest among all providers in terms of download speeds.

The markets now able to access 4G LTE connections are as follows:
  • St. Thomas, Virgin Islands
  • Victoria, Texas
  • Palatka, Fla.
  • Grand Junction, Colo.
  • Morgan City, La.
  • Valdosta, Ga.
  • Pine Bluff, Ark.
  • Yakima, Wash.
  • Bremerton, Wash.
  • Moses Lake, Wash.
  • Silverthorne, Colo.
  • Homosassa Springs, Fla.
  • Chico, Calif.
  • Cape Girardeau, Mo.
  • Sherman-Denison, Texas
  • Corinth, Miss.
  • Grenada, Miss.
  • Batavia, N.Y.
  • Milledgeville , Ga.
  • New Ulm, Minn.
  • Beckley, W.V.
  • Oak Hill, W.V.
  • Midland, Texas
  • Odessa, Texas
  • Lawton, Okla.
  • Cape Cod, Mass.
  • Searcy, Ark.
  • Dunn, N.C.
  • Dillon, S.C.
  • St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands
  • Lafayette, La.
  • Atlantic City, N.J.
  • Meridian, Miss.
  • Greenwood, Miss.
  • New Iberia, La.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Is this an American thing; to call cities/areas 'markets'? When talking about (LTE) coverage, I would presume the wording is not fitting, but I'd like to understand.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member

Analysts/pundits downgrade Apple stock to SELL due to it not being the 23 markets they had predicted. "By exceeding our initial projections, Apple has once again made us look like chumps and idiots, and we, in turn, need to respond irrationally to their corporate malfeasance," said Short Sell Stock, Inc. CEO Schlubby P. Moneybags. 

• Reply 3 of 25
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Seriously? Moses Hole gets lit up before Spokane? I understand the scale is vastly smaller, but come on. Get them both in place and then light up the tree.
  • Reply 4 of 25
    I really wish they would either alphabetize the list of cities or group them by state or alphabetize the cities and then group them by state.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    superjunaidsuperjunaid Posts: 104member
    Nice good expanding network. I'm happy to get 30-35Mbps download in my little town in Colorado.
  • Reply 6 of 25
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Seriously? Moses Hole gets lit up before Spokane? I understand the scale is vastly smaller, but come on. Get them both in place and then light up the tree.

You already answered your own question. Small towns might only have a few or even just one tower so the transition is very quick and easy. Big citieis can have hundreds of towers which takes a massive amount of time. It also depends on regulations. Small towns typically will push through all the red tape necessary to do changes on base stations very quickly and you have fewer interested parties you have to deal with. In bigger cities there is a mountain of paperwork and approvals you have to get done before the crew can step foot on the base station by comparison and that is for each and every tower. Why let crews sit idle doing nothing in Spokane waiting for approval while Moses Hole is ready to be upgraded. All the carriers face the same dilemma which is why you see so many small towns getting LTE on all carriers before larger ones. 

• Reply 7 of 25
    theothergeofftheothergeoff Posts: 2,081member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Scale is smaller, and there are a few notable corporations/Defense/Military orgs that are there that have mobile workforces...  ATT loves to keep the DoD and Boeing considering ATT a preferred vendor, driving corporate sales to 

New Ulm is in the middle of nowhere, maybe a 8 stoplight town, no interstate corridor or anything...  But it is the current home of Grain Belt Beer at the Schell's Brewery... and the spiritual center for german polkas in the U.S....  so beer drinkers must need a lot of mobile 'Gs'

-ToG

• Reply 8 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by realjustinlong View Post

I really wish they would either alphabetize the list of cities or group them by state or alphabetize the cities and then group them by state.

I really wish they would use standard abbreviations for the states, and not have "La." and "N.J." and "Texas" and "Miss." and "Ark." and "Calif." and "Fla." and "Virgin Islands" all in the same listing.  Really!  Some with two letter abbreviations, some with three, or four, or completely spelled out.  Terrible editing.

Maybe this will help: https://www.usps.com/send/official-abbreviations.htm

• Reply 9 of 25
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    Do we not know how to abbreviate states anymore? "Colo"? "Calif"? Really?
  • Reply 10 of 25
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Is this an American thing; to call cities/areas 'markets'? When talking about (LTE) coverage, I would presume the wording is not fitting, but I'd like to understand.

