First look: Google Glass unboxing, setup, and first impressions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Glass, the pet project of Google co-founder Sergey Brin, is arguably the most hyped device yet in the emerging wearable computing market. Here's a first look at the test hardware that's been made available to a limited number of developers.

Glass

Unboxing

The Glass packaging is wonderfully executed. It ships in its outer box, so there's no wasted packaging. It's a matte black box that uses heavy stock, and ours survived overnight shipping without damage to the black finish.

Glass

Inside are two clip-on lenses ? one clear, one tinted. These can be used to make Glass look more like traditional glasses, or like sunglasses. We did not use either of these when wearing Glass out in the wild.

Also included are a power supply, flat Micro USB cable, a soft bag to carry Glass in when not in use, and paper instructions with comments about whether Glass is appropriate or not in all situations or environments.

Glass

Setup

Google Glass is, frankly, a pain to setup. We started out using an Android Nexus device running the latest stock Jelly Bean, hoping for the best possible experience, but it didn't work out that way.

Setup requires visiting a website, selecting a Google account for use, and setting up a Wi-Fi network. The Web page returns a QR code with the instruction to take a picture of the QR code with Glass to get it to join the network.

Glass Setup

First problem: QR codes are not human-readable. As such, if you mistyped, the QR code will not help you verify it.

Second problem: Composing a shot with Glass is difficult. You can look at something and hope it's in frame, only to have to delete it and take the picture again.

Third problem: The glossy screens ons Nexus devices pose additional issues. We were only able to get it to recognize the QR code by performing setup on a MacBook Air display. If you're using an extra-glossy screen, Glass will take the photo but may be unable to recognize the QR code. As such, you will not join the network or your Google account.

Navigating Google Glass

Primarily, the wearer has to wake Glass up with either a head tilt (the default is 30 degrees), or a tap on the side of the temple, followed by speaking the words "Okay, Glass."

Here are some of the navigation options currently available in the latest version of the Glass software:
  • Scroll ? Slide your finger forward on the touchpad to scroll down. Prior to a recent update, swiping down would bring up options to delete, or drill down in hierarchical menu structures.
  • Zoom ? Slide two fingers forward or backward to zoom. This is similar to two-finger scrolling on a Mac, except that it's swiping side to side.
  • Look around ? With two fingers down on the touchpad, move your head around to pan.
  • Click ? As you look around, you can tap to select anything in the center of the screen.
Glass POI

When controlling Glass via voice, Google's software, like Apple's Siri, understands follow-up questions in context. In one example, the question "How tall is the Eiffel Tower?" can be followed up with "When was it built?" Glass will know that "it" is referring to the Eiffel Tower.

After getting Google Glass all set up and becoming acquainted with its navigation, a key question remains: What's it good for?

Driving directions

To get started, pair Glass with an Android device, then install the MyGlass app. Driving directions are not available with an Apple iOS device without jailbreaking and using @b3ll's notification hacks for Glass. This allows Apple Maps notifications to be passed to Glass.

To search locations, say, "Okay, Glass, search for [NAME OF PLACE]." You can call or get directions for the place, and the system shows a nice 3D navigation screen with voice and step-by-step instructions.

Glass Navigation

Unfortunately, we found Google Glass can't be used in bright sunlight. To drive with the accessory, we had to lower the sun visor in order to see the map in Glass.

Adding contacts can be difficult. When we started with Glass, we found we had to explicitly add which contacts we wanted to be able to talk, message, or have a Google Hangout with through MyGlass app.

Until this was done, we could only initiate contact with contacts that had been explicitly added. However, we could reply to contacts who e-mailed us, even if they weren't on our list.

Once the contact issues are resolved, e-mail is easy to use. Google Glass can accurately dictate messages through voice, as advertised.

We did find it annoying that the system automatically adds a "Sent from my Google Glass" signature to every e-mail. In addition, this is hidden when viewing an e-mail thread on Glass.

Phone calls

Glass acts as a Bluetooth handsfree device for calls and Hangouts, but it has no speaker. Instead, it uses bone conduction to transfer audio to your head. In practice, we could feel the subtle vibrations on the side of our heads.

Glass

There is no volume control. In order to hear in noisy environments we had best results by putting our fingers in our ears. Glass does display in the activity stream a nice image of the contact, contact's name and elapsed time of the call.

Glass Calling

Google Hangouts

Text-based Google Hangouts work great with Glass. Like most things the system does, it's possible to have Glass read messages aloud with speech synthesis, or to swipe through the text.

Video hangouts, however, are another story, because Glass isn't able to take a front-facing picture of your face. As a result, in a conventional hangout with friends, a Glass user can only show their friends what they are looking at ? not their own face.

News

We added official apps for CNN and The New York Times to Glass via the MyGlass app. Every few minutes, these would check for the latest headlines. Glass then delivers a story with a picture, and the ability to read the summary aloud.

Glass News

We didn't add Tumblr, Elle, Evernote, Facebook or Twitter. One of the cautions from Professor Steve Mann who has been working on wearable computing for years is the importance of restricting who has write-access to your eyeballs. This caution seems more important than ever. It is one thing to get periodic updates and another thing to drown while drinking from a firehose of updates. When using a phone, you mediate that firehose by putting the phone away or switching to other apps.

Still, the news applications do work well. The stories appear with nice photographs, short summaries, and having them read aloud provides a convenient summary of the story. We weren't sure what semantic analysis is being conducted to make the summary or even whether it is Google or the news source providing the summary, but it seems to be working.

Glass NYT

Where does Google Glass go from here?

In its current incarnation, it feels like Glass is still very young, and there's a lot more it can do. What if the apps on your phone were to become apps for Glass? This is starting to happen, albeit slowly.

PrivatBank is one of the financial institutions working on a Glass app. Users can view their balance, withdraw cash at an ATM, fuel up at gas stations, and make video calls to their personal banker. This appears to be using a QR code system, or taking photographs with Glass of bills to pay them.

In the future, Glass could become a great platform for augmented reality. The hardware already utilizes the 3D accelerometer, compass and GPS of a connected Android device. We imagine notifications in the viewfinder could eventually augment what we are seeing, with data from Wikipedia or a service like Layar. But Google Glass is not there ? yet.

At the moment, Glass is merely an accessory for a smartphone, but it's not a replacement. For traditional users, Glass might make sense if someone rigorously uses their calendar and needs reminders of what's next to stay on schedule.

The headmounted camera only seems to make sense for a few use cases, where it might be important to see what a caller is looking at rather than their face (surgery, aircraft and automotive maintenance, virtual field trips). It's possible that Google is trying to replace pulling out a phone to take a picture or video the same way the iPhone replaced consumer digital cameras.

The truism is that the best camera is the one that's always with you. This becomes the best camera that's always ready on your head. But even then, it's too hard to compose a picture or avoid making your video chat partner seasick.

In all, we found these experiences on the early build of Google Glass provided to developers just don't replace our smartphone experience. Wearable computing will be a rapidly evolving field in the years to come, but for now Glass is meant for developers, enthusiast, and only the most early of adopters.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 122
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

When controlling Glass via voice, Google's software, like Apple's Siri, understands follow-up questions in context. In one example, the question "How tall is the Eiffel Tower?" can be followed up with "When was it built?" Glass will know that "it" is referring to the Eiffel Tower.

Siri doesn't do that for me.  Second question just brought up a definition of the word "built", including its score on a Scrabble board, but no mention of the Eiffel Tower.

• Reply 2 of 122
    bmason1270bmason1270 Posts: 258member
    Some things sound cool and convenient but it will likely be priced to high for an accessory.
  • Reply 3 of 122
    fotoformatfotoformat Posts: 302member

I nearly stopped reading at the three "setting-up" problems... but felt like being amused whilst the kettle was boiling. Then when I got to, "In order to hear in noisy environments we had best results by putting our fingers in our ears" I almost spilled my hot tea. Glowing review it wasn't... entertaining laughable reading it became!

• Reply 4 of 122
    solomansoloman Posts: 228member
    I just don't need to be that connected.
  • Reply 5 of 122
    So it's impossible to see in sunlight and hard to hear in noisy environments? Guess Sergey doesn't get outside much.
  • Reply 6 of 122
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

This forum really needs to set up an Alternative Devices section like MacRumors did.

• Reply 7 of 122

The news headlines look like something out of Bing... or Windows 8.

• Reply 8 of 122
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member

I really hope Google Glass flops and this sort of thing remains in the spy glasses on eBay sector.

• Reply 9 of 122
    kdarling wrote: »
    This forum really needs to set up an Alternative Devices section like MacRumors did.

Why? Nobody made you read it.
  • Reply 10 of 122
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    fotoformat wrote: »
    I nearly stopped reading at the three "setting-up" problems... but felt like being amused whilst the kettle was boiling. Then when I got to, "In order to hear in noisy environments we had best results by putting our fingers in our ears" I almost spilled my hot tea. Glowing review it wasn't... entertaining laughable reading it became!

On top of that, of course, are the problems with the entire concept:

1. Many places won't allow you into the building with the device, so it's hardly going to allow you to remain connected all the time.

