Apple's TV service would pay networks to allow ad skipping, report says

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Adding to rumors of Apple's supposed set-top cable box plans, a report on Monday claims the company is in the thick of talks with media executives over a "premium" level of the alleged service that would allow users to skip ads entirely.

Citing people familiar with the ongoing discussions, The Wall Street Journal's Jessica Lessin reports that Apple is pitching a system that would have it pay media companies for the lost revenue every time a viewer skips a commercial.

According to the report, Apple recently informed networks about the "premium" version of the as-yet-unannounced service, which would theoretically have users of the proposed service pay Apple for the ability to skip ads.

Lessin points out that, while the system has yet to be detailed, similar offerings found heavy resistance from broadcasters. For example, Dish Network launched an ad-skipping technology in 2012, and was subsequently sued for its efforts.

Apple is already seeing resistance from cable providers over its streaming services. When HBO launched the HBO Go app for Apple TV, some cable and satellite companies pushed back by refusing to authenticate the app for streaming.

With the advent of the DVR, however, an increasing amount of America's television-watching public are fast-forwarding through commercials. This could give Apple some leverage in negotiations, though details regarding the talks are few and far between.

Rumors of an Apple-branded set-top cable box have been floating around the Web for nearly one year, with initial reports of the company's alleged plans coming in August 2012. Unlike DVRs, which store content on-site, Apple's rumored system would be cloud-based, meaning enhanced viewing flexibility and data handling.

Fanning the flames of an Apple partnership with at least one cable company, currently thought to be Time Warner, both CEO Tim Cook and SVP of Internet Software and Services Eddy Cue attended this year's Sun Valley conference and met with a number of media firms. The event, hosted by New York-based investment bank Allen & Co., brings together moguls from the media and tech industries for four days of lectures, discussions, and networking.

When reporters at Sun Valley asked Cue about possible discussions with cable providers, the Apple executive said, ?There are cable companies here??

Comments

• Reply 1 of 67
    Commercials pay for the programming. If you don't want to sit through a commercial, having the option to pay to skip it makes complete sense.

TV companies should love this, as they still get their revenue stream. Advertisers should love this because they aren't paying for an ad that is skipped over.

Users will whine about this because they want everything for free and think paying for their entertainment is absurd.
  • Reply 2 of 67
    mikejonesmikejones Posts: 323member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jojade View Post

Commercials pay for the programming. If you don't want to sit through a commercial, having the option to pay to skip it makes complete sense.

Then why am I being charged for cable, Hulu Plus or AppleTV content if the commercials are paying for the content?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Jojade View Post

Users will whine about this because they want everything for free and think paying for their entertainment is absurd.

Or they will just find it absurd to be double-charged just to not see commercials? For example, I pay for Hulu Plus and yet still have to watch commercials. Where is the money that I and others are paying going to if not to pay for the programming?

• Reply 3 of 67
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I would like to be able to buy seasons of specific shows and / or events rather than an entire channel assuming the cost was reasonable.
  • Reply 4 of 67
    It wasn't too many years ago that a standard commercial break was 2 min, 2 sec long. Today, there are often 4 and 5 minute commercial breaks. Hulu Plus was great when their commercials were just a quick 15 second interruption, but now you get a minute or even two on popular shows on Hulu plus and thanks to technology, you CAN'T skip the commercials on Hulu. I'm paying $8 a month for Hulu Plus and honestly, the no-skip commercials are starting to grate on me.

Yet, HBO has never had commercials and they seem to do just fine. They have enough cash on hand to create The Sopranos, and Game of Thrones, etc.
  • Reply 5 of 67

I don't mind watching commercials if the TV is free. I don't mind paying a cable company $60+/mo. if there are no commercials.

I do mind paying $60+/mo. to my cable company AND having to sit through inane commercials! :)

I cut my cable 5 years ago! :)

• Reply 6 of 67
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    mikejones wrote: »
    Then why am I being charged for cable, Hulu Plus or AppleTV content if the commercials are paying for the content?

Or they will just find it absurd to be double-charged just to not see commercials? For example, I pay for Hulu Plus and yet still have to watch commercials. Where is the money that I and others are paying going to if not to pay for the programming?

You're not paying the full price though. The subscription amount pays for part, and the commercials pay for the other part.

Would you rather Hulu Plus cost (double? Triple?)
  • Reply 7 of 67
    pendergastpendergast Posts: 1,358member
    It wasn't too many years ago that a standard commercial break was 2 min, 2 sec long. Today, there are often 4 and 5 minute commercial breaks. Hulu Plus was great when their commercials were just a quick 15 second interruption, but now you get a minute or even two on popular shows on Hulu plus and thanks to technology, you CAN'T skip the commercials on Hulu. I'm paying $8 a month for Hulu Plus and honestly, the no-skip commercials are starting to grate on me.