When talking in commercial terms, yes it's customary. One should also remember that in much of the US the distances between population centres are such that even 3G data coverage is often not continuous, so there are indeed fairly distinct markets.

When I bought my iPhone 3G there wasn't yet any 3G data coverage in the midwest city where I live, and in the countryside around there was no data coverage at all. Then we got 3G, with EDGE in the rural areas. Now we have LTE (and yes, it's really nice!), but with 3G outside the city.

• Reply 11 of 25
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Moses Lake of course gets it because all Boeing jets test pilot out of there and the BMW iSeries carbon fiber plant has gone on-line.

Ironically, just as Spokane is finally moving to LTE CenturyLink is picking up the commitment that Qwest dropped by laying fiber around the South Hill, North Side and throughout the business corridor, all at the same time the city's aging sewer system is being gutted in sections.

• Reply 12 of 25
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    larrya wrote: »
    Do we not know how to abbreviate states anymore? "Colo"? "Calif"? Really?

I don't know if AI copy/pastes that from a list somewhere or writes it themselves, but whoever creates it is a complete idiot. It happens every single time. :no:
  • Reply 13 of 25
    curtis hannahcurtis hannah Posts: 1,833member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Should be only for major city's (massive size that there are only about 4-5 in Texas but 0 in other states) but now every little city is almost included must be "American" I do now have to say with AT&T covers same percentage of LTE as hspa+ and for now is quite good for 2013 vs just over a year of apple having LTE devices.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Unfortunately, AT&Ts building penetration is pretty poor.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    flippyscflippysc Posts: 34member

For the past month my iPhone 5 gets LTE on ATT's network in the middle of nowhere -- which is somewhere halfway between Moline and Peoria.

• Reply 16 of 25

That's my city! The beer is quite good ... and it is nice to have LTE in the area. Verizon just flipped the switch not even a month ago and AT&T was not far behind.

• Reply 17 of 25
    fithianfithian Posts: 82member
    Two miles outside the city, no LTE. Continuous coverage coming soon? How about some LTE maps to show coverage near cities, so I can choose between ATT, VZ? I guess ATT doesn't want us to know that VZ has better coverage right now. How's that T-Mobile merger working out for you, ATT?
  • Reply 18 of 25
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

Still waiting for LTE in my previously announced city. Most days, I can drive around all day and be stuck on Edge.

macinthe408 View Post

Analysts/pundits downgrade Apple stock to SELL due to it not being the 23 markets they had predicted. "By exceeding our initial projections, Apple has once again made us look like chumps and idiots, and we, in turn, need to respond irrationally to their corporate malfeasance," said Short Sell Stock, Inc. CEO Schlubby P. Moneybags. 

Nothing in this article is even tangentally related to Apple stock, but hey, keep grinding that axe. You must be fun at parties.

libertyforall View Post

Unfortunately, AT&Ts building penetration is pretty poor.

Compared to other carriers, does AT&T use frequencies less conducive to building penetration? Or is this just a personal observation?

• Reply 19 of 25
    larz2112larz2112 Posts: 291member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

I really wish they would use standard abbreviations for the states, and not have "La." and "N.J." and "Texas" and "Miss." and "Ark." and "Calif." and "Fla." and "Virgin Islands" all in the same listing.  Really!  Some with two letter abbreviations, some with three, or four, or completely spelled out.  Terrible editing.

Maybe this will help: https://www.usps.com/send/official-abbreviations.htm

It seems like the majority of people who write for internet sites, including ABC News and CNN, have little to no journalistic background, let alone a journalism degree. Grammatical, stylistic and spelling errors consistently appear in their articles. It seems like the only qualification these sites require is an internet connection to upload your poorly written articles. Unfortunately, when it comes to internet "journalism", the mantra is "get it done as quickly and cheaply as possible" and not "get it done correctly".

• Reply 20 of 25
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member

It's odd because my city, Columbia, Missouri, just got LTE last week, yet, they don't officially list us, yet! Works for me though, it's about damn time!