2. Many people are going to refuse to have anything to do with you if you wear the device.

Clearly, it's a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.
  • Reply 11 of 122
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Are the images in the article the images that Glass shows?  Why do they have button icons at the bottom?

• Reply 12 of 122
    boriscletoboriscleto Posts: 159member

Segway Mk II.

• Reply 13 of 122

We are the Borg. Resistance as you know it is over. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own.

• Reply 14 of 122
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Google Glass is such a joke. I already read an article written by a developer that "won" one of the first ones they were gouging people $1500 for them.  He wore prescription glasses and said he couldn't wear these things for long periods of time because it gave him eye strain.  Sorry, but I already wear prescription glasses and know not to put something in front of one of my eyes that isn't something to assist in helping my eyesight.  I've read some articles written from ophthalmologists that didn't seem to be as suckered into Google Glass as others have and they had about 2 or 3 serious concerns about the long term usage of these things.  These things are already banned or will be banned in a lot of places so why bother buying something you'll end up having to constantly take on/off and may end up not actually wearing them.  People tend to not want to wear something unless they have to, or they just like the fad based fashion statements.

I don't know about anyone else, but these things look ridiculous and my instant reaction to seeing someone wear these things make me laugh uncontrollably as I ask the proverbial question.  You spent how much for things that make you look ridiculous? 

• Reply 15 of 122
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmason1270 View Post

Why? Nobody made you read it.

I didn't read the article and I think it's dumb to have this here.   AI should have an Android related site if they want to post this type of stuff and then attract a different crowd  AI used to be only Mac Related where they only posted articles i was actually interested in reading.  Now it's posting things that aren't Mac related and it's annoying that they waste their time with it.

• Reply 16 of 122
    jcallowsjcallows Posts: 150member
    There are pictures of every angle of these glasses except for the one that matters the most-- the front.
  • Reply 17 of 122
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member

This is a weird product right now, but you have to start somewhere! (Starting in public so soon, rather than staying in the lab? That's asking a lot of time and money of developers, and risks bad PR/rush judgments. I'd have kept it under wraps until something more useful was ready—think how many years Apple kept their touch products behind closed doors before letting them out.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Siri doesn't do that for me.  Second question just brought up a definition of the word "built", including its score on a Scrabble board, but no mention of the Eiffel Tower.

The author didn't mean that Siri knows about the Eiffel Tower, but that it "understands follow-up questions in context." Which is certainly true, and is a constant part of how I use Siri. But Siri and Glass and others don't all respond to the same set of questions. Kudos to Google on delivering the building date!

(I agree about AI straying too much from Apple. I'm fine with non-Mac stories, but they should be Apple-related, or kept in a separate section. I'm happy to see this Glass article, but maybe in a different feed. Android stuff makes sense in the main feed only when a direct comparison/connection, not forced, is made with Apple.)

• Reply 18 of 122
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Nor for me.  I think the author is confused.  This is a feature that Google pronounces as an advantage over Siri.  Quite frankly it is impressive.  Siri is pretty dumb in comparison.

• Reply 19 of 122
    drblank wrote: »
    I didn't read the article and I think it's dumb to have this here.   AI should have an Android related site if they want to post this type of stuff and then attract a different crowd  AI used to be only Mac Related where they only posted articles i was actually interested in reading.  Now it's posting things that aren't Mac related and it's annoying that they waste their time with it.

You call it dumb for being here but you don't see the irony in being "click bait".

At least read it if you are going to post a "dumb" comment.
  • Reply 20 of 122
    suddenly newtonsuddenly newton Posts: 13,819member

Google and Apple have very different incubation philosophies. Apple tends to design and perfect, and it's all done behind closed door until it's ready, then they unveil it. They pull the tarp off and reveal something cool and sexy and desirable. You gotta credit Steve Jobs for that. Google tends to experiment out in the open. Just about everything they do is "beta" or "developers only" which gives them lots and lots of feedback, and presumably they are guided by that feedback. This can be a blessing and a curse: a blessing because they can crowdsource ideas from interested developers or early adopters, but also a curse because it can limit feedback to only those use cases that are of interest to geeks and tech-saavy users (who tend to be early adopters). One of the things Apple prides itself on is sitting at the intersection of technology and liberal arts, so they used that intuition to guide their product and service designs. It comes across as "simpler" or "locked down" but often times that's exactly what consumers want. The consumer market at large doesn't want to tinker with technology and solve those problems of integrating it into their lives. They want solutions, not DIY platforms.

My prediction is that Glass isn't the next big thing. It'll be very popular with a subset of people who want to play cyborgs, but it will not displace smartphones, tablets or PCs.