Yet, HBO has never had commercials and they seem to do just fine. They have enough cash on hand to create The Sopranos, and Game of Thrones, etc.

And you pay for HBO on top of what you pay for cable. So that argument doesn't hold water.
  • Reply 8 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendergast View Post

And you pay for HBO on top of what you pay for cable. So that argument doesn't hold water.

I wish I could only pay for Formula One and view it online. Same with Tennis, Golf and well that's about it! Maybe Ironman.

I would gladly do this and watch it via my ATV.

Fingers crossed! It's coming. :)

P.S. Couldn't Apple buy one of the Sat TV networks and just bypass all the greedy regional cable companies. How many Apple customers would switch to an Apple TV provider? All of them?

Then the set top box could be an AppleTV...All problems solved! :)

• Reply 9 of 67
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    I'd pay double to a service ($8x2) if there were no ads and more content, sure.
  • Reply 10 of 67
    From my view... Apple is trying to bypass every TV station in the world....

It will provide TV viewing on a on-demand basis.. with 2 options
    - with adverts inserted to local area/country, time demographic, and program being viewed
    - without adverts, paid subscription..

This is what Apple CEO said, when he said "the model hasn't changed since 1960's"

This will open up even more TV to rest of world.. than what is currently provided
  • Reply 11 of 67

Quote:

Originally Posted by Attewell View Post

I hope so....I detest our cable company! I hate the clunky box, their clumsy interface and crappy cables everywhere! Ugh! It's so 90's!

:)

• Reply 12 of 67
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    mikejones wrote: »

There are other costs you know, Hulu doesn't get to you by magic.
  • Reply 13 of 67
    rednivalrednival Posts: 331member
    I hope if Apple does something with television that is more innovative than a settop box you pay to have skip commercials. That is simply copying Dish's bad idea with permission from the networks .

I am also fine with my clunky remote so a new interface isn't that big of deal for me.

What I am not fine with is paying for shopping channels and other networks I never watch. If Apple can find someway to make channels like apps, so I pick and choose the ones I want and can remove them whenever, then they are onto something. Even better if I can pay extra to have no commercials.

I did not get commercial skipping when Dish did it either. It really doesn't bother me to skip commercials on my DVR using my remote, so paying for commercial skipping is less than interesting to me. It's pointless.
  • Reply 14 of 67
    attewell wrote: »

It will provide TV viewing on a on-demand basis.. with 2 options
    - with adverts inserted to local area/country, time demographic, and program being viewed
    - without adverts, paid subscription..

This is what Apple CEO said, when he said "the model hasn't changed since 1960's"

This will open up even more TV to rest of world.. than what is currently provided

Do you have any idea how much a paid subscription is going to be? HBO alone is $15.
  • Reply 15 of 67
    rednival wrote: »
    I hope if Apple does something with television that is more innovative than a settop box you pay to have skip commercials. That is simply copying Dish's bad idea with permission from the networks .

I am also fine with my clunky remote so a new interface isn't that big of deal for me.

What I am not fine with is paying for shopping channels and other networks I never watch. If Apple can find someway to make channels like apps, so I pick and choose the ones I want and can remove them whenever, then they are onto something. Even better if I can pay extra to have no commercials.

I did not get commercial skipping when Dish did it either. It really doesn't bother me to skip commercials on my DVR using my remote, so paying for commercial skipping is less than interesting to me. It's pointless.

Problem is that those networks that do don't like are owned by the ones you do.
  • Reply 16 of 67
    allenbfallenbf Posts: 993member
    I don't mind watching commercials if the TV is free. I don't mind paying a cable company $60+/mo. if there are no commercials.

I do mind paying $60+/mo. to my cable company AND having to sit through inane commercials! :)

Nice. I am cutting mine this fall. Aereo launches in Tampa and we rarely view other channels aside from local networks. I tried an indoor antenna but never got a DVR and we never watch live tv. So....come on Aereo!!!
  • Reply 17 of 67
    fithianfithian Posts: 82member
    If you have to have your full-time crap cable channels, then commercials pay for you to watch. If you are only interested in the networks, then over-the-air tv is free and with a digital recorder/tuner you can skip commercials when you watch them. I haven't watched commercials in years, and I don't have cable. EyeTV. Plex works with EyeTV recordings and some TV's have Plex. And Plex is free. Unless you are more than 50 miles away from tv stations, skip cable. All of the great programs on HBO, Showtime, etc, can be watched in marathon mode a year later on Netflix. It's better to watch that way, no wondering what will happen next week. DBS satellite systems can pick up most sports events without a subscription. But then, how much can you watch?
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Dup post
  • Reply 18 of 67
    Dup post
  • Reply 20 of 67

The $60 is for the cable company's operating costs. Cable networks are expensive to build and maintain. Ad revenue goes to the channels not the cable